Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Southern California, location of recent onslaught of rain....I drove my car (instead of the bicycle) to work last Wednesday because it was supposed to rain, and parked on the street. 2.5 hours later, after a downpour, I look out the window and the friggin street is entirely water, and my car is up to the doors in water. I waded out to it and found the driver's side to be dry,but the passenger side was full of rain water. My beautiful car started, and I drove it half a block to dry land, and scooped out all the free water, and at the end of the day, I drove it home. The next morning, the check engine light is on, so I drove it to the mechanic. He tells me that the secondary oxygen injector and O2 sensor need replacing, and the carpets have to come out to dry. Since this is getting up to $2K, I notified my insurance. Meanwhile we start drying it out. The insurance company has declared it a total loss, and are offering me more that it's worth, which is fine, but when I asked about buying it back, they said they would tell the DMV it is a "no repair", so that it can't go back on the road. I kept this car is excellent condition, and put a new transmission in it about a year ago, and new tires last year. I wasn't planning on selling it, and my need for a car is pretty minimal these days, so making payments on a new car is undesirable. I just didn't know they could total a car and then make it so it couldn't be driven. This car is still safer than most of the cars parked on my street. Should I keep pushing for a way to keep it, or should I let it go? The water was in the passenger side, and in the tire well, but my mechanic says the engine compartments are good. My brother could re-pack the bearings, etc. I am crying over losing this car; I love(d) this car. I don't know how to negotiate this, or if I even should try. Is "no repair" a legal phenomenon? Advice? Suggestions?

Lori

'98 C230 4 cyl/4dr Leather interior with abt 174 K miles.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Wow, that's too bad.
I have the same car also 1998 c230 250,000km
In Toronto, our insurances are exactly the same as in California.
A "no repair" car here cannot be insured 100%. They set a restriction incase
of a claim. Don't get mad at me for saying this, but here goes.........
Try selling the car for parts & find another one, maybe a C36 ?
I don't know, that really sucks....
Good luck with your decision....Hope everything works out in the end ?

·
Registered
139 Posts
So sorry to hear about this,
Cant the sensor and injector be picked up from a scrap yard ore something and in this way slowly get everything back into top notch.

Regards,
Martin.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So sorry to hear about this,
Cant the sensor and injector be picked up from a scrap yard ore something and in this way slowly get everything back into top notch.

Regards,
Martin.
It is a total knee-jerk reaction on the part of the insurance company....since hurricane Katrina, they have been pelted with water damage claims, and some of the cars made it back on the road, only to develop severe frame damage and electrical problems, and the frame damage means they fold up in accidents. The difference here is that this car wasn't soaked in salt water for days or weeks, and the interior was cleaned up and is air-drying as we speak. The sensor and injector are not that big a deal. And I plan to repack the bearings, etc. The insurance company believes it is a long-term liability and potentially cost them a lot of money in the future, and this is based on what happened in Louisiana. Senator Lott has proposed legistlation to brand water-damaged cars permanently so that they can't be repaired. ( I did some reading last night).

Lori

·
Banned
3,184 Posts
when the songwriters sing of California sunshine, they never seem to sing about the California rain.

take the buy out. it virtually impossible to haggle with insurance adjusters. they are trained to "settle" your case before you have time to think about your options.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that might be best. Even if I do manage to fix it and prove it road-worthy, they will cancel my insurance at the next renewal, because I repaired a "no repair".

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think that might be best. Even if I do manage to fix it and prove it road-worthy, they will cancel my insurance at the next renewal, because I repaired a "no repair".
Yes I see what you mean, it’s a no win situation with these guys.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Atleast you can drive it until the renewal?
Your insurance would be cancelled here right after the title has been made (no repair
or title). What about you don't go through insurance, fix the car back to original condition
& then have the car inspected by the insurance? This way, the insurance doesn't
get involved! I don't know, maybe that was a stupid idea.
Keep us posted, Lori

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, that's too bad.

A "no repair" car here cannot be insured 100%

I checked with the insurance commision and they said a "no repair" is a car that is PERMANENTLY unsafe and will not even have a salvage title. I believe this to be an outrageous claim in my cars case. It is still a good car, albeit I acknowledge it needs to have brake fluid changed and other things that a good mechanic can do. It isn't good for me, but somebody like my brother can have it all cleaned up in a short time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"No-repair"

That no-repair clause is a worrisome deal and people should know about it. As it stands with my car, I persuaded the insurance company to allow me to buy my car back with a salvage title only, and not the "no-repair" deal. I had planned before this all happened, to drive it until it died, and now I still can. It's still a really good old car and I am happy to have it back, except now instead of spending my time car-shopping, I have to jump through hoops to re-register it as a salvage vehicle. Unless the State has some trick up it's sleeve, I should be able to do that.

Lori

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
That no-repair clause is a worrisome deal and people should know about it. As it stands with my car, I persuaded the insurance company to allow me to buy my car back with a salvage title only, and not the "no-repair" deal. I had planned before this all happened, to drive it until it died, and now I still can. It's still a really good old car and I am happy to have it back, except now instead of spending my time car-shopping, I have to jump through hoops to re-register it as a salvage vehicle. Unless the State has some trick up it's sleeve, I should be able to do that.

Lori
Hey, that's alright !
Are you still getting some money back from your insurance ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts