Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1985 380SE
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there's a yellowed, whitish plastic canister about the size of a peanut can bracketed onto the top of my fuel tank, accessible from the trunk. it has no hoses coming out of it that I can see, and just a three-prong plug on the top of it.

it may or may not be a part of the central locking harness?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
That's the fuel sender.

talbir

·
Registered
1985 380SE
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry, I should have been a little more accurate. it's not actually "on top" of the fuel tank, it's bracketed alongside it, and not connected to it in any way. here's a pic of the mystery part

·
Registered
03 ML500, 94 CADILLAC DEVILLE CONCOURS, 350ZR
975 Posts
OHH I love this game. "What is this". Too bad Talbir got it right

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Interesting..I would have thought that to be a vacuum resevoir of some sort.. I always understood the fuel sender to be only the tube/float that sticks down into the tank.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1985 380SE
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, that sounds more like what I would have thought, too. the only thing that's still boggling my mind is that there is no hose coming out of this thing at all, so I don't see how it could be used for vacuum. and as for fuel, unless it contains some kind of computer, or a little gnome that listens to the gas sloshing around in the tank next to it and guesstimates how much fuel is left, I can't imagine how it could possibly be related. I'm trying to get it disconnected from that bracket but I'll have to buy a longer extension, so that's on hold for today. thanks for the ideas.

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
5,457 Posts
Hi all,

It is the Anti Towing Sensor ..... part of the alarm system.

I'm really getting my money's worth out of those MB CDs!!

Cheers, MBL

Attachments

·
Registered
1985 380SE
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow, not what I expected! although my original thought was that it might be a sensor for auto-leveling (till I realized that my car doesn't have auto-leveling suspension).

I guess I'm safe removing it, since I'm going to be replacing the anti-theft system anyway. thanks MBL!

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
5,457 Posts
Well, you were on the right track...

It is the sensor for Auto Un-Levelling.............. Get the nets!! :eek:)

MBL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts