Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dropped the wagon over Thanksgiving break and I have concluded that the H&Rs lowered the fronts more than the back with no change of spring pads. I reused 16 year old 130,000 mile rubber. Yeah, probably should not have done that.

The spring pads were as follows:
3 bump on the front and 2 bump on the back.

SLS is not yet adjusted, and as I have read, this keeps the system in a constant "fill" state since the controller thinks the lower car is over-loaded and is trying to keep it raised. So, I believe after an adjustment here, the rear will drop further and it will balance out with the front.

The most noticeable problem is in the front. The drivers side is almost 3/4" lower than the passengers after about 200 miles of settling in. Could my spring pad have issues? The front suspension was rebuilt last year wih Bilstein HDs, control arms, tie rods, center link....., so all is great there. I also rebuilt the entire rear suspension, including differential bushings and flex disks. The good news is that the rear in within 1/4" of level. Since I have access to a welding and fabrication shop, I had my rear LCA mounting hole welded up and relocated the carrier slot 5mm inboard. This is very similar to what RDMTECH does to reduce the negative camber.

So, before I get the alignment (not done yet) I would like to ask the experts on whether I should change the front to 2 new front spring pads (3 bumps) or put 1 new 3 bump on one side and 1 new 4 bump on the drivers side? I am planning to leave the rear alone since it is within 1/4 inch.

I would guess that unless there is a chance of catastrophic collapse on the part of the spring pad, I need different front pads.

As a side note, the only reason for rebuilding the rear end was that is drifted when coasting. This resulted in severely worn carrier bushings where the LCA attaches. Turns out the other links and bushings were in great shape for 130,000 miles. I guess now I will get at least 150k more miles out of her.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,445 Posts
Well if you have 3 bump front and 2 bump rear, get a change in pads.

They range from 1-5. Put 5 FR, 2 FL (take one from rear), then 4 + 3 rear on the side that is within the 1/4".
Each bump is 5mm, so it should definitely even everything out.

Also you can alter the leveling bar to the lowest setting like you said for the SLS.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well if you have 3 bump front and 2 bump rear, get a change in pads.

They range from 1-5. Put 5 FR, 2 FL (take one from rear), then 4 + 3 rear on the side that is within the 1/4".
Each bump is 5mm, so it should definitely even everything out.

Also you can alter the leveling bar to the lowest setting like you said for the SLS.
Since the drivers side is lower, put the 5 on drivers side (FL)? I thought they only went to 4 bumps on the pads. Do you have a part # for the 5 bump?

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Sorry you are right, 1-4. 8mm, 13mm, 18mm and 23mm.
Either way a move towards normalcy with an assortment of bump pads will definitely help your issues.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alignment Update

After getting the alignment at the dealer, I couldn't be happier with the rear camber after the modifications to the rear spring arm (LCA). I am slightly dissapointed that they could not get the front camber within spec. The front end is all just a year old, so I would have assumed that there was enough adjustment. My readings are as follows with the sportline specs listed for comparison:

front:
Camber - [spec -0°55' (+10',-20')] Actual LF -1°10' RF -1°15':surrender:
Toe - [Spec - 0°20' (±10')] Actual LF 0°11' RF 0°11:thumbsup:

Rear
Camber - (try to get as close to -1°) Actual LR -1°09' RR -1°21':bowdown:
Toe - [spec 0°25' (+10',-5')] Actual LR 0°07' RR 0°07'

I had seen numbers of the rear camber for lowered cars without modifying the LCA at around -2° to -3°. Glad I went the modified route.

Any comments to whether a camber kit is necessary for the front?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,719 Posts
Nice wagon, really hard to find a better car for a few thousand dollars!!

The brilliant silver is a great color, I have a Cabriolet in the same color w black interior, well, in the family as I gave it to dad in law. :)

·
Registered
85 300 TDT
2,260 Posts
Personally, I find all this lowering business quite sacrilegious. Then again, these days my wagon sits like that when I'm in it anyway....

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice wagon, really hard to find a better car for a few thousand dollars!!

The brilliant silver is a great color, I have a Cabriolet in the same color w black interior, well, in the family as I gave it to dad in law. :)
Thanks, it's actually Smoke Silver with Parchment leather. Shady in the photo, so I upped the exposure. I have actually had this car since 1999 and paid $20k+ for it then with a Starmark. I wouldn't sell it for a few thousand now. Too much life in it, and most all of the hard stuff has been done.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Personally, I find all this lowering business quite sacrilegious. Then again, these days my wagon sits like that when I'm in it anyway....
I kept it stock for so long, I wanted a change. I noticed that the BMWs and newer MBs have very little gap between tire and fender, and I liked the look. I still carry kids and mine and they really like the "cool" factor. I really have not noticed a decrease in ride comfort. I have maintained the 15" wheels with Michelin MXV4 to make sure I have all the cushion I need. I really can tell a difference when I need to jack up the car. Only a few pumps and we have contact.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
-0.55deg camber is perfectly fine. I'm running -1deg front and -2.1deg rear.

·
Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,719 Posts
What you have to love is...that is the perfect reason to leave YOURs as it is. :)

I thought the same thing til I lowered my first Cab, not the Sportline is my tall vehicle. :) Let the GF's 124 alone too.

·
Registered
94 E320 Wagon, 73 911T, 69 911S
90 Posts
Hi Olin,

this is Shaun from Pelican and Early S. Funny finding you here. I'm picking up a 94 E320 Wagon tomorrow. Has a variable idle so after doing some research here, think it's the engine harness.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi!

S

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
Nice to have the Porsche guys over here--welcome!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Shaun,

Good to hear from you. Maybe you can start including some of your Lil Travler stuff for the MB guys also. The w124 wagon is superior to the Porsches in reliability, but only half the fun. I wouldn't say that anyplace but here.

Zeitgeist,
I noticed you were also on the VW sites as well. I was eyeballin a vanagon for a TDI conversion.

Birds of a feather...

·
Registered
94 E320 Wagon, 73 911T, 69 911S
90 Posts
Well if that's the case with reliability, I'll do all right with car. MB will be added to my adult t-shirts, trying to figure out how to do all the "greats" in men's sizes later this spring.

Quite a menagerie here: MB, Porsche, VW, Ducati...

Can't wait to dig into the car.

S

Shaun,

Good to hear from you. Maybe you can start including some of your Lil Travler stuff for the MB guys also. The w124 wagon is superior to the Porsches in reliability, but only half the fun. I wouldn't say that anyplace but here.

Zeitgeist,
I noticed you were also on the VW sites as well. I was eyeballin a vanagon for a TDI conversion.

Birds of a feather...

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
Zeitgeist,

Birds of a feather...
Yep, I bought my Vanagon about 7 years ago with the full intent of installing a TDI, but it's been very reliable and I just haven't gotten to it yet. My 124s have taken up all of my passion in the meantime. I came to Mercedes by way of a very long list of VW aircooled/diesel cars and BMW bikes. My mom and her then husband had a beautiful black on black '76 911S when I was in high school. One of these days I'll buy a similar car.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
Yep, I bought my Vanagon about 7 years ago with the full intent of installing a TDI, but it's been very reliable and I just haven't gotten to it yet. My 124s have taken up all of my passion in the meantime. I came to Mercedes by way of a very long list of VW aircooled/diesel cars and BMW bikes. My mom and her then husband had a beautiful black on black '76 911S when I was in high school. One of these days I'll buy a similar car.
I got me one of these, too. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts