Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'80 230G SWB, '03 G500, '80 280GE LWB (sold), '98 Jeep Wrangler Sahara (sold)
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's an explanation...

Attachments

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Mike,

I completely understand your joy of playing in the mud - but unfortunately you are harming our community immensely. Leaving established trails - especially driving in wet areas gets the more militant guardians of Nature really angry.

And it angers me too. Because as a reaction to a thoughtless day of fun we might eventually lose all access rights to anything unpaved. So, be moere careful next time - at least don't publish the pictures.

4WD vehicles doing more harm than good is a world wide problem:
http://www.capetimes.co.za/index.php?fSectionId=332&fArticleId=2494744

Harald

·
Registered
03G500,93400sel
73 Posts
If you do post the pictures just say you own the property and your gona break ground to turn it in to a shopping center next week

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
I have been an advocate for responsible use of the back country for 20 years now - after all, my love of Nature made me buy my first 300GD to explore more of it - but in recent years the battle against the ignorant seems to be lost. My immediate backyard, the Rubicon Trail, has been under attack so severely that there is little hope that we will be able to keep the privilege of using it:
http://www.rubicon-trail.com/who.html

My colleague Bill Burke recently noticed as well how bad things really are:
http://www.bb4wa.com/letter.htm

I realize, that all this is mostly an emotional battle. In the big picture, one enthusiast's 4x4 in the mud (even if it is 10.000 4x4's in the mud) weighs nothing against the destruction caused by natural desasters, wildfires, new constructions, oil exploration, digging pipelines etc. etc.
But emotionally it tips the scale. The careless 4x4 owner is an easy target. As is blaming SUV's for global warming - they are simply placeholders. Angry environmentalists need easy targets. Otherwise they would have to take a hard look at how we live our lives in general. That would be very inconvenient.
So, lets not give them any more targets than necessary. If you leave the road, keep it to yourself.

Harald

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whoa easy guys! [B)],

This is PRIVATE property, as Illinois doesn't have any public OHV trails. I was scouting the land to find good portions to place a few trails... The wetlands area you speak of is actually drainage from a bulldozed area that's used for sod cutting. I don't think my tread are doing nearly the same amount of damage as the machines cutting layers of grass in 3x8ft sheets.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Great pics !! Doesnt it suck when the fun is over and you have to clean up ?? LOL [}:)]

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
That's ballsy to go into that type of muddy terrain with street tires...or at least, they seem street-biased tires. What tires are those??

Anyway, great pics...i bet you got a lot of weird stares at your truck!

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Mike,

I really like the first picture you posted of the G parked in the city. Very nice!

Slightly OT - Your rear tires seem to nicely tuck behind the rear fenders. IMHO they look really skinny and more road biased.

I'd upgrade them if I were you... [8D]

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The tires are regular 265/75R16 street tires on the stock 5.5" steel wheels, hence their ability to tuck so well into the fenders. Like I said, I didn't anticipate driving into any mud, and was caught off guard while scouting the property for decent places to place 4x4 trails and paintball spots.

I'm actually waiting on a set of 33" Pro Comp Xterrain tires to put on the 15x8 Gelaendekraft wheels I had Chuck make me. I originally wanted BFGoodrich MT's but they're on national backorder until July or so, and the XTerrains were bought at a very good price. Even with the 12.5 inch section width, I expect them to tuck nicely as well, as these wheels were probably the last ones Chuck made and have the most backspacing available as well as an updated look.

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
the ProComp tires are the worst tires you could ever own. I had clients with those tires on the Rubicon. They had spinning tires on identical vehicles with identical psi - while my vehicles did not miss a beat (GY MTR and BFG MT).
If BFG is on backorder - get GY MTR

Harald

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Harald,
I've heard from Jeep guys that the XTerrains weren't that bad, and that it's the Procomp MT's that are garbage. Their All Terrains are supposed to be excellent, having severe weather rating without the need for studs. How much tread was left on the tires? The only thing I'm really concerned with is that I believe the Procomp tires have a 2ply sidewall, however as the previous photos show, rocks are a rarity in these parts...

I would've went with the Goodyear MTR's except I bought 4 XTerrains with 15,000 miles on them for $200 including shipping. That's about the price of one MTR... I suppose I'll wait for these to wear down and maybe by then the BFGoodrich MT's will be available.

Plus I'm back in school in May so my truck will be out of commission until September, then used for a few weeks until I go back again.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
4x4abc - 4/27/2005 6:50 PM

the ProComp tires are the worst tires you could ever own. I had clients with those tires on the Rubicon. They had spinning tires on identical vehicles with identical psi - while my vehicles did not miss a beat (GY MTR and BFG MT).
If BFG is on backorder - get GY MTR

Harald
That's what I heard as well from a few Land Rover and Jeep owners I go wheeling with. I ended up getting the MTR's ... and let me tell you, these tires ROCK !! [:D]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts