Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
C230 2006 and s430 2000
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my mechanic replaced front left wheel bearing I have 5 messages on the cluster: run flat indicator inoperative, active headlights inoperative, ABS, ESP and SRS. Codes found were 5891 check power supply at control unit N47-5(ESP and BAS control module); 5106 L6/1 left front speed sensor; 5126 L6/3 left rear speed sensor and 5939 check component N49 - Mercedes dealership advised me and i replaced steering angle sensor but nothing changed. According to them steering angle sensor was causing speed sensor codes-WRONG. Also navigation works, it will position car initially but while I am driving it is not reading car's position. When I start driving some noise comes first from front and after that from rear left wheel, like the brakes were blocked, sounds like throbbing resistance and disappears. Is is possible that wheel bearing was damaged during replacement and that some sensor is inside of it?
Unrelated to this recent issue, my SRS message can't be erased as well even though I replaced all faulty seat buckle. Code is 91C0 A component of control unit WSS is defective or not calibrated. I am assuming this is passenger seat weight sensor. Can this be calibrated or it needs replacement?

·
Registered
2019 X350d, 2017 GLE500e, 2012 ML350BT (sold), 2013 A200 Exclusive(sold), 2009 ML350CDI(sold)
250 Posts
The bearing contains a series of magnets in one seal. This triggers the abs sensor, which controls the other functions.

I expect your man has installed the bearing in reverse, so the magnets do not trigger. :crybaby2:

Sadly as they remove the bearing it will be damaged, so a new bearing will be required.

Another possibility is a non standard bearing with no magnets was fitted.

·
Banned
C230 2006 and s430 2000
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response. It was NTN bearing, same as the old one which is probably OEM. How do we make sure that the right side goes in, I don't remember seeing any markings. Shouldn't they have magnets on both sides to avoid this kind of mistake in absence of markings?

·
Registered
2019 X350d, 2017 GLE500e, 2012 ML350BT (sold), 2013 A200 Exclusive(sold), 2009 ML350CDI(sold)
250 Posts
Usually they use a different colour for the seal on each side, one to indicate the magnets.

But be warned - NTN probably make the same (or very similar) bearing for another application without the magnets.
The number as etched or stamped into the bearing is only part of the number. It is not uncommon to have 5 or 6 digits marked on the bearing, but if you look at the box it will have 10 to 15 digits. There are other bearings with the same digits on the bearing, but have differing seals, grease, internal clearance, even different ring widths and different bore size.

Unfortunately, a bearing salesman can easily be caught out unless he has sufficient experience and good back up information. And you could imagine the number of requests for ML bearings is negligible compared with say Mazda 323! NTN produce aftermarket application lists for Mazdas, but not for Mercedes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Usually they use a different colour for the seal on each side, one to indicate the magnets.

But be warned - NTN probably make the same (or very similar) bearing for another application without the magnets.
The number as etched or stamped into the bearing is only part of the number. It is not uncommon to have 5 or 6 digits marked on the bearing, but if you look at the box it will have 10 to 15 digits. There are other bearings with the same digits on the bearing, but have differing seals, grease, internal clearance, even different ring widths and different bore size.

Unfortunately, a bearing salesman can easily be caught out unless he has sufficient experience and good back up information. And you could imagine the number of requests for ML bearings is negligible compared with say Mazda 323! NTN produce aftermarket application lists for Mazdas, but not for Mercedes.
Hi, I have an 05 E55 and I’m having the same issue. To clarify to you mean that there are magnets in the bearing itself? I used a kit by Beck/Arnley that included everything (inner/outer bearings/races, seal and lock nut screw, grease cap). I just checked last night and the grease seal includes the coiled metal ring that the speed sensor reads off of. Do you mean to say that the bearing too includes magnets for the speed sensor? Thanks, KWZ

·
Registered
250 Posts
The ML has a drive axle set up which differs entirely from the non drive on the E class.

I have replied in detail on the other website.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts