Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it might not be that stupid question after all:

I saw a car today that had an engine fire and the owner replaced the engine because of that.

There is a problem however.
He lost the paperwork for that job.
I would like to know the size of it.

The owner claims it is 420.
But I drove it and I have a weird feeling the car has a 5.0 put into. It is simply too strong for a 420. No way it is 420. I had 3 420 and it is impossible. This car flies.

By the way - the year is 87.

I want to buy this car...
Is there a way to find out?

·
Registered
88 560SEL
114 Posts
Only safe way is to find the engine number. 420's engine numbers starts with 116, 500's or 560's with 117 Its chiseled in on the engine block just below the left cylinder head, to the rear of the engine where the brake servo is placed. Its pretty tricky to spot behind all the pipes and cables. Try using a small mirror!

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
The 500(US spec) would actually have less HP than the 420. A 560 would have more HP than the 420, though.

Somewhere on the engine will be the number 116 or 117. The 116 signifies the M116 engine which should be the 420 engine, while the 117 signifies the M117 engine which has the 500 and 560 engines. Hope this helps.

EDIT: just saw what the poster before mine wrote.. and it was mentioned to check the engraved numbers on the engine block and/or valve covers. Sorry for the repost.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts