Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560 SEC
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1987 560SEC OEM Becker Grand Prix 780. Radio seems to work fine. But the speakers are fussy.

Now before all the moderators get on here telling me to search, I did. I cant find any guidance.

The sound only comes out of the front left speaker ONLY when I play with the fader in increments to find the "just right" connections. Like trying to dial into a radio station with a really old radio. It has to be just right and I get sound. But only in the front left speaker.

2 weeks ago it was the back left speaker that I could dial into.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I took the radio out and looked at the back and all the connections seem to be solid.

Anyone?

Thanks!

·
Registered
too many
2,134 Posts
1987 560SEC OEM Becker Grand Prix 780. Radio seems to work fine. But the speakers are fussy.

Now before all the moderators get on here telling me to search, I did. I cant find any guidance.

The sound only comes out of the front left speaker ONLY when I play with the fader in increments to find the "just right" connections. Like trying to dial into a radio station with a really old radio. It has to be just right and I get sound. But only in the front left speaker.

2 weeks ago it was the back left speaker that I could dial into.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I took the radio out and looked at the back and all the connections seem to be solid.

Anyone?

Thanks!

Make sure the connection at the fader itself is "solid". Also, remove rear seats and check the amps and make sure they are working - you can swap side to side to test that and see if it changes anything (where the sound comes from).

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC EURO AMG/LORINSER; 1988 560SEL, 1995 S500 Sonderschutz
3,679 Posts
try pushing DOWN on the wheel. Works for me.

·
Registered
1966 200 Diesel; 1985 500 SEL (wrecked); 1991 420 SEL; 1979 280E (Home Market); 1993 190E 2.6
584 Posts
The fader wheel is somewhat problematic. The connections get buggered over time as does the actual potentiometer itself. Some people opt to remove or bypass it. Its also easilly replaceable if its an option you really like to have. The one in my 420 is 'so far so good' for me, the one in my 500 had been disabled by the PO, and I never bothered to reconnect it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts