Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the hood pad is ugly and I want to remove it. I am not sure if the hood pad is for noise reduction or heat absorption or both. Not sure how good the paint is under the hood because I would want to buff it and wax the paint.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Wouldn't recomend it.. You'll run a very real risk of cooking your paint from the back side. Perhaps your pad is old and tired thus looks rather shabby.. A fresh factory (w/ the proper waffle pattern) hood pad looks straight to me!

Jonathan

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,689 Posts
wash_me,
you can take the hoodpad off, and clean up ur paint but I STRONGLY URGE you to replace it after, you can get one from Autohaus AZ for $36. If you dont get one quick (depending on your weather-hot/cold) the heat from your engine will warm the paint and cause the paint on the opposite side to bubble. Luckily, I got mine done in time, All I had was a small blemish on the underside where (i think) my air filter heated up the hood and elimated some paint. My friend and I used some stuff called "PB Blaster" that with a scraper (drywall mud scraper or paint scraper will do) will take care of the old glue and gunk (the scraper will probably injure the paint a lil) I, then, used some 3M Hi-Strength 90 spray on the hood and the pad then put it up. (we had to take off about .5" each side of it)
Ultamently, put the pad in.
I have another thread on this, should be up here someone--if u want more details.

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
If the old hood pad is doing the job well, why replace it now? Seems like a waste of money to replace a perfectly good hood pad. Wait until it starts flaking and stuff, that's the time to replace it.
-Joe

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
just an FYi, but that's the aftermarket pad they sell...functional, but rather ugly.. Again, I recomend you go genuine, keeps the look of the car first rate.

Jonathan

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,689 Posts
i had to replace mine, huge chunks were dropping everytime i opened and closed the hood.. i did this a lot..diesel, winter = engine block heater.

·
Registered
Widebody SEC
774 Posts
i replaced mine after i had the hood painted. bought the oem from the dealership and used 3M adhesive.

i don't know what you guys have but the oem Mercedes one is just foam. great for noise reduction but i doubt it has any thermal properties at all.

it may be hard to see in the pic but it is a waffle pattern with flat areas for the battery, fuse box and coolant overflow. its cheap, light and easy to put on.

because it was cheap i didn't think twice about replacing it but keep in mine that the hood is aluminum, which disipates heat very well (that why they use aluminum for heat sinks on electronics). could it be that the Mercedes engineers chose aluminum to help draw the heat away from the engine bay? hmmmm... that's what i'm going to tell people from now on.[:D]

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want to put my car in some car show this year but the hood pad is a eye sore. My hood pad is in good shape but it looks dirty and gray. I wonder if I could paint or something.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts