Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, my intake finally came. she runs even greater, has REALLY LOUD Blowoffs now, and wails like a Jet Motor winding up. totally worth my money, accelerates even better now, and NO smoke, ever, just like before.

Attachments

·
Registered
1985 300CD
61 Posts
Looks great. Can't wait to install mine which I ordered with the propane injection setup. I presume yours also came from vancouver?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes, this came from moguland.com

Yes, as in vancouver canada

U were able to order propane injection already? i didnt know it was available yet. how much is it?

as far as changing it, u remove the nasty ugly thing, and install this in it's place. took like 10 minutes.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it comes with a washable re-usable filter. u clean it with a k and n kit, and then re-oil it and connect it back again

have u got any idea how exactly the kit is set up? ie, what kind of installation work needed, and where to put the bottle? does it just take a little canister type, or a full sized propane tank?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the air filter that comes with the kit is a k and n filter. u buy their filter cleaning kit at autozone. i will be changing to an AMSOIL Two-Stage filter though, to fully maximize my performance and filtration efficiency, but the one with the kit is a good filter. just not the best. anyhow, bedtime

·
Registered
1985 300CD
61 Posts
The kit includes everything except the bottle. Instructions are easy to follow ...same as your air set-up. Regulations up here allow for a 25lb tank to be mounted in the trunk as venting is not required. This is the size I plan on installing with a custom fabricated mount.
My winter drive is a dual fuel 3liter Ford and I use LPG almost exclusively. Only use gas to wet the injectors once in awhile. LPG is 25/L cents cheaper than gas.

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
It's like $200 from them if I recall correctly. Wadeperformanceproducts, who started selling these kits on ebay first sells his stage 2 kit for $150, which I have by the way. Most people here say that you can make the kit much cheaper yourself, which I have found to be true.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah, but wade's breather is a crappy plastic piece, from the photos that i have seen. who knows. all i know is that i love the stainless steel intake piping that comes with my kit, i'd imagine that this is the best kit u can buy, but i dont know that for a fact, its just an assumed opinion.

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
or make one for $50

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
whats with all the witty comments?? just because ur jealous of my automotive perfectionism doesnt mean we have to be uncivil about stuff.....i mean come on, for one, if someone also makes propane injections, custom manifolds, and intercooler kits, than u should be giving him BIG props, for being the only person in the world to do this for thses cars. and two, for ur average Mercedes owner, 200 bucks is POCKET CHANGE, so why sacrifice quality for a quarter of the price? seems funny to me.

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
AMSOIL300CDT - 4/27/2005 10:43 PM

whats with all the witty comments?? just because ur jealous of my automotive perfectionism

IM NOT JEALOUS AT ALL I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND.

doesnt mean we have to be uncivil about stuff.....i mean come on, for one, if someone also makes propane injections, custom manifolds, and intercooler kits, than u should be giving him BIG props,

I GIVE THIS GUY FULL CREDIT FOR MAKING ALL THAT STUFF FOR W123's. I THINK HES DOIN A GOOD THING BUT OVERCHARGING FOR THE INTAKE SETUP. OF COURSE HE HAS TO MAKE PROFIT BUT THAT IS WAYYY TO MUCH.

for being the only person in the world to do this for thses cars. and two, for ur average Mercedes owner, 200 bucks is POCKET CHANGE,

ISNT POCKET CHANGE FOR ME BUT IF IT WAS, I STILL WOULDNT SPEND THAT,

so why sacrifice quality for a quarter of the price?

QUALITY WOULDNT GO DOWN IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING, ITS QUITE EASY ACTUALLY, PIPING AND GROMETS AND HOSECLAMPS ARE PURCHASED AT YOUR LOCAL AUTO PARTS STORE, THE ONLY CHALLENGE WOULD BE THE OIL SEPARATOR...

seems funny to me.
I really didnt mean to make an attack on you but your advertising that you put this intake on and saying it works so well so i just dont want you to mislead people BEFORE you have proof that it works. Post some numbers. Make sure the product you have is a good item. My main concern about it is that it is getting hot air from the engine compartment. Could you explain this to me, how this is better than the cold air being forced in from the stock ram air set up? Or if you dissagree then explain your reasoning to me. Im honestly open to your ideas no joke! So write back, thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
130 Posts
I'm kind of with Marsh on this one.

If you want to say the kit is good in that it is made of quality materials and is easy to install great. But to just install it and say it's the greatest thing because you like how it makes your car sound is kind of strange. Have you even run a tank of gas through your car yet? Has it affected mileage? After say 6 months what does the inside of the separator look like? Is it getting full of crude and not letting the oil back to the engine and instead burning all the oil that goes into it causing your car to smoke? I'm not saying it will do that but until you have used it for a while how do you know?

I too would like to know if the hot air is better or worse than the cold air from the ram. I don't know why they wouldn't have incorporated the ram into the design. Like come in the ram through an inline filter than directly into the engine giving maximum air flow at high speeds. Is the hot air that much better? If it is why didn't Mercedes do it? Why have the extra hose going to the intake under the hood? It seems like the cold air would be better to cool down the gases going into the separator and helping it separate the blow by from the oil. It seems a system like this may cause your car to burn more oil than it may have before?

Did the product come with any literature explaining the design? I like the idea of updating the air filter/separator system (maybe just because my bracket holding my air filter housing on is broken [:D][:D]) I also like the idea of the propane injection. but I am just wondering what about this system makes it the best??

I am looking forward to hear continued progress and how other people feel about how well it works.

Mike

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
130 Posts
Also I'm curious how that works having the air filter exposed like that. It looks like you have some grime on your engine (maybe it's just the photo) but won't that all end up on the filter? I had a car with an exposed filter before but it was the regular round kind, like the stock filter, with a chrome cover on top but it sat right on top the engine between a big V-8 with a valve cover on each side protecting it from the elements. The placement of this one seems like a heavy rain will get it wet. Will that hurt it's performace at all? I'm not criticizing just curious.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts