Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,
i ve got a 82-300sd and i am getting this extremely annoying--somewhat loud--squeaking sound from my front left area. The mechanic said that it was the front strut or ball joint (one of those two) and it would be $300 to replace it. Is there anything i can do without replacing it? Also what does the hood pad on the engine hood do? mine is falling apart, should i replace it?

-Kris

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
JamesDean - 2/8/2005 10:35 AM

hey all,
i ve got a 82-300sd and i am getting this extremely annoying--somewhat loud--squeaking sound from my front left area. The mechanic said that it was the front strut or ball joint (one of those two) and it would be $300 to replace it. Is there anything i can do without replacing it? Also what does the hood pad on the engine hood do? mine is falling apart, should i replace it?

-Kris
Ok, I can't help you in the field of suspension components, but I can answer your hood pad question. The hood pad's function is to keep the hood cool and muffle noise. You don't really need a hood pad, but, it's bad to have one crumbling apart, and bits of the pad in the engine bay aren't good, they can potentially get caught up in the air intake and choke the engine. So, what I'd do in your situation is to take an old sheet, and cover the engine bay up while the hood is the 90 degree vertical position. Scrape the old bits of hood pad off until it's all gone. After that, you can drive without a hood pad, knowing old fragments won't drop into the engine bay, or, you can replace it if you feel like it.
-Joe

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Not a wise decision not to correct front suspension problems, especially ball joints or struts.

As to the hood pad, there are reasons why MB put them there. Excessive heat to the paint on the hood, and I imagine in a SD, excessive noise will be heard. New ones are inexpensive.

·
Mercedes
9,049 Posts
JamesDean - 2/8/2005 11:35 AM

hey all,

-Kris
In extreme cases, you can have the steering knuckle come lose. But, these are extreme cases. What you can expect is uneven tire wear and misalignment. How many miles on the car? If its high.. I'd bet on ball joint. You can see it when you peek your head underneath. If the rubber boot is cracked, then its either bad or going to be bad soon. There is no way around it except to replace them. I had mine done last year on the '88.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my mb has about 116,000 on it right now. I think i am going to just tear out that hood pad i have seen a few chunks of it laying in the compartment along with 2 rubber stopper-like things with holes in the center of them i think they are from the hood but i dont know. They dont seem relevant. I think, eventually, i will have that joint replaced--it gotta be done sooner or later.

Another problem i am having is with the transmission, im told its failing so, i dont think there is much to do with it, but, when i put it in park the car like rolls backwards before park is locked (ive seen another thread about this but i dont think its worth doing considering the tranmission is failing) also i can feel just about every shift point (1st to 2nd is the hardest) but according to what i've read the standard shiftpoint for 1st-to-2nd on my 82-300SD is around 4350 at full throttle. I tested this and it seems to be true so is my transmission really dying? or is that normal?

·
Registered
1989 420SEL
49 Posts
JamesDean - 2/8/2005 10:35 AM
Is there anything i can do without replacing it?
Actually there is. You can spray silicone on the hardened rubber that causes the squeaks and it greatly reduces the noise, but it is a temporary fix, and requires you to get under the car.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I really don't think you comprehend the seriousness of your mechanical problems. Fix it, or don't drive it, period.

·
Mercedes
9,049 Posts
JamesDean - 2/8/2005 3:10 PM

my mb has about 116,000 on it right now. I think i am going to just tear out that hood pad i have seen a few chunks of it laying in the compartment along with 2 rubber stopper-like things with holes in the center of them i think they are from the hood but i dont know. They dont seem relevant. I think, eventually, i will have that joint replaced--it gotta be done sooner or later.

Another problem i am having is with the transmission, im told its failing so, i dont think there is much to do with it, but, when i put it in park the car like rolls backwards before park is locked (ive seen another thread about this but i dont think its worth doing considering the tranmission is failing) also i can feel just about every shift point (1st to 2nd is the hardest) but according to what i've read the standard shiftpoint for 1st-to-2nd on my 82-300SD is around 4350 at full throttle. I tested this and it seems to be true so is my transmission really dying? or is that normal?
regarding transmission.. if you're rolling back a few inches after putting in park, thats normal. The park doesn't automatically engage.. instead it has to "catch" before it actually parks. Also, its normal to feel the shift points durning shifts. However, its not normal when the shiftings cause you to jolt back or something. I don't know about the 300SD, but many of the w126;s start off in 2nd gear.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i was only assuming that it was 1st to 2nd...which ever gear the transmission is in when im at a stop light to the next gear it shifts to has always been the hardest there is a jolt. Its been there for, as long as i can remember, the car wasnt mine at first my grandfather had it.

Which of my 2 problems is more in need of attention ? I mean which will need fixed the soonest? Also can anyone give me a rough estimate on the transmission? I've heard they are expensive [:(]

Thanks for all the help

-Kris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts