Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...but with a happy ending. Paid the dealer to do another partial and the Blackstone analysis is glowing. Based on the sample I sent them I am good for another 40,000 miles at least. Bear in mind they used 236.12 the last time, but I bought 236.10 from AutohausAZ for this time.

I posted the complete results after my 59,000 mile partial. I don't have Adobe so I can't remove my personal info so this will have to do. So after sampling the oil 32,000 after the 1st partial (91,000 total miles) this is what they said:

MUSIKMANN: Things are looking better for your E320's transmission this time around, for two reasons: first your wear has dropped at aluminum and lead, and insolubles are also much lower this time, reading at just a trace, indicating that the parts are wearing more smoothly and the oil isn't overly oxidized. Second, our universal averages for this type of transmission (showing typical wear after about 34,000 miles) are pretty well in line with what we're seeing from this sample, so yours compares well with others we've seen. The next fill of ATF can probably go 40K miles at least.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So I understand the comment above applies to oil that is a mixture of about 6 liters run for 91k and 3 liters partly changed 32k ago? Where is the comment for the 59k test?
Kajtek1, that is correct; and please note that is 6l of 236.10 and 3l of 236.12. The comments, and all the values, for the 59k test are buried in my Email from MBUSA thread. But for your convenience, here are those comments.

Musikmann: We think this is the first fill of ATF from the high wear and insolubles we found. If this oil hasn't been changed (we weren't sure from the note) we think you should do so now. The high wear metals will make the oil abrasive and create more wear. Insolubles (oil oxidation due to heat, use, and blow-by) were high at 0.2% showing that this oil has been in use too long. The viscosity of the sample was normal for an ATF and we found no moisture in the sample. Universal averages for this type of transmission are based on a run of ~34,000 miles. Check back for another look. Underline is mine to make a point.

I called and spoke to one of the lab techs and I think he said to do another partial change after 30,000 miles. But maybe he said to send another sample at that time, I don't remember from nearly 4 years ago.

It's pretty evident that I jumped the gun with the addition of 4l (tech told me that). If I had only taken a sample I probably would not have had the 2nd partial change. But since I had them add the 236.10 this time, I feel better about that.

Were you not the one making the comment that perhaps the MB engineers were on to something after about the lifetime fill? But as you can see, Blackstone told me to change it back at 59,000 miles.

·
Registered
35,806 Posts
Well, would be nice to see the numbers? I assume you have both test results printed on the last report, so they can be compare side by side?
As we already know everything is subject to interpretation. When I did engine oil analyze for my diesel, the universal averages were based on 3500 intervals. Yet seeing my results after 14,000 the gave me green lights to extend the interval.
Bottom line, I did the tranny service on one W210 with 240,000 miles that run perfect. Our present drive is closing on 230k and I did the flush at 200k.
I am shopping around for cheap work wagon and am surprised with good number of them with well over 200k on odometer. Didn't get to the point of checking the records on them, but I am pretty confident that we can find good number of W210 with over 200k on odometer and factory seal on tranny tube.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only have the numbers on the last analysis as a PDF but I don't have thr full Adobe to edit out my personal info. Plus I lost the PDF who a very good friend edited. But I have paper copies and I'll gladly post some raw data if you tell me which ones you'd like to see.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I think you are probably correct about the first lines and as far as I can tell the format of the reports (oil and atf) are the same. Here are some for comparison:

59,000 91,000

Aluminum 20 18
Chromium 0 0
Iron 68 76
Copper 30 45
Lead 36 23
Tin 4 2

Please let me know if you want to see more. Notice that Iron and Copper have increased. Shouldn't they be decreasing like the others?

·
Registered
35,806 Posts
Everything should increase.
The metals contamination going down, especially in bigger rate than the percentage of replaced fluid puts the results in question.
I would call them and ask. What happened to the led you had in your transmission at the first exchange? Led doesn't evaporate easy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts