Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it tru that the gear knob from a 81-89 will not fit with a 90-91 car and vice versa because somethign about the shaft is different.

carpartsdiscount.com sells them for those yrs, just wondering if there is infact a diference

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 S550 designo
396 Posts
I'm not sure of the answer, but I just ordered one for my 91 - I made sure to get the one specified for 90-91. They sell them for both sets of years, so whichever you have, you shouldn't have a problem getting what you want.

Now, speaking of changing these... I've read many posts found through the search about this, but have never found a definitive answer as to how to get the shift gate off to access the nut below. I know how to get the ashtray, coin tray and wood panel around the shifter off, but after that, I can't see a way to get the cover off the gate. Any ideas?

Thanks,

tw

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,135 Posts
Yes indeed, there is a difference.

I ordered a gear shifter from Car Parts Discounts and they sent me the wrong one (86-89).

I tried to put it in my 1990 SEC anyway and found that I could not engage first gear (2B), as it was impossible to move the gear shifter that far to the right.

Get the correct one. I'm still waiting for my replacement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts