Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1987 U1000
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All !

Well a few week tour has turned into something more like 8 months... I'm happy to be almost back and able to do some work on the truck that's been piling up. Many apologies to anyone that I might have dropped in my quick leave, everything is still in place...

While I was out I did find a couple of interesting things ... opinions sought after !

First I happened across this "cargo bed cover" for an M105A2 trailer that looked like it might have a purpose, and it seems like it will fit quite well ! It's all fiberglass construction an weighs in at 425 lbs. Whattya think about the possibility of a camper box ???

The second took care of my quandary on what to do with the crane ! It seems a much better match !

Glad to be back, there's about a million posts to go through...

Cheers,
gb

Attachments

·
Registered
1980 U1000 Turbo...
1,522 Posts
That looks really neat! I suspect the answer as to whether it will work as a camper box or not are if you think it will fit you and you have enough space!

·
Registered
U1600AG + a LR 90
995 Posts
That box looks a good fit, just need to make a new flatbed with drop sides to act as a body/sub-frame to fit on the X-frame balls (so you can lift the box out and still have a body with function) or are you planning just a sub-frame perhaps with the facility via removable hydraulic or screw-jack legs so it can be used as a demountable camper/workshop? - after all its better than a tent! ;)

The new truck looks good, maybe they do a driven front axel and a high/low transfer box then get a set of 16R20 on to it :p either way I would get some wider tyres for the front axel so its less prone to sinking, as its always the front axel that sinks first on road trucks.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
U1600Ag
1,357 Posts
Hello All !

Well a few week tour has turned into something more like 8 months... I'm happy to be almost back and able to do some work on the truck that's been piling up. Many apologies to anyone that I might have dropped in my quick leave, everything is still in place...

While I was out I did find a couple of interesting things ... opinions sought after !

First I happened across this "cargo bed cover" for an M105A2 trailer that looked like it might have a purpose, and it seems like it will fit quite well ! It's all fiberglass construction an weighs in at 425 lbs. Whattya think about the possibility of a camper box ???

The second took care of my quandary on what to do with the crane ! It seems a much better match !

Glad to be back, there's about a million posts to go through...

Cheers,
gb

Nice Box !

The angled top does it for me.

·
Registered
1987 416 Doka
658 Posts
Looks like a nice match-up! I really like the "fast-back" look too :D
Should add MPH and MPG's, both!

The main consideration as pointed out above, will be the installation/removal method. I really like the spider frame platform, but what ever you choose, you certainly want to be able to take it off. If you have a flat bed you can mount and remove it from, then you have the best of both worlds - covered cargo carrier and oversized cargo hauler....

·
Registered
1976 U1500 AG
321 Posts
Box looks great, and the other rig as well. Should be nice additions. Quick question for you on the building. Where did you source it and was it easy to set up? Been thinking about putting one up for a while. What are the dimensions?
Welcome back.

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,857 Posts
Might be wise to add an Exo Skeleton to it but wow.... looks to have great promise.

·
Registered
1987 U1000
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:D Hey I was in your neck of the woods over the weekend, was supposed to do a gig in Belfast but ended up doing laps through Heathrow security instead ! I think you need more snowmogs as they showed tractors towing artics out of the snow !

How rude!

Welcome back!

·
Registered
1987 U1000
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That box looks a good fit, just need to make a new flatbed with drop sides to act as a body/sub-frame to fit on the X-frame balls (so you can lift the box out and still have a body with function) or are you planning just a sub-frame perhaps with the facility via removable hydraulic or screw-jack legs so it can be used as a demountable camper/workshop? - after all its better than a tent! ;)

The new truck looks good, maybe they do a driven front axel and a high/low transfer box then get a set of 16R20 on to it :p either way I would get some wider tyres for the front axel so its less prone to sinking, as its always the front axel that sinks first on road trucks.:thumbsup:
Hey !

The shell definitely needs a subframe as it was meant to sit in a trailer bed. The sides and top are plenty strong as they have foldable steps on the rear. I've got my old bed to make a pattern for the frame and I think I'll do fork tubes for removal, should actually make fitting out the box easier sitting at a reasonable height.

The big machine has got a driven front axle, I was thinking 365/85R20 XZL's for the front but they are pretty rare around here. I could change to super singles all around ???

The fifth wheel is on a fully oscillating mount but has a 3.5 inch kingpin so the upper plate needs to change. I'm toying with the idea of dropping the lift axle, pushing the fifthwheel and winch back and mounting the knuckleboom behind the cab ???

A lot of time with a tape measure is needed !

gb

·
Registered
1987 U1000
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Box looks great, and the other rig as well. Should be nice additions. Quick question for you on the building. Where did you source it and was it easy to set up? Been thinking about putting one up for a while. What are the dimensions?
Welcome back.
Hey Ben,

The building came from a fire department in NJ that they put up while building a new firehouse. It took three of us three days to take it down and stuff it into a semi. On the other end, two of us ( and a couple of supervisory dogs )put it back up in five. All you need is a telehandler and manlift. This one is 62x68x30H. It is wonderfully bright in there during the day with no additional lighting. I just came across another one about 5 miles from home at a highway dept... 72x140x30H, the girls will have there indoor riding arena now :surrender:

bigtop shelters generally have a listing of a few used ones available, some are just massive !
:thumbsup:
gb

·
Registered
1987 U1000
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Hi!!

Some type of frame is definitely in order for floor support. I'd only ever seen one of these before in a ton and a half trailer that went for ridiculous money. When I found this one just uncrated I figured it would be a good gamble and turned out to be a pretty good match for the truck !

gb
Might be wise to add an Exo Skeleton to it but wow.... looks to have great promise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts