Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1990 300TE
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My blower motor steadily slowed over the last year & now doesn't work at all. I replaced the brushes, checked it out with a direct 12V jumper to the battery, etc. reilnstalled it, and noticed it still didn't turn unless it had a full 12V applied. It gets pretty warm with the humidity & all down here, & I sure would love to have my A/C or even the vent blowing some air (fine at road speeds >30mph, nothing at stops). Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1989 300TE
39 Posts
Are you sure that the fan bearing/bushings are lubed and the fan turns freely? Mine did the slowdown and quit routine last month. I pulled it and found that it was hard to turn manually so I dripped PB blaster (kind of smelly but it did the trick) to loosen it up then I dripped synthetic oil on the bushings and let that soak in. Reinstalled and was slightly amazed at the increased airflow. Like I said, it was smelly due to the blaster, but that was remedied with a day of open windows and Richmond heat.

Good luck,

P

free advice is worth every penny

·
Registered
1990 300TE
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it actually turns fairly freely. I have 12 volts on the blue and red wires goinjg to the Voltage regulator that controls the fan speed. I believe the problem is there or somewhere else.

Paul

·
Registered
2001 E320, 'Lord Vader'
186 Posts
Hi Stickman,
I basically did the same thing as pjfoltz, with the same smelly results but I didn't get to look at the wiring going into the regulator but I had an idea, can you wire directly from the wires going into the regulator (in other words just unplug the regulator altogether) and plug the power and ground in? I wonder if the fan would work on lo and high then? Just an idea, then you'd know for sure if it was the regulator. Since you're getting cold air over 30mph I'll bet that's it, but you'd probably not want to run all those traffic lights like I kept wanting to do a month ago.

Best of luck and happy 4th!

Walter

·
Registered
1990 300TE
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went on ahead and bit the bullet & took a chance. I bought a new regulator and installed it. - That cured the problem all the way around. Lots easier to pull & plug. Thanks for the information, though. The blower is a continuously variable speed device when used in the "auto" mode. It will work as you outlined. Sorry to take so long to get back with you.

Paul.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts