Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
90 420SEL 240,000 miles strong
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have some sad news. My 500 coupe met the timing chain gods last week. Made a horrible noise, blew smoke out exhaust and locked up tighter than a drum. Anyone want the car? $200. Doesn't have wheels. I'm sad to say im out of the benz game for a while. Picked up a 95 impala SS for now. Ill be back though.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe - RIP
10,029 Posts
Sorry Rick...

·
Registered
90 420SEL 240,000 miles strong
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The car is not the best looking coupe. Paint fade on the hood, rear window is milky. Car had electrical fire back in the 90's, and a lot of electrical stuff acts strange. Black (not 040) and black interior

·
Registered
500 SEC AMG Mod'd
1,235 Posts
I know how you feel, I lost my 420 SEL that way. We should have "Timing Chain Awareness Month" and all get together to change timing chains!!!

·
Registered
86 560SEL
1,324 Posts
I remember reading Automobile magazine had an article on the 560SEL. It also recommended changing the timing chain every 100,000 miles. I changed mine at 90K services just so I can sleep better.

·
Registered
2003 ML350
181 Posts
At 143K miles I'm still spinning the cylinder and hoping for the best. I drove a Nissan Maxima (V6 Chain drive) for 240000 miles and gave it yo my daughter, its currently at 264000 and running strong. May be I should not worry too much about my Benz.

·
Registered
W126 500 SEL 9/85 W124 E320T Brabus
2,080 Posts
Most of the times its not the chain, that causes the probs, its the chain guides, that break away.
When this happens, the chain loses its tension and jumps over the the teeth of the chain wheels.
So the most important with this job are the chain guides, not the chain.

Roland

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Elantra, 2005 Chrysler Town & Country, 1999 GMC Yukon
1,669 Posts
And at this point our cars are old enough to do this job anyway. Mine only has 109Kmi, but the age (24yrs) demands a guide change at least.

·
Premium Member
1987 560 sec impala metalflake over cream
1,136 Posts
How long does it take for the plastic guides to turn brown? 10.000---40,000----100,000? the reason i ask is without service records we are in the dark about IF or WHEN the guides were done. Sure they are cheap, but there is a lot of work to changing them.( plus for some who take it to a dealer, its a lot of cash) mine for instance: the chain looks OK, so iv decided to leave it for now.but the tentioner im changing along with the guides. My point is that there are 3 pieces to this puzzle! tentioner, guides, & chain.in my case i am now starting to believe id only have to change the tentioner, ONLY. reason? well when i first looked, it looked as if the tentioner gasket was not of the same vintage as the rest if the car. now iv learned that the original should have a star? mine dosn't. ( therefor its a reasonable theory that it was changed), but to an aftermarket type, as we now learn they are not as good so it needs changing. but the guids were probably done at the same time,(say around 100,000 mile ). everything else should hold for another 50,000 not? & changing just the tentioner is a 10 min. job. now the chain: im told the original was a continues one? so if there is a quick change link then my theory is right & the chain is definitely OK. if there was a way to really tell how old the guides were then we could asses all three items individually to make a more informed diagnosis. but now we are just blanketing the problem & throwing parts , money, & time at all the cars we suspect. Bottom line? service records , service records , service records.

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC EURO AMG/LORINSER; 1988 560SEL, 1995 S500 Sonderschutz
3,680 Posts
how much does a chain cost and guides? where can i get them? link me to a DIY.

·
Registered
1990 560 SEC(gone but not forgoten) 1988 560SL 1998 E320 4matic wagon
258 Posts
Do a search on my threads I just did the job.parts were around
$600 from Jono

·
Registered
1990 560 SEC(gone but not forgoten) 1988 560SL 1998 E320 4matic wagon
258 Posts
I wish I had done more pics to post. I couldn't find anyone who documented the complete job. The chain is the easiest part of the deal. But it is what you do last so I guess it would be ok to leave it. But for a hundered bucks I don't think it makes sense as long as your in there and in the fix it frame of mind. Mabe its hard to measure the streach but when you pull the cam gears off and manipulate the old chain around to get the guides out you can tell how sloppy it is.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.