Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had replaced the ignition coil (Bosch 00107) for the #4 cyl about a month ago when the P0304 came up. After replacing it, it ran fine until yesterday. The car started shaking again, CEL came up and I found out that the P0304 came back again. I replaced all of the O2 sensors in the beginning of the year already and the plugs were replaced at 60K mi. They were bosch with 4 electrodes on the tip. It now has 110k mi. Is it time to replace the plugs again? Hopefully it is not the O2 sensors :)
This time, I plan on switching the coil from #1 with #4 and #2 with #5 along with the plug cables. If that does not work, I will replace the plugs again and see what happens.
2 days ago, my rear windows regulator went out again. I replaced this in 2010. Can't believe it is broken again. Ordered another one but am not happy to see it happens on the same window :(
Needless to say, it has not been a good week for me.

Any advice anyone could give me or cheer me up, I appreciate it much. :D

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Those stupid +4 plugs are not double platinum, so yep, they're due to be changed. Just go single electrode, double platinum.

When you do that, be sure to inspect and test each of your ignition wires, replacing any that are out of range. For now I wouldn't bother swapping things around since you need to do the plugs and you can test the wires at that time. BTW, note that the indicated cylinder number is not foolproof. Mine had a pending code for No. 3, but I turned out to have a bad wire on No. 4.

Buy the green thing and a few rivets and just fix your window regulator. But you have my sympathies. ;)

And hey, it's Christmas. Maybe Santa will bring you some new plugs and a six pack to enjoy while you're changing them. And a basic VOM if you don't own one. :D :D

Good luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would you recommend these plugs?
AUTOLITE Part # APP3924 Double Platinum
or the CHAMPION Part # 7071 {#RC12PYP} Double Platinum Power
or any other brand?
thanks

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
I think most people will recommend the conventional brands for MB, Bosch or NGK.

That said, Bosch 7422 is noted as the closest thing to the OE plug. NGK makes one as well but it's more expensive. Some have touted the NGK 7090, which is single platinum, but seems to work well and is the least expensive. These are all resistor-style plugs and your OE was non-resistor.

Some also tout the iridium plugs, which is what I now have in my car (I had a coupon). They are, IMHO, not worth the extra money and made no difference in how the car runs.

Personally I would not run Autolite or Champion in my benz unless nothing else were available. (And personally, I've never had any luck with Champion plugs in anything but an old Honda motorcycle I had.)

Hope that helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Ah, but at the time there was a deal of $2 off each (if I remember correctly). So depending on current deals, and how cheap you are, Autolites are a valid option. If pricing were not an issue I would probably go with Bosch, although in reality I doubt there is any difference between the manufacturers.

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Ah, but at the time there was a deal of $2 off each (if I remember correctly). So depending on current deals, and how cheap you are, Autolites are a valid option. If pricing were not an issue I would probably go with Bosch, although in reality I doubt there is any difference between the manufacturers.
If you're wanting a single Iridium plug that is a viable option and if you had a rebate, that's a good deal. Please do continue to update us at milestones, nugent, if you don't mind.

My comments went more to using the platinum Autolite variant (the APP number referenced by the OP). Not that there is anything wrong with the brand, that was my brand of choice in any domestic before I bought German. Back in the days before copper core and platinum and iridium, I had better luck with Autolite (and better life) than with AC or Champion, the two big competitors at that time.

Good luck, whichever way you go. I'm still irked about the Beru snafu! :D

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Avoid use of the spark plugs intended for domestic car makes.
Mercedes recommends BOSCH, BERU and NGK
Use approved OEM parts and lubricants ONLY. There is a reason they cost more and it's not because of the name!

regards.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts