Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love, love, love my '08 E63. Most comfortable rocketship I've ever driven.

I've been hearing good things about the CL63 and CL65.

My question is simple:

Is there another comfortable "everyday driver" (2 or 4 door) that will give me significantly better performance and "seat of the pants" acceleration than my E63? I can up my price range a bit (CL65 maybe, Brabus NO!) The beautiful Cadillac CTS-V is an obvious answer, but I understand performance is only slightly higher than the E63.

From what I understand my W211 will do 0-60 in around 4.3, 1/4 mile in high 12s, top speed of almost 200 and the all important 60-130 in a little under 11.

If I had the clams, could I get another car that was nearly as comfortable and luxurious as the E63 but significantly faster? What I really, really want is a car that will have so much "punch" when I stomp the accelerator on the freeway that even at 60 mph my head is whipped back and my body is pinned to the seat. High torque, high G force acceleration is what I want.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
2009 E63
557 Posts
Panamera Turbo. Quick, very comfortable, and tunable.

Or if you don't mind smaller, get a new 997.2 TT or the current Turbo S. They have all the amenities and are comfortable, imho.

The best thing about P cars is that you get all the power fun stuff, but in addition you get real handling unlike any Mercedes. I'm a long time P-car owner and am going back to them. I'm putting my E63 up for sale. Sure, it's fast and comfortable but not nearly as fun to drive, and the build quality and reliability of all current Mercedes is suspect. And the depreciation is absolutely absurd.

Personally I have much more fun driving a P-car than an AMG sedan. The chassis and steering is unbelievably tactile feeling, not soft and sloppy like MBs. Plus all of my Porsches have been super reliable and nearly bulletproof.

Good luck finding what does it for you. There's no 100% perfect car out there unfortunately. Owning two or three different cars is really the ticket. :thumbsup:

p.s., think about waiting for the new BMW F10 M5 coming out soon; it will be a very fast sedan with comfort and better handling than an MB.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Panamera Turbo. Quick, very comfortable, and tunable.

Or if you don't mind smaller, get a new 997.2 TT or the current Turbo S. They have all the amenities and are comfortable, imho.

The best thing about P cars is that you get all the power fun stuff, but in addition you get real handling unlike any Mercedes. I'm a long time P-car owner and am going back to them. I'm putting my E63 up for sale. Sure, it's fast and comfortable but not nearly as fun to drive, and the build quality and reliability of all current Mercedes is suspect. And the depreciation is absolutely absurd.

Personally I have much more fun driving a P-car than an AMG sedan. The chassis and steering is unbelievably tactile feeling, not soft and sloppy like MBs. Plus all of my Porsches have been super reliable and nearly bulletproof.

Good luck finding what does it for you. There's no 100% perfect car out there unfortunately. Owning two or three different cars is really the ticket. :thumbsup:

p.s., think about waiting for the new BMW F10 M5 coming out soon; it will be a very fast sedan with comfort and better handling than an MB.
Thanks for the response! I am really attracted to the Panamera. As a middle aged guy with young kids, I really like the flexibility of having a 4 door sedan. Funny thing - in my parking garage, the guy to my left drives a white Panamera and the guy to my right drives a CTS-V. Kind of like all the tough kids sitting at the same lunch table in high school.

So let me ask you this - in terms of raw acceleration and getting that "sledgehammer" feel when you floor it, are the 997.2TT and the Turbo S in the same category as the Panamera? Or does the added weight of the sedan adversely affect the "punchy" feel of a pedal mash?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW, what brought this on was that I was edged out (slightly) by a Dodge Viper last night on a nice stretch of road with no traffic. I really do NOT like being the SECOND fastest car on any given stretch of road.

I really want to drive in a reasonably affordable, luxurious car that will beat ANYTHING next time me (unless I happen to be driving near a Bugatti dealership during a Veyron test drive!)

Am I asking for too much? :p

·
Registered
2009 E63
557 Posts
Head over to the P dealer and try out a Panamera Turbo. Porsche dealers understand their customers and will let you rip on one. You need to find some twisty back roads to get a good feel for the chassis. I'm pretty impressed with them even though I'm a 911 model person myself. But the Panamera does offer the comfort of a larger car, and they've done a great job at focusing on the cockpit ergonomics. It's a very, very good GT car, like the 928 was a few decades ago. The Panamera is what the 928 would have been if it had kept evolving in the P-car line.

The 997.2 (in any variant) probably feels quicker than the Panamera primarily due to the weight difference and chassis. I'm not a straight line speed person, and I prefer handling combined with quickness. So I'm probably not the right person to give out advice on that end of it. The 997.2 is a great combo of quickness and agility. And the Panamera is certainly very fast and extremely agile for a sedan. The steering feels like you're actually driving a 997; very precise. It's a true GT car.

The PDK tranny is superior than any of MB's current trannies, the MCT and DCT included. It's lightning fast (and be sure to get the Sport Chrono with it.) It's arguably the best true dual clutch system available at the moment.

If a Viper or CTS-V beat me on a straight highway, it wouldn't bother me at all. I'd know I have a much better engineered car and with a rich motorsport history, and a way more luxurious quality oriented interior and exterior. Hey, most tuned ricer JDM cars can beat the fastest production cars, but who wants one. ;)

·
Registered
'06 E55, '91 560SEL
10 Posts
Tune yr 63, I'd say...and give the very next viper (or CTS-V for that matter) you see a very bloody nose...!
Brgds

·
Registered
2012 E63 Bi-Turbo w/ Renntech ECU Upgrade (and a 2011 ML350 BlueTec) 2005 E55 SOLD :(
220 Posts
I am a Porsche guy from way back and I absolutely love a 997 Twin Turbo. 0-60 in 2.9 seconds, no Viper or any other supercar including a ZR-1 beats it. In fact, the only cars that have waxed my butt have been 911's, GT-3's or GT-2's (turbo). Yes, the ZO6's I ran at Road Atlanta were amazing in the back straight, but they were all wondering why a four door was filling up their mirrors into the double digit corners.

The Panamera is a bastard at the Nordschlieffe and despite its looks, is faster than my little E55. I wouldn't buy one due to the price and the looks but I expect it will be yet another P-car to edge past me.

Let's face it, if it's German, it rocks in its own way. Since 1885 they have been writing the ledger. Jump in, jump on and Katy Bar the Door!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm a Porsche guy from way back too. The Panamera Turbo is about exciting as a Cayanne Turbo and the resale value with show it. If you're gong to buy a Porsche, get a real one with a split case motor (ie 993n/a or earlier, 997.1TT or earlier, or any of the GT2 or GT3.) I'd consider a 2011 Cayman S (even thought the engine is not a dry sump) as an alternative. If you need 4 doors, there is nothing wrong with any of the AMG63 C,E or CLS cars. But keep in mind the bigger the car the worse it handles. Look at a M3 or M5 also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts