Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

381 - 395 of 395 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 S500 163,967 mi
107 Posts
I have an issue with TPMS module, I'm using the valve stem CAPS. Screen comes up only briefly, just about displays all four tire pressures then goes away.

Also does not save the two check box screens that come up on first load????

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
5,340 Posts
Not knowing anything about the Pioneer unit in @S55silverbullet's car, it might also be a gain setting in the Pioneer head unit. The Erisin Android units have an equalizer where you an set the output level to a certain degree. Maybe that Pioneer unit has something similar.

If that idea doesn't yield any fruit, then that amp that @4DGeorge pointed out looks like it would be a fine solution, plus you can sculpt the equalization curve for the car. @S55silverbullet, does your car still have the factory Bose speakers installed?

Turns out that in the project 2000 S500, a "class D" mono amplifier for the rear 10" woofer was helpful to round things out. The Android head unit will blast the sound at quite a high volume if you ask it to. Currently it's turned up to about 3/8 of max volume setting, and that's quite sufficient.
I know, replying to my own post, but I've been asked what unit I was using for the 10" woofer. It happens to be Alpine's MRV-M500 Class D amplifier. Actual RMS output is just north of 300W into 4 ohms. Someone did some tests with this amp, and it exceeded all output specifications. Not too often you see that anymore!

This model has been discontinued, unfortunately, but they've got a "new 'n' improved" version, the SA60M. If the MRV-M500's performance is any indication, I'd expect the SA60M to be a sweet performer as well.

·
Registered
'04 Sprinter 318 CDI, '06 E320 CDI
131 Posts
I will probably go a different route to Apple Car Play with an install of a Sony XAVAX5000.
Wondering if you went ahead with this or not, and how you found the sound quality with the NAV-TV F/O adapter, which is meant to be the best quality for sound I have heard from professional installers?

·
Registered
'04 Sprinter 318 CDI, '06 E320 CDI
131 Posts
OK, so you're doing this to the same exact model and year of car that I did it to in this thread. So, you'll use the same procedure that I used, just using the color codes for your specific head unit.

Which brand and model of Android head unit did you get?

You definitely want to get the 6-metre cable that goes from your head unit to the rear. Erisin calls theirs the "LMBENZ-6m" cable. Whatever brand yours is, they should have something similar. This cable will completely replace the fiber-optic connection to the amplifier, and indeed, you will be completely bypassing the factory amplifier itself

Is there a USA retailer of this LMBENZ-6m cable you can recommend by chance?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys, I’ve just purchase a Xtrons Unit with the PX5! I’ve asked xtrons if they will send my a harness for the Mercedes as I don’t have a can decoder harness, has anyone had success connecting direct to the can ports on the unit, it’s android 10 but I’m not 100% if it can decode the can on system! I have a pre facelift COMAND 2.5 (Bosch)
Also where do I need to go to get the old CD changer and items taken off the system so the car doesn’t look for them! Or what’s the best way to handle them if I can’t, keep them plugged in as they will never wake up again? :LOL:
Thanks and this is an amazing thread!

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Where do you need to go? Same place @Dave2302 and I did, the trunk/boot. I don't know about the RHD cars, but over here in the "colonies" (LHD), that stuff's on the left side of the boot. I completely removed the CD changer and factory power amplifier. Then, you you'll see those two orange fibre-optic cables; you want to hook them up back to back to complete the fibre loop. There are couplers that allow you to do this; MB sells them for just a few US dollars each, so it should be just a few pounds over there.

The Xtrons unit should hook up to the CAN bus the same way the Erisin unit (what Dave and I use) does. CANbus is CANbus. I just spliced it into the same wires that the factory COMAND unit used for that. Works great. If you get polarity backwards, the new head unit will not power on/off with the car (only the button will turn it on or off, old-school style). If that happens, just reverse the polarity on that pair of wires, and you should be all set.

BTW, this Erisin unit is doing great. It's been over a couple of years, and so far, no problems whatsoever. I've heard good things about Xtrons as well. They should send you that harness.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey! Yeah I’ve heard some people talk about coding the car to tell it not to search for those components including Dave himself or it can cause battery drain on the CAN but I assume most people just unplug them! I’ve had to order a Mercedes harness for the android as mine was car specific but that is getting ordered now so it includes a decoder then!

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
If by "decoder", you mean a fiber-to-copper device for the audio...I wouldn't recommend that. Will it "work"? Yes, it will, but you won't get the quality sound that you're expecting with such a device. The right way to do this is to run that harness from the head unit (the dashboard) to the trunk/boot. That means you're pulling the seats on one side and lifting the carpet. I ran my wiring harness in the black plastic trays where the rest of the car's wiring lives.

Once you do that, then you splice that harness directly into the speaker wires. They live on the connector that hooks up to the factory amplifier. There's a diagram, courtesy of Dave, in this thread for the proper color coding. That's what I used. This way you get not just your standard 2-channel (stereo) output, but also your front/rear equalization curves for optimum sound (sometimes people call this "all four channels"). Also, be sure to run at least one additional 6m-long pair of cables with RCA jacks from the head unit to the trunk/boot. This is so that you can install an aftermarket amplifier for the 10" woofer (I used an Alpine Class D unit). That will round out the sound properly.

Reactions: Dave2302

·
Registered
6 Posts
If by "decoder", you mean a fiber-to-copper device for the audio...I wouldn't recommend that. Will it "work"? Yes, it will, but you won't get the quality sound that you're expecting with such a device. The right way to do this is to run that harness from the head unit (the dashboard) to the trunk/boot. That means you're pulling the seats on one side and lifting the carpet. I ran my wiring harness in the black plastic trays where the rest of the car's wiring lives.

Once you do that, then you splice that harness directly into the speaker wires. They live on the connector that hooks up to the factory amplifier. There's a diagram, courtesy of Dave, in this thread for the proper color coding. That's what I used. This way you get not just your standard 2-channel (stereo) output, but also your front/rear equalization curves for optimum sound (sometimes people call this "all four channels"). Also, be sure to run at least one additional 6m-long pair of cables with RCA jacks from the head unit to the trunk/boot. This is so that you can install an aftermarket amplifier for the 10" woofer (I used an Alpine Class D unit). That will round out the sound properly.
It’s a CAN decoder mate! I’ve seen the thread don’t worry! But I have the more ideal system with no cable running!

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Ah, a CAN decoder. You might not need that, actually, since the Android head units--at least the Erisin ones--have CAN decoding built into them. You just wire it up and it does the rest. I haven't tried the Xtrons units, though, so it's possible that they're different. I suspect, though, that the Xtrons unit is like the Erisin. Worth a try first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ah, a CAN decoder. You might not need that, actually, since the Android head units--at least the Erisin ones--have CAN decoding built into them. You just wire it up and it does the rest. I haven't tried the Xtrons units, though, so it's possible that they're different. I suspect, though, that the Xtrons unit is like the Erisin. Worth a try first.
I believe they all need the box to at least decide the signals so it can be read by the internal decoder but I maybe wrong, my units harness didn’t come with any can wires as you only get them with OEM style ones, it does however support it and has the pins which is good! I shall hopefully post on it when it comes! (The cable so I can fit the rest)

·
W220 Moderator
7,862 Posts
ERISIN .......

Earlier Head units like my W220 one (circa 4 -5 years old) use separate decoder later units e.g my SLK one have decoder built in ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
ERISIN .......

Earlier Head units like my W220 one (circa 4 -5 years old) use separate decoder later units e.g my SLK one have decoder built in ;)
Interesting! So you have two wires from the harness straight to your pins? What model is you’re newer unit? All the ones I’ve seen come with the box! I do have a newer PX5 unit with android 10!

·
W220 Moderator
7,862 Posts
The SLK one was bought about 2 years ago when I first got it, I have no idea what exact model now ;)

Reactions: ajay1223p
381 - 395 of 395 Posts