Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

341 - 360 of 395 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
@Dave2302 that's alright. I'm currently out of town for work so I'm doing all of this from my hotel room lol. But...I too have the green green/white wires that @cowboyt has coming from the grey lever plug.
Just so I'm clear...I connect the 2 wires from the grey lever plug to the can wires of my 6m. Then splice in the decoder wires, as I would say a resistor? Of course I would do this right behind my new hu and keep the wires as short as possible.
So far I managed to hook up everything without the decoder just to be sure I got all that down right. Hu powers on and off properly and I have sound with all speakers. Fader and balance works as it should. Only thing I did different for the power connection is instead of hooking up the blue wake up wire to the mb blue wire, I had to connect the red wire from new hu to the constant hot. Now I have to connect my orange illumination wire to that in order for my buttons to illuminate.
Today I'm going to tear apart my interior and properly run the 6m along with my rcas, so I can install my kickers when I get home, and get everything tightened up. I'm not interested in back up cameras or any of the extras. Car has almost 190k and I'm taking it easy on her last days

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
5,340 Posts
Indeed, that's how I did it. I just spliced them into another CANbus point, right behind the head unit. Keeps the run nice 'n' short.

You don't need that CAN Decoder box. I don't use one, and everything works as expected. I think the same is true with Dave's car; no decoder box. The Erisin head units speak CAN directly, and I would assume the same is true about the Xtrons units.

Your car's got only 190k on it? These cars will easily go well over 300k with appropriate care. Yes, seriously. Actually, a backup camera is pretty inexpensive and a rather nice thing to have. I didn't believe in them either until I tried it out on the wife's 2000 S500.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@cowboyt only about 10k of those are from me. I don't think the previous owner took much care of it as I would. I'm doing my best to keep her running well. Still getting down a lot of how mb designed their vehicles. Much different than my usual Chevy lol. I've taken a liking to the 220s though. From the air struts to the secondary air injection. My only issue is how expensive some parts are. I can find some non OEM parts for cheap. But some things you can't go cheap. Its like buying generic toaster pastries, just not as good as pop tarts lol

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
All my cars came to me secondhand as well. You will find that the M113 V8 engine and the 722.6 transmission are *very* tough, and while nothing is absolutely bulletproof, they can withstand a surprising amount of neglect and still be OK.

Whatever you do, please, for the love of the FSM, don't put "Chinesium", as we call it, on your car. Your car deserves better. "Chinesium" = "made in China junk". Turns out OE parts are A.) typically not much more than Chinesium, and B.) really are less money in the long run. They really are.

·
Registered
'04 S430
270 Posts
I regret not pulling 2 extra wires for the amp on trigger and reverse light power (assuming there is a power feed for the reverse camera). But I did pull an RCA for each speaker out and for the reverse camera feed.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dave2302

·
W220 Moderator
7,862 Posts
If the unit is powering on without the CAN Decoder you have wired too many connections specifically the Acc Wire should not be connected .....................

I'm sick of typing "DO NOT CONNECT ALL THOSE OTHER WIRES" every time a member is wiring up an Android on any Car equipped with CAN they are not used, they are only used for install on a "lesser" Car !!

And no "Resistors" needed.

One more time ..................

Speakers .............. 8 wires

Batt + 1 wire

Earth 1 wire

Antenna Wake Up 1 wire

CAN Bus 2 wires

That is it !!

This is all in the Android sticky at the top of the Forum Page.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Happens, man. :)

Most of these Android head units have such a diagram. I believe that Seicane's units have them, and I know that Erisin's units also do.

Reactions: Dave2302

·
Registered
12 Posts
@cowboyt although pin 1 is grey and pin 11 is solid blue. Everything else matches up. still haven't been able to get the can hooked up so she's still hardwired. I found the can wires in the grey plug in pins 15 and 16 though. currently have my aftermarket sub and amp hooked up. remote wire has a switch to cut power when the cars off. Bit of a ghetto set up but it works for now until I get it right. she's my daily so I gotta have some kind of music lol

·
W220 Moderator
7,862 Posts
Hi,

It is usually the Blue in the Androids big Plug with Earth and B+, but if it doesn't have it their then connect the one (probably Blue and labelled 'Ant') in the "SWC etc" Harness, goes to Blue / Black on the Cars COMAND Plug, if you don't have Blue Black at COMAND Plug then you most likely don't need to connect it especially if your Radio Reception is good, if it's non existant or awful you'll have to get back to us, was Radio Reception OK on COMAND ? will be my first question at that point :wink

HTH,

·
Registered
W220 S320 CDI, 2000
32 Posts
Greeting @Dave2302 I did attempt to install my android unit, but it does not seem to be plug and play. The only cables that fit the harness supplied with my unit was the 5pin and an 8pin, (the 8 pin plug I think are the speakers and bass unit). But I could not get the unit to power on/wake up, the 5pin plug/harness was not wired the same as the socket in the W220 2,3,6,7,8 the harness 1,2,3,4,5.
The yellow and black cable, I am guessing the are live and ground/earth?? as the cables are thicker...
My electrical skills are not brilliant btw....

·
W220 Moderator
7,862 Posts
Hi,

Yes, you connect the Speakers and the Power / Earth plug as you have done in your pic .................

The reason it is not powering on sounds like you haven't connected the CAN Bus Decoders 2 CAN wires into the plug that came out of the COMAND, has a Grey coloured lever on it !!

The Correct adaptor along with many others that aren't needed was included with my ERISIN, I believe I saw it in one of your pic's too ;)

Find the one that fits grey lever plug on Car, it will have 2 pairs of wires, one pair of these should then connect to the 2 wires marked CAN on the CAN Decoder, you may have to try both pairs one at a time as there are so many variations across the Cars range ;)

HTH,

Reactions: martinzx

·
Registered
W220 S320 CDI, 2000
32 Posts
Hi,

Yes, you connect the Speakers and the Power / Earth plug as you have done in your pic .................

The reason it is not powering on sounds like you haven't connected the CAN Bus Decoders 2 CAN wires into the plug that came out of the COMAND, has a Grey coloured lever on it !!

The Correct adaptor along with many others that aren't needed was included with my ERISIN, I believe I saw it in one of your pic's too ;)

Find the one that fits grey lever plug on Car, it will have 2 pairs of wires, one pair of these should then connect to the 2 wires marked CAN on the CAN Decoder, you may have to try both pairs one at a time as there are so many variations across the Cars range ;)

HTH,
(y)
Yes Indeed, thanks so much !! All done, overall I am very happy for the money spent, it brings the dashboard up to date, and the bluetooth call quality is very good. The weakest point on mine is the plastic wood it has red tone and the fit is not brilliant at the edges by the air-con ashtray, and the quality is average, but I am being picky.

I ended up fitting the microphone wire through the A pillar and sticking it to the corner of the windscreen. Thanks so much @Dave2302 for all your help!!
Cheers Martin

·
Premium Member
2006 S500 (W220, Designo Espresso, AMG Sport, LWB)
421 Posts
Now that I finally have a working SDS (complements to @oliverp ) I, too, can join in the fun of going down this rabbit hole!
I plan on removing all of the stock audio related and no longer used components from the MOST ring and installing a full sound system:
9" Android HU, cables to the trunk, amplifier, sub box, and door speakers. Only the existing door speaker wires will be used. I haven't decided if I'll even bother with connecting into the MOST ring or not (for the steering wheel controls).
The biggest challenge will be cutting out the rear deck and mounting the sub box to it.
I'll be sure to photo document the entire process, including the SDS operations, as I go.
Wish me luck!

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Here's the high level overview of the plan:
Android 9" head unit - edited photo of what I think it'll look like when I'm done, assuming I can successfully chop up and reassemble the original wood trim:

Amp and sub box I've had for years that will be installed in it:

I plan to duplicate the mounting I had I'm my BMW:

As the MB S500's trunk is larger, there will be less of an impact on space than it was on the BMW 525i. I'll use an air nibbler to cut the sheet metal out for either the sub speakers themselves to poke through, or for the entire box to fit up within (depending on which will provide the better mounting result).

New speakers in the front doors (already installed):

Optionally, I may choose to go with a new amplifier from AudioControl as it has built-in digital signal processing that can be fully configured (via Bluetooth) from an Android/iOS device (the head unit itself in this case):

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
That should be really nice when you're done.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Today I ripped out the extraneous modules from the trunk (SIRIUS, Bluetooth, Voice command, Navigation, and CD changer) and re-spliced the fiber optics to only include the audio gateway and amplifier. Now the existing stereo is working again. (Yay...since I haven't ordered the Android head unit yet)
But at least the project has officially begun!

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
What are these components for? (See images)
Looking up the larger one (Motorola 1090-8yn9528a) says it's for Bluetooth or hands-free, with ports labeled Antenna and Portable on it. Someone labeled the cable to it "Handy."
The smaller module has Antenna, LCT, and Booster connections labeled on it.
I presumed the smaller module would be required for the stereo to work, however, after unplugging everything.... the COMAND stereo still works perfectly (AM, FM and WideBand).

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Looks like Tapatalk is corrupting my images. Or, at least they don't display within the app. However, looking at the site via the web browser has them showing up just fine. Do let me know what you're seeing... I Don't want to fill up the site with garbage looking posts.

341 - 360 of 395 Posts