Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the fader dial, on the center wooden console between the seats, light up when you turn on the headlights?

Also, does the headlight switch light up if you also turn on the headlight? I installed a bulb inside it but it still does not light up even if I turn the fogs on. Something wrong?

·
Registered
1990 300SE, 1983 300D
1,201 Posts
I dont think my fader dial lights up. Just yesterday I was looking for it and couldent see it cause it was dark.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sportline W124
790 Posts
karugs - 3/1/2005 6:59 PM

Does the fader dial, on the center wooden console between the seats, light up when you turn on the headlights?

Also, does the headlight switch light up if you also turn on the headlight? I installed a bulb inside it but it still does not light up even if I turn the fogs on. Something wrong?

1. No, the hazard button only.
2. Pull it once again, it should lit orange. [:)]

·
Registered
2017 Police Interceptor Utility, 2017 Police Interceptor Sedan
7,747 Posts
Karugs,

That orange light on the headlight switch is the indicator for the rear fog lights which none of the US models had. If you notice when you pull the switch towards you it actually has two detents. The first is for the front fog lights only and the second (switch pulled out all the way) is for the rear fog lights that, again, US models never had.

My fader doesn't light up, I don't think it's meant to. Also, mine is just for show since the horrendous Becker radio is long gone.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everybody. It seems my switch knob is not supposed to light up. It just confuses me sometimes when I try to shut off the headlights, I can't find the switch, I have to feel for it. And when it's barely dark and I turn the headlights on for safety, sometimes I forget if the light is on (still can't see any difference). The dimness of my instrument cluster just adds to it, so I have to check the knob.

I looked at the fader dial again, the white line isn't transparent plastic. It's painted onto the dial itself. That's why it does not light up.

On a side note, I'm glad the switches are all the same size, so you can interchange them. Another thumbs up for the MB engineers!

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked the headlight switch. Mine has no second detent. But when I invert the switch (the white arrow points down), the detent is felt. Guess it's just worn out. But still, no light even with second detent.

I wonder if there's a way to install the light? Maybe a looped wire or something? Are the US spec headlight switches similar to Euro spec ones with the rear fog light toggle?

·
Registered
483 Posts
You have to run a wire from that switch all the way back to your taillight where the "4 brake light mod" is located.

I'm sure you can wire up the front fogs so when you pull the knob, it'll light up, but don't know how.

·
Registered
2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
2,181 Posts
This was a long time ago for me, but i think that all of the wiring for your rear fog light is already in the loom...you just have to get it and wire it up (extend wire, add socket, etc.)...manufactures do that because its cheaper to built one part with all the features, and then just plug in what you/they want....but maybe they knew that for the american car, and the european car and had two looms - one with and one with out...i dont know, mines european...

that being said - the logos in the switch do not light up...even on my new one (w203) they dont - i like that - its not over powering....

fader switch - no idea, never had one - but you have your answer there....

hope this is worth something, ha!
jake

1 - 8 of 8 Posts