Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I go over bumps I have an annoying deep rattle that I can't find but seems to be coming from the rear deck. It happens with the headrests up or down and it happens with the sun screen up or down.

I think I have everything in the trunk secure so I am asking if any other 210 55's have this irritating problem?

·
Registered
03' SL500
180 Posts
I've got the same noise on my 01' 55 and assumed it was the headrests banging when down. Let me know what you find. Thanks.
Glenn B

·
Registered
2000 E55 / 2003 G500 / 2011 BMW M3
776 Posts
Might check in your spare tire well. The jack, and tool kit is in that area and they can come loose and rattle. You can wrap a towel or something around them to secure them from rattling against the body of the car.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys I did the tighten up and towel insulate everything in the jack and spare tire area.
The sound is like what Glenn mentioned, the headrests in the laid down mode bumping up and down but that is not the source.
I believe the two or three deep like rattles when going over rough road noise is in the rear deck...its like two thin pieces of particle board banging off one another?
Irritating

·
Registered
2002 E55
70 Posts
It is probably the sunroof/rail. It is a common annoyance for our car. I can hear mine over the bumps but not too bad. I chose not to do anything because I am afraid the dealer will make it worst.

John

·
Registered
03' SL500
180 Posts
I had my wife sit in the back seat while driving over a bumpy road. To my surprise and agreeing with a previous post, it appears to be the right sunroof guide rail or something along those lines. Not sure how intense a repair that would be.
Glenn

·
Registered
C43, E320, G500
67 Posts
A couple of things I've isolated as source of noise from the back:
1. The plastic cover for the 3rd brake light can become loose. It would rattle when playing the stereo.
2. The latches for the folding rear seats. They produce creeky noise when hitting bumps. Just unlatch the seats and spray WD40 (or better yet, apply some grease) on the latches.

·
Registered
2000 E55 / 2003 G500 / 2011 BMW M3
776 Posts
Now that you mention it - my sunroof makes that noise too, but only when open - not when closed. Wonder if there is a easy fix ?

·
Registered
03' SL500
180 Posts
For small fee, let’s say $50,000 I can give you a “free� 10-minute cure for your roof rattle. OK forget the money. After some close inspection and possible scenarios, I have both found the roof rattle mystery and cured it. At least in my vehicle. The problem is NOT the sunroof or shade. The problem is the metal support liner for the headliner. There is too much play between the headliner and it’s support frame. SOLUTION: With sunroof and shade in the closed position, place an object about 1½ inch wide, slightly rounded, (so as not to damage the headliner), such as a large screwdriver handle, about 5 inches from either the left or right edge of the sunroof between the rear of the sun shade and the headliner. If you slide your hand in you will feel the metal support grid. In this area you will feel a hole about 3 inches wide and 4 inches long. Obtain a small rag such as a bed sheet fabric 12� x 12� and fold it several times so the final piece is about 4 x 4. With the use of a flat semi-flexible metal tool such as a “slim jim� bent in a slight arch fold the fabric over the end of the tool. Feeling with one hand and pushing with the other, slide the rag under the metal frame but above the headliner. Push it under about 6-10 inches. Repeat the process on the other side. Presto! A quiet riding car again.

·
Registered
2001 E430 4-Matic
11 Posts
Did you have your rear springs checked? When I was test driving my E430 before buying it, I heard a "deep rattle" that the salesman could not identify - but the mechanic found that one of the springs (suspension) was broken or loose (can't remember). They changed it as part of the MB certification process & it never rattled again.

But, I do have a squeaking sound which occurs when I go over bumps and potholes - that's from the rear headrests. Need to find time to take it to the dealer & get my warranty's worth! [:D]

Good Luck!

·
Registered
E55 AMG
5 Posts
glennbaz is correct, that is what my rattle was. I bought some foam headliner material to put between the headliner and roof.

Good Luck!

Dan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts