Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I have a newly discovered and rotted rear sub frame on my 2010 w204 and a whopping 43k miles. The car is in mint condition and has been kept inside when not driven. I noticed a chirping from the rear and took it to the dealer. My control arm bracket completely broke off on the left side and the right side is also cracked. The dealer quoted me $2500 plus tax. I have decided to have a local shop do the work and source a used sub frame. My question is making sure I order the right accessory parts as it appears MB has changed part numbers over the years. With the used sub frame, should I also order replacement bushings and mounts, and does anyone know the right part numbers for the right bushings and mounts? I have searched many sites and just cannot narrow it down to the right extra parts. Also, I read something about updating the mounting bolts as well. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Also, for info I spoke to MB customer care and they completely said not our problem. Very frustrating for a luxury car to have a known structural issue and ignore it instead of stepping up to the plate and helping their buyers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry guys, not trying to get anyone to do my research. I just received the subframe. The circled parts are the mounts and bushings I am inquiring about. MB has changed part numbers over the years and just want to get the right parts if I need them. Thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
Dont even bother changing them unless they have damage, chances are that you will never need to change them over the life that you have the car for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the response. I have ordered the stretch bolts to mount the subframe to the frame, but in looking at the parts diagram it appears all of the other bolts connected to the subframe are also one time use stretch bolts. Do all of these need replaced or are the main 4 mounting bolts the only worry? An example would be part #120, N000000004723, which is a hexalbular bolt as well and mounts the stop to the frame.

·
Registered
147 Posts
To tell you the truth, I have never changed the bolts when I have done a cross member swap, But I am in Australia, we dont suffer with the cross member rot that you guys do, I have not encountered a snapped cross member bolt yet,
I supose that it would be a good idea to check the bolts for fatigue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sioux Falls, SD. They dont use salt. Heavy snowfall winters, and they use sand for winter roads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bottom end is dropped. Getting closer to done. If you have access to a hydraulic lift and a transmission jack and decent mechanical skills, you can tackle this job. Sorry, blurry pic

1 - 9 of 9 Posts