Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1998 W140 S-Class
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I know there are already threads regarding the hydraulic self-leveling accumulators, but I don't think this particular question has been answered yet.

Since I've had the car the rear ride has been very hard and bouncy, and I only recently learned about the use of the hydraulic struts over a traditional suspension. All signs point to the accumulators needing a swap.

However, I also learned about the hydraulic fluid reservoir under the hood that is used for the rear suspension, and upon checking it for the first time, realized that the level is so low that it doesn't even reach to the dipstick.

My question is, is there any possibility that topping off the hydraulic fluid might bring the accumulators back to life? I was going to go to the MB dealer to buy a quart but if it is useless then I won't bother.

·
Registered
1989 190e 2.6 1993 500sel (sold) 1995 S500 coupe (sold) 1994 S500 blk/blk
1,007 Posts
No, unless the fluid has leaked out in the lines, adding fluid to bring the accumulators back to life won't solve the problem of the hard and bouncy ride. You will need to replace the accumulators.

Driving with fatigued accumulators puts added stress on the hydraulic struts causing them or the lower bushings to wear out, so it is prudent to replace the accumulators.
You can, of course, add fluid to satisfy your curiosity, but it will be a waste of money.

Your Mercedes is 12 years old and if the accumulators have not been replaced, it's time.
The rubber balls containing the nitrogen deteriorate with age and the space remaining from deflation is filled with fluid, and that probably accounts for a low fluid level.

Just my 2 cents of opinion. Good luck!

·
Registered
1998 W140 S-Class
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@drcharlesatlas:

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know. It's been riding like that for a long time now, but I hope damage isn't to extensive if any. I guess we'll find out once these spheres are replaced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts