Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since 2001 my wife and I talked about some day owning an SLK 32,and how cool it would be driving down RT32 with the top down. Rt32 is a smooth, twisty road in our area that just goes on forever. Average speed on the road, 50mph.

Yesterday was another dream fullfilled together. I asked my bride out to eat at a place in Willington Ct. called Chucks Steak House, its about an hour down the road from us. Nice ride, great tunes, open cockpit. It couldn't get better, well, that is unless the motor was behind us and the horn had an Italian note to it.

We pulled into a gas station with the top down, by chance we each had blue and black winter jackets on, she looked great with a sexy black scarf we looked as if we dressed to match the car's color. People looked at us as if to say, look at those lucky people. We kept the windows up, because after all it was still only 40 degrees, but the heater and heated seats kept things toasty warm. We had to drive through several towns and each reaction from people looked to be the same, wow, they're having fun. When we got to the restaurant the parking lot was full of people getting out of their cars heading in for diner. I have handycap parking because I can barely walk after my 9 surgeries so when it came time to put the roof up we had a crowd of folks standing around watching it do its thing. We got out of the car and man, the questions started flying. "How do ya like your car? That's a pretty color. How fast does that thing go?" It just drew so much attention it made me feel like I made the right choice in getting it.

The food was great, I let her drive home because she's only driven the car 2 times since I got it, and well, I had 2 long island ice teas. But, again, it was everything we'd hope it would be having a nice car like the Slk.

Our next fullfillment with the car will be a trip to the beach with the top down. I just can't wait. I can smell the Maine lobsters and prime rib cooking already, can't you?

John

·
Registered
sk 32 AMG
15 Posts
just got back from spending the weekend on the amalfi coast of italy. i played hard on the twisties from salerno to naples, but stopped to enjoy all the small towns on the coast. oh...my top was down the whole way. [8D]

·
Registered
325 Posts
glad to hear; i wish you many more...

getting my slk was my dream. i sat in it in the 1997 auto show at age 13 and said to my friend " this car will be mine"...7 years and many jobs later it was!

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
WTG!!

John Boy 330xi - 3/20/2005 2:17 PM

Our next fullfillment with the car will be a trip to the beach with the top down. I just can't wait. I can smell the Maine lobsters and prime rib cooking already, can't you?

John
just hope you're watching your diet man.. LOL.. you don't want another surgery or sumthin.. [8D] but hey, those disabled permit do work huh. [:D]

·
Registered
2002 SLK32 AMG, 2006 CLS55 AMG
109 Posts
Dreams do come true sometimes, and like yours, mine did too.

In 2002, I walked into a MB showroom and bought a little 240. I saw a slk32 AMG in the showroom, but the price tag made me cringe. The 240 proved too small, too underpowered, so I traded it in less than 6 months for a 2002 Maxima SE (this is a great sports sedan, my 2nd). But I still had the 32 in my mind.

This year, I found another 2002 SLK32 AMG, funny thing, it was black, the same color as the one in the showroom in 2002. The price was right, and I bought it. Man, this car was well worth the wait!

I still drive the Maxima, but when the weather turns warm (above 50), I usually turn to the 32. Some people think I'm crazy for owning it, but if you have the chance to pickup a 32, it will prove to be a great experience.

My 32 is the coolest car on the road to me. The funny thing is I really enjoy just cruising at low speeds, just chilling. People pass me, and it's a hoot just to see their expressions. The kids always want to race, never fails. My favorite times are when the Bimpers or Corvettes come by and I jump on the gas, they really don't expect it most of the time. But it is fun to know you have a hot car under you.

Yes, there are faster and more exotic cars on the road, I will admit. But, given the way this car is engineered and has creature comforts to boot, (and the price is less than a house), this car is hard to beat. I like convertibles anyway, my last one was a miata, but the 32 covers a lot of worlds for me (speed, hardtop, comfort, reliability, and low depreciation, not to mention the exhaust growl). I could sell my 32 for $8k more than I paid for it tomorrow.

I decided to get the 32 after seeing the commercial for Harley Davisonsons (where the old man said he once 'wanted a Harley', but bought siding for his house instead. Now I can look back & remember I owned my dream car, and that makes it worth more than what I paid for it. Maybe someday I will hand it down to my grand-daughter.
TJ

·
Registered
99 E300TD/02 SLK230K
152 Posts
I know exactly hat you mean when you say people are thinking, "Man that guy must be having fun!" I'll put the to down whenever it is sunny and 45 degrees. You have no idea how amazing it is to get back from school and while everyone is just waiting to get home, I'm just enjoying the drive.

John Mayer wrote a song about loving the moment you're in, not just hoping for the future. I can honestly say my most fun is had in that car. I hope all of our cars stay safe and are always that much fun to drive.

Take care,
Kishan

·
Registered
2002 SLK32 AMG, 2006 CLS55 AMG
109 Posts
Just think about how many people are bed ridden, and can't enjoy the fruits of their labors. I promised myself a long time ago not to put off doing something or owning something until after I retire. It is much more fun and enjoyable to do things while you are young enough to enjoy them ( and healthy enough to enjoy them). You cannot depend on having your health in the future, or even to live a long time.

Life is toooo short anyway. I enjoy it while I can. My plan is to die broke anyway. Every day I drive my 32, puts a smile to my face (and envy from people around me, driving their Hondas).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts