Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 230 Kompressor 2002
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have been reading all the posts about the missfire but mine is a bit different, my car is a 2002 SLK 230 Kompressor, I started having some problems to start it, it takes too long and sometimes it kind of starts but is like an incomplete start and it stall for a few seconds, I belive its the fuel filter because sometimes the fuel in heres has a lot of dirt or maybe the pump, but the car runs great, I change the sparkplugs today for Iridium ones and it feels very powerful and most of the times if I drive agressive keeping the rpm high it will start perfect the next time, also I connect the scaner at autozone and get a code P0301 (cyl 1 missfire)

This is my car info
Year: 2002
Make: Mercedes-Benz
Model: SLK 230 Kompressor
Engine: 2.3
Miles: 49,000

Already Tried:
I change the spark plugs, the air filter and put some inyector cleaner on the last 3 fuel tanks I have filled and get no results, also I have changed last week the No1 coil and the car at the fisrts try was way worse, it took me like 3 trys to been able to start ir but from then on it improved quite a lot, now it only fails like 1 of 10 times, and the failure is now different, now wen it fails it wont start until I try to start it again or when it does it takes like 30 seconds or longer. I take it to Autozone just when I change the coil to see if the code was gone and in the scaner I get a 301 code and also a 101, so I take the MAF sensor and clean it (it had oil on it) with dielectric fluid (any sugestions of what to use for cleaning it better?) I check it again with the scaner and get the same codes (maybe they didnt reset them), the car is running fine except 1 of 10 times and thats just at the starting, the car drives perfect in high and low load and the fuel consumption is good, I wonder if it could be the fuel filter or what else to look for?

Thanks

Rodrigo

·
Registered
2007 SL550
6 Posts
I had the same problem with mine. (only Cylinder #3)
I purchased coil packs and spark plugs from the dealer. No problem now. Coil packs do not last very long. I only have 70k on my '01 230.

I buy my parts from the dealer for "resale" so they were 42 bucks each, only needing 4 wasnt bad. lol.

Try just one for the first cylinder (the first one from the front of the car.)

Hopefully this helps. I usually rely on threads to help me so I hope that I am of help to you.

·
Registered
SLK 230 Kompressor 2002
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I had change the coil for the cyl 1 and it imrpove a lot, but still fails like 1 of 10 times, now tha failure its that it wont start or take too long, so I belive its a fuel filter issue.

Thanks

·
Registered
2002 SLK32 LED taillights. 2002 SLK230 BVRC Ported supercharger ASP pulley Led taillights.
622 Posts
My missfire experience...

First coil #2 failed. Replace it and problem corrected. Then coil #1 failed. Replace it and the problem corrected. Then coil #3 failed... Replaced coils #3 and #4. No more missfires...

·
Registered
2007 SL550
6 Posts
Perhaps it may be a fuel filter. I'm not really great at things and like I said I usually rely on these threads to help me figure things out.

Hope you figure it out!

·
Registered
2001 SLK230
47 Posts
First with almost 50,000 miles on the car would replace the fuel filter(most fuel pumps quit because of having to pump extra pressure what the motor needs plus losses across parcell plugged filter) Cheap insurance anyhow for fuel pump going out-10 bucks or so for a fuel filter.
Second would get a bottle of heat to pour in the gas tank(from auto zone). Heat will burn any water out that is there. Normal injector cleaner does nothing for water just cleans deposits left on injectors from gas(says this on bottles for those that read). After all this if your still getting codes time to look at Plugs etc. Water in fuel can cause multi. codes to set, also cause idling problems but run ok when driving the car hard. Only takes part of a drop of Water to start to plug a injector(idling) but as u drive harder the injector opens more the water is burned threw.
Modern cars try to tell us what is wrong with them but u have to be smart enough to use what the car says for trouble shooting. Some times the code will be right as set
replace a part be on the way down the road, other times have to use what the car(code) says to point in right direction.

·
Registered
SLK 230 Kompressor 2002
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the answers, I have order a fuel filter, anyway it has to be changed soon, for the last 5 days the car has not fail, I dont know if the weather has something to do with this becuase its very cold right now, but its strange having 5 straight days with no faiulres, I will also use the heat i think it could cause not harm and its good to get rid of the water in the tank

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts