Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all again. I'm going to change my oil in a few days and wanted more clarification on the procedure for priming up the chain tensioner with the necessary oil pressure. I know to remove the EZL / Coil Ignition wire so the engine doesn't start. But I need to know how many times should I crank it before I re-attach the EZL/Coil wire and proceed to a final 'live' start. I just had my timing chain done about 8 wks ago and don't need any drama. I have attached a EZL box diagram especially for those who may have not done this or are not aware of this important procedure!!! See attached...

Attachments

·
Registered
90 420SEL
44 Posts
I think u should crank till u see oil pressure on your gauge.Won't be much,but some. Also I would fill the oil filter canister with clean oil before putting lid back on. Should save your starter some work.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
The theory is that with a long drain where the engine gets cold the tensioners can fall excessively out of position. Cranking the engine w/o a spark has less to do with oil pressure and more to do with taking up chain slack when the engine turns. Because it’s just the starter motor turning the engine, there’s little chance of the chain breaking or slipping. Two or three turns should be enough.

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the precise info that I needed. Thanks.[:D]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts