Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My wife’s 2001 E320 4matic has ABS, BAS, ESP lights on. Break lights are coming on, car drives fine. No maintenance was done on the car recently. I tried the steering wheel trick, didn’t fix it. I am assuming it's not break light switch, since lights are coming on...

Is it not safe to drive it?

I know this is a very common problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2000 E320 (Retired) / 2006 S350 / 1983 380SL - MBCA Member
66 Posts
A couple common causes are low voltage (due to a failing alternator or voltage regulator or bad battery) or dirty sensors. You can try to flush out the front wheels with a garden hose and see if that helps. If not, check your voltage.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Hi,
My wife’s 2001 E320 4matic has ABS, BAS, ESP lights on. Break lights are coming on, car drives fine. No maintenance was done on the car recently. I tried the steering wheel trick, didn’t fix it. I am assuming it's not break light switch, since lights are coming on...

Is it not safe to drive it?

I know this is a very common problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Actually, it most likely IS the brake light switch. Besides turning on the brake lights it passes current for the other safety features and that is what most often goes. Most of the time the brake lights work fine. So if I had your symptoms on my car, I'd be replacing the switch.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Thanks! Could someone point me to break light swith replacement instructions?
There are several DIY stickys at the top of this (W210) forum. You should find that pertains to the brake light switch up there. Just look for the one that includes brakes. Good Luck!

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts