Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'05 ML350
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone completed this retrofit recently? It seems most going the AVIC-D3 route.
I'm trying to source out the CAN-BUS adaptor and HARNESS, so if anyone's had luck finding these parts (outside of the dealer) recently, please let me know.

I got a quote of $258 for the CAN-BUS adaptor alone from my local Benz dealership. I thought the can-bus and the harnesses were available altogether for under $250 no?

Thanks

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
the D3 install...

I have not changed the MCS in my ML350 yet - but the D# is a oft made upgrade as best value nowadays.

You will be wiring the D3 plug into the ML - so you need a adapter plug, which plugs into the female pug socket coming off the D#, and gives you "pigtails" to splice into, or connect, the existing or new wiring (depending on what you want to do - use existing spekaers or replace.

...Do a board search, I think Woffgang and other have recommended the Metra brand Volkswagen adapter plug, and also posts will give you exactly what pin/color coming off the D3 does what.

Just trying to be helpful.

Personally, on Pioneer I will be going to a their in-dash DVD changer, which also gives full control to the the outboard Pioneer sound processor/amp I plan to dump the "Bose" and directly drive upgraded speakers, and add a powered subwoofer of the subwoofer output of the Pioneer processor...from experience, the right processor, with microphone input, does wonders to tune/compensate for best sound in a laerge SUV...Alpine's top line processor at $2500 has active noise reduction that compensates for background noise too, but too pricey so far..

·
Registered
'99 ML430, 2009 ML350
12 Posts
I did the retrofit one year ago

I found the parts I needed at AmgKit(dot)com by Auto Wheels Direct. I just went to their website a few minutes ago and found they still advertise the Can Bus Adapter for $119, the CAN Adapter Plug for $65 and the Gerate Adapter for $39.

I bought the small Alpine GPS antenna (item number 01T85385w04) that mounts on the dash from PartsStore.com for $25.85. Using this atenna eliminates the need to buy the Splitter/Amp.

·
Registered
'05 ML350
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FlyFast said:
I found the parts I needed at AmgKit(dot)com by Auto Wheels Direct. I just went to their website a few minutes ago and found they still advertise the Can Bus Adapter for $119, the CAN Adapter Plug for $65 and the Gerate Adapter for $39.

I bought the small Alpine GPS antenna (item number 01T85385w04) that mounts on the dash from PartsStore.com for $25.85. Using this atenna eliminates the need to buy the Splitter/Amp.
Thanks FlyFast, just ordered the parts!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts