Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
190DT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone relocated the cigaretter lighter? Or is there an after-market lighter that I could install elsewhere. I use it for my phone but think its a pain in the ass to have the ash tray open all the time. Looks like clutter. Anyone got any ideas or done this before?

·
Registered
1985 w201 Euro 2.3-16vlv / 1992 w201 2.6 Sportline Manual
6,726 Posts
everything i needed charging while i drive, got soldered to the connections at the rear of the cig lighter, so i never have to have my ash tray open. I also tapped a nice 3 outlet cig charger under the glovebox.

It can be done easily by simply tapping into the power source and relocating it. I would suggest purchasing a completely new unit if you chose to relocate, you can get them from any auto store that way your stock unit is not harmed.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
I installed a 12v receptacle flush into the glovebox liner. There's only one place it will fit, on the right side. It's not a simple job. I have it hardwired to the battery with a fuse so that I can charge things while hidden in the glovebox and the car off.

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
thats one of the things on my todo list when i get my 93 up and going. 3 outlet receptacle under the seat, and a ipod cable.

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
i like bg's solution. next time i goto the yard im gonna grab a few cig lighters i want to put one in the trunk of the volvo for power inverters and things..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah I ran into the same problem on my 85 190. I had my Garmin GPS, cell phone and my ipod to charge. It was a crazy mess of wires. My solution was to remove the ash tray and replace it with a panel that matched the dash. placed a 3 socket recepticle behind the panel and ran all of my wiring through it. I also placed a socket on the face which is not visable in the pic, which I use for the cell charger. The plan is to mount my ipod next to the gps when I find a suitable clip.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts