Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
UPDATE: I had no issues when selecting from Standard time to Daylight Savings time today on the COMAND system. (Don't forget to reset your clocks today. Spring forward!)

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
When I tried to set my clock forward I could do it in the command system but the clock in the car didn't move so it still shows the "old"time my dates cant be changed either
I have a 2007 S 550 with 335000 Miles and that is the first time I have that problem

·
Registered
127 Posts
When I tried to set my clock forward I could do it in the command system but the clock in the car didn't move so it still shows the "old"time my dates cant be changed either
I have a 2007 S 550 with 335000 Miles and that is the first time I have that problem
I would suggest you disconnect your trunk battery, then reconnect the battery. Your analog clock will immediately reset to 12:00. Then follow my instructions in the previous post to reset both your COMAND and analog clocks.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Thank you ,this morning I went to the car and without starting it I was able to set the clock and the date was auto updated

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had this on my 2008 since we moved the clocks forward this spring.

I had tried resetting with the car on and off, with no luck.

I just went to the garage after the car sat all night, pressed the start button once without my foot on the brake pedal and quickly went into settings and pushed the time forward one hour. It worked!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Those should automatically been fixed now with the Week Number resetting to 0 the week before last. Fortunately you should not have to resort to any workarounds in the future!

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,837 Posts
Tiffany Twisted, do I read that correctly that the recent reset of the GPS satellite constellation Week Number to 0 should have fixed the multiple timing problems problems described in this thread?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Indeed so. While there are some inconsistencies that have been reported and the exact initial diagnosis was slightly incorrect but correct in theory, the COMAND determines it date and time based on a calculation involving the Week Number. The COMAND’s time and date application (the different functions of COMAND - Navi, Telephone, Audio decoder and MPEG Video decoder are all applications running on a UNIX-like OS called QNX, which is now owned by Blackberry incidentally - I am sure that name brings back memories for many of us!) experiences a crash or buffer overflow as when it internally converted the Week Number from 999 to 1000 from a binary string, the code crashed when dealing with the four-digit Week Number, probably right before the function or subroutine that performed the analog clock update. Most had had to take zero action. The analog clock that had displayed the incorrect time suddenly adjusted to the correct time, and when the date was checked, Sunday, April 7 2019 was displayed. As discussed before on this forum, the official Daimler/MBUSA fix was convoluted at best with no fix for the date, but in summary it involves ensuring your clock was correct in COMAND (it should be within one hour of the correct time based on your time zone. Ensure your DST setting is correct, and the dealer will perform a software reset of the Instrument Cluster which forces a synchronization of the COMAND and Analog Clock. Since many do not have the luxury to have Xentry or Star Diagnosis laying around, you will get the exact same effect it you access the driver side fuse box under the hood and locate a 7.5 amp fuse #25 and remove it, and in the same fuse box locate another 7.5 amp fuse #39 and remove it. Wait about 10 seconds or so and reinsert them in no particular order. It would be a good idea to have the ignition in the Accessories position while this is performed. As soon. As the fuses are installed, the analog clock will start spinning around and arrive on the correct time. Do not be alarmed if the date is not correct right away; it may take one or two days but it will adjust with no interaction. I hope this takes care of this problem for nine hundred and ninety nine more weeks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I will add that so far this has proven to be effective on the NTG3 systems only. The COMAND DX 2.0, W211/W219 COMANDs, owners as well as owners of other models have not reported this behavior. It would be a good reference if those with and MCS II in a W164, W204/X204 and any other models report if their systems have lost functionality after the Week Number rollover, see no difference, or if their COMAND that has been confused for 24 weeks repaired itself. I encourage owners of other vehicles to post their experiences for reference.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Greetings,
I have a W164 ML550 2010 with some recent issues:
1) Around the time of April 6th the clock on the top left of my COMAND display has disappeared.
2) Also the time to destination shows (clock) --:--
3) Nor can I set the time, the System->Set Time option is greyed out - see images.
I did reset the clock successfully for the DST change in March.
Thinking it might be resolved by upgrading to the latest GPS map disk I did that (Version 15 for 2017 is the latest and last for my vehicle) but no change to the time.
I have not tried the fuse fix as I don't know if the fuse numbers are correct, but am willing to give it a try.
I contacted my dealer, but they had not heard of this problem before now.

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Greetings,
I have a W164 ML550 2010 with some recent issues:
1) Around the time of April 6th the clock on the top left of my COMAND display has disappeared.
2) Also the time to destination shows (clock) --:--
3) Nor can I set the time, the System->Set Time option is greyed out - see images.
I did reset the clock successfully for the DST change in March.
Thinking it might be resolved by upgrading to the latest GPS map disk I did that (Version 15 for 2017 is the latest and last for my vehicle) but no change to the time.
I have not tried the fuse fix as I don't know if the fuse numbers are correct, but am willing to give it a try.
I contacted my dealer, but they had not heard of this problem before now.

Any help appreciated.
April 6th at 23:59:59z was when the GPS Week Number rollover occurred as a result of a limitation of the GPS Time/Date standard that was created decades ago. The Week Number is transmitted in a 10-bit binary number, and 1111111111 is the largest number that can be represented in 10-bits, which is equivalent of 1,023 in decimal notation. When the week changed the night of April 6th at 23:59:59z the effective binary Week Number could not advance, so by design it reverts to 0000000000, which in decimal notation "0". This has been anticipated for years and it was unknown the impact it would cause on various electronic devices that depended on the GPS signal for time reference. Some of the software engineers behind the coding of these units correctly implemented code to mitigate this and continue functioning properly, and some did not, as in the example above. It has affected GPS devices from many manufacturers, but Mercedes-Benz suppliers have unfortunately been plagued by GPS Date/Time issues more than what I consider acceptable.

The GPS processor internally receives the binary representation and in most cases converts it to decimal or hex as it use referenced by other parts of the software in the COMAND, such as displaying a clock. Many Mercedes-Benz vehicles were affected when the decimal Week Number incremented from a three digit number to a four digit number, or 999 to 1000. The code did not handle this, and resulted and many vehicles produced before 2009 to display the incorrect date. Currently and very unfortunately, Mercedes-Benz has not released a fix for this that I am aware of, and haven't even acknowledged it very much. In their defense, it is up to their suppliers to supply an update that can be flashed onto the affected units to mitigate the bug, such as Harmon-Becker, Alpine, Siemens, etc. Daimler AG would need to coordinate with MBUSA to orchestrate a rollout of the software fix as well. Theoretically, it could involve the requirement of a connection to the dealer's Xentry Diagnostics system to perform the update, or it could be distributed on optical media to the dealerships and only be a disc that one would insert and the new code would be applied to the unit, or more event more conveniently, in addition to dealership workshops offering the service, make it available on Daimler AG's and MBUSA's web site as an ISO you could download with instructions and write the image to a CD-R to perform the update yourself.

Telematics updates for many vehicles such as W211s are made available as an ISO download in the EU, and it is not behind a password-protected site.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that it is a disappointment the way Daimler AG has (not) addressed this, particularly the ones that began last year in November. In the S-Class which is what the OP was referring to, the analog (electronic) clock in the vehicle became non-adjustable because it synchronized with the COMAND's time, and although the COMAND had the correct time, the software effectively stopped working correctly in the COMAND when computing the Date was attempted. This must be a function in the code that is executed before the function to sync the analog clock time with the COMAND, so S-Class owners have been stuck looking at a clock that reads a random time that has no (obvious) way to correct it. There are workarounds for this, however, as described in this thread, and the Week Number rollover actually fixed some that suffered from the incorrect handling of the 4-digit week number when it was reverted to "0" as the date computation completed correctly and therefore the analog clock was also adjusting correctly and synchronizing with the COMAND.

I apologize for the techno-babble, but for the ones that read this thread in the future I had hoped to provide an explanation as to why this had occurred.

However, to address your original question, a Map Update DVD will not address this issue (although a newly released one theoretically could) there has been no such product released by MBUSA or Daimler for ANY of the vehicles affected so far, and there are several just from the November 2018 bug. The fuses would not apply to your vehicle, and what that does on the S-Class is since the clock and Instrument Cluster are connected, when the Instrument Cluster "reboots" so does the analog clock, and it forces a synchronization with the COMAND successfully.

Worth noting, all COMAND units with Navigation will always reference the GPS signal to receive and set the time. There is no way to disable this, which I feel is an oversight by the developers. If you prevent the GPS signal from reaching the COMAND, it will detect there is an issue preventing it from receiving the Date/Time, and unlock the ability to set the time manually on the device. As soon as it locks on to four GPS satellites, it locks out the ability to manually adjust the time except in 30 minutes increments for DST reasons, and it stays locked out unless the vehicle is turned off for 2 weeks or thereabouts (in which it needs to lock on to the GPS satellites again to ensure accuracy) however it if is not turned off but for example a couple of days, it has an internal clock that keeps the time and does not have to go through the locking on of GPS satellites, ensuring legitimate data is received and the satellites are providing the same Date/Time relative to each other. One can think if it as shutting down a computer completely and having to wait for it to start up (car not started for 2+ weeks), verses putting the computer to sleep and resuming it (car driven regularly even if stored inside away from GPS signal).

I see you have a 2008 W221 listed in your profiles as well as some W163s. Have you checked the to see if the date and time are reading correct?

·
Registered
95 Posts
About 300k more you will have caught this S600!

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks TT
I'll go to see to my service advisor, but he had not heard of this when I called. He did offer for the shop foreman to take a look next week and take your notes, at least they will see the issue in person.
As for other vehicles, they are just happy memories and have been recycled, so not opportunity to check, sorry.
I may be able to test the car not started for 2+ weeks and manual time reset later this year after traveling. Or maybe the SA my give me a loaner and hide my vehicle in the shop :)
Will the time not reset using bad code from GPS time when it see the light of day?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks TT
I'll go to see to my service advisor, but he had not heard of this when I called. He did offer for the shop foreman to take a look next week and take your notes, at least they will see the issue in person.
As for other vehicles, they are just happy memories and have been recycled, so not opportunity to check, sorry.
I may be able to test the car not started for 2+ weeks and manual time reset later this year after traveling. Or maybe the SA my give me a loaner and hide my vehicle in the shop :)
Will the time not reset using bad code from GPS time when it see the light of day?
Fortunately on most vehicles, the time is generally displayed correctly, and the date is somewhat obscured about 3 menus deep or so just to see it. It is likely that most people are not very observant to notice this since it has not been going on for very long, and it is affecting W164 somewhat differently than the other vehicles. From your description and photos, it appears that it is aware that the calculation it is performing is outputs an implausible value, therefore the date/time code is exiting with an error (most likely) or refuses to display it due to lack of verification of it being correct. I would request your SA him/herself or the tech check "Xentry TIPS" to see if there are any bulletins released on the W164, but I would not have high expectations. So far they have swept this under the rug like it never happened, and have not released any fixes for any of the affected vehicles. Since I didn't develop the system, I can't say for sure if it is a simple fix or if it requires something significant, however they are designed to be updated via removable media that can replace nearly all of the running code on them, so I can't help but think they can revise the code and update the software and fix it.

I don't know if it is a cost issue, a technical issue, or exactly what the reasoning is behind the silence, but they should know in general that Mercedes-Benz customers are repeat customers, and at the same time like to keep their vehicles for a longer than buyers of some other brands, so this is likely to cost them more in sales than what it would cost to fix these systems as it has created a lot if disappointed and frustrated owners. The COMAND did not come with a disclaimer it had an "expiration date" indicating it would stop functioning properly after a set date and I think the customer should not have to pick up the tab for this repair, but I do know probably the majority would even be willing to (assuming it was not outrageous) to get their vehicle functioning properly again.

You can adjust the time manually on the COMAND as long as it does not have a GPS signal at all and has been that way for an extended period, or if you reset the COMAND with no GPS signal. It will be aware that it has not received the date/time signal from the minimum number of 4 GPS satellites and therefore it unlocks the option to set the time. Most COMANDs have a small hint displayed it is time syncing from GPS by displaying a graphic that may resemble radio waves when you are in the time screen, or a satellite dish. You will notice on these that this graphic is not present when it is not receiving a signal and has been reset or off for an extended period.

The dealership should not have to place the vehicle inside to simulate this - they can connect their Xentry Diagnostics machine to it and perform an Actuation on the COMAND unit that resets it. When it comes back up and is in the workshop, it probably (depending on the building construction) will not get a signal from 4 sats.

And you are correct with your statement that as soon as you return the vehicle outside and it receives GPS, the issue will reappear.

A compromise to be able to manually adjust it, and it definitely is a compromise, is to disable the Navigation functionality in the COMAND and this would need to be done using the dealer Xentry machine. If the word "Navi" did not disappear from the top menu bar, you could select it and it would say it was not available. This effectively disables it via software and although it does theoretically receive the GPS signals it ignores them. EDIT: This COMAND would require the dealer to call the Xentry Helpdesk to assist in disabling the Navigation function so it would be a much more involved process. I don't think it is worth it anyway, and this makes it more so. The screenshot attached shows it is possible, but that screen is not available dealer systems.

Here is come code from the GPS processor in a COMAND (not the one in your W164, but a different Mercedes-Benz, that is responsible for setting the time and (supposedly) ensuring its accuracy. Even if you are not a tech person, you are likely to be able to get a basic idea of what is going on here:

GPS time read from flash,
reset to NO_TIME
ephemeris_update : ERROR WEEK ADJUST FAILED
set to FLASH_TIME
GPS time set to NO_TIME
GPS time read from RTC,
set to RTC_TIME
set to NO_TIME
set to USER_TIME
gps_time_set() : ERROR TIME INVALID
GPS Time updated
Asat_almanac_update : Adjusting current time estimate week--
sat_almanac_update : Adjusting current time estimate week++
sat_almanac_update : Current time Ok
u"Asat_almanac_update : ERROR ALM TIME INVALID
sat_almanac_update : Adjusting almanac time estimate week++
@sat_almanac_update : ERROR ALM TIME DIFF INVALID
sat_almanac_update : Almanac time epoch %d %d diff %d
sat_almanac_update : Almanac time ok epoch %d %d
sat_almanac_update : ERROR SAT EXTRAPOLATION
Ephemeris updated (new iod): sat %d
sat_ephemeris_update : ERROR SAT EXTRAPOLATION
ephemeris_reset : ERROR SAT ID INVALID
ephemeris_reset : ERROR EPHEMERIS NOT INITIALIZED
ephemeris_week_adjust : ERROR EPHEMERIS NOT INITIALIZED
u"Aephemeris_week_adjust: ERROR EPOCH TIME NOT VALID
AEphemeris week valid
ephemeris_week_adjust : ERROR CURRENT TIME NOT VALID
Saturday night ephemeris correction: incrementing week no.
ephemeris_week_adjust : epoch diff not valid
ephemeris_get_iode : ERROR SAT ID INVALID
ephemeris_get_iode : ERROR EPHEMERIS NOT INITIALIZED
UNHEALTHY SATELLITE!!!
ephemeris_update : ERROR SAT ID INVALID
ephemeris_update : ERROR EPHEMERIS NOT INITIALIZED
ephemeris_update : ERROR SUBFRAME ID INVALID
New ephemeris data
ephemeris_update : ERROR EPHEMERIS VALIDITY FAILED

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
Just to let you know, about one month after I had completed the V15 DVD upgrade, the system clock came back, I can set the time and the GPS can resume the ETA functions.
It's a mystery to me, my MB SA had no clue nor a local independent shop, but I shall stop worrying about it as long as the clock time stays.

Thanks for your help TT!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
About this Discussion
37 Replies
13 Participants
NewsHound
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing