Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes SL320
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post and sorry that its a problem post. I have used the search facility and looked through the numerous posts on faulty roofs but can't seem to find anything that resembles my problem. I love the car but just starting to get a few niggles with it, and need a bit of advice. I have a 97 320SL.

In the last month auto gearbox seized, water pump started leaking and its needed two new tyres. Got a second hand gear box (from Dronfields, Breakers specializing in MB), I've replaced the water pump, had a full service and two new tyres, £3000 spent.

Now after getting that lot sorted I was some what disappointed when I was closing the roof on the car and it got stuck with the roof upright for no reason half way through its closing procedure. I read the hand book which showed me how to lower it manually and with the help of the special tool for locking it I thought it was sorted. Now it wont open electrically.

This is what happens:

When I press the button the red light does flash. The windows lower, the rear panel lifts and the second part the rear window folds up but the roof wont unlock above the windscreen. I have opened it manually and the pressed the button to see if that helps but it makes no difference. It does look like the passenger side (Left hand side as UK car) wants to lift but the drivers side certainly doesn't. Also when the drivers window goes up or down it carries on clunking even after the window is completely open / shut. This didn't happen prior to the roof getting stuck.

At the moment I can open the roof manually but its not right, What do you think is the problem? From reading the threads on here I'm begining to think its the controller.

Best Regards

Brendan

·
Outstanding Contributor
2003 SL500, 2003 SL55, and four R129s
4,307 Posts
The windows lower, the rear panel lifts and the second part the rear window folds up but the roof wont unlock above the windscreen.
At this point where it stops I would remove the electrical connector to the top controller and verify that all of the limit switches for the system are giving the correct signals to the controller. You will want to have a basic electronic multimeter or other means for checking electrical continuity for this. Post back if you want to proceed...

·
Registered
Mercedes SL320
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll have a go at checking the electrical connections this weekend

Brendan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts