Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 S430 AMG wannabe
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I have horible steering switches on my pride and joy I just acquired. They were VERY sticky at one time (I was told by the previous owner), and she tried to clean them with rubbing alcohol. Long story short, most of the gray paint came off the switches.

I plan on buying new ones, and while I'm at it, probably the wooden steering wheel as well.

Questions:

1. will I get ANY malfunction messages if I take the NEG cable of the battery while performing the swap?
2. if the key is out of the ignition, can I perform the swap without disconnecting the battery?
3. where can I find these switches (except Ebay and dealers)?

Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
96 and 08 911 turbos
2,988 Posts
1. any malfunction messages you get can be cured by moving the steering wheel from lock to lock (ESP, BAS, etc.)

2. Sure. All you are doing is taking the airbag off the wheel. Don't unplug the airbag and don't get all wild with the tools and it won't be an issue. If you are really concerned, cover everything with a microfiber or duct tape or something.

3. Those are your only real choices. there is not really an aftermarket solution.
You can try calling Sticky No More - Exotic Cars Interior Refinishing Services to see if they will refinish them. Should be much cheaper.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
If you disconnect the battery (a good idea when you're working around an airbag), see post 14 at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1302190-ive-had-2.html#post2216730 - you may or may not need it.

While you're at it, check out the W220 S-Class Encyclopedia sticky, if you haven't already. Top of the W220 forum, in the stickies. It will save you time and money.

I saw the buttons for $50 per side on ebay this week. They looked brand new, and I would not have a problem using them. If you have yours refinished, let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
330 Posts
All four buttons are a single piece. Dealer retail was around $160, and I paid them an hour's labor to install. Well worth not having to get into the SRS. Part # A 220 821 06 79 1265, plus color code.

·
Registered
2002 S430 AMG wannabe
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dealer wants $205.75 (CA tax included) plus $145 for install. Thanks for the link OliverK, contacted 'Sticky no more', and I'll see what they want for reconditioning the existing ones.

The ones on Ebay (50 per side), are OK, but one side is already showing a white scratch. I'd rather get the brand new ones.

Someone posted the info (no link) on another forum, where some company refurbishes the steering wheel (adding the wood), for $499 (with core exchange). I don't know if they are still in business (the post is from 2010). If someone has that link I'd appreciate that too. Nothing wrong with my steering wheel, but I'd like to add the one with wood, and a wood shifter knob.

I like the car so much, I am shopping for another one as we speak (for the wifey, so she doesn't keep snatching this one!). :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts