Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Mercedes S550 2008 Mercedes x164, 2007 Mercedes w164, 2001 Mercedes W210 E55 AMG
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed today that my analog clock was not displaying the correct time. I watched a youtube video that showed how to set the time through the command unit. Well to my surprise the command has the correct time but the analog will synchronize with the command. So basically the command is set for 6:30 A.M. and the analog clock says 7:00 P.M.... When i adjust the time on the command up/down the hands on the analog clock do not move. Anyone have this happen to them. If so anyone know how to fix it? This is really annoying.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,206 Posts
It reads like a bad clock.

You could try resetting the COMAND and the clock by removing and replacing fuses.

Strange...lately we have had two owners report that their COMAND units are not showing the correct time (hour/minute may be correct, but year was 1976) - and they cannot set their clocks properly either.

·
Registered
2007 Mercedes S550 2008 Mercedes x164, 2007 Mercedes w164, 2001 Mercedes W210 E55 AMG
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for your be blurry picture but you can’t see that on the command it Sagan 5:41 Andy one the analog it says 6:40. What fuses would I being removing and where are they located? Also bad clock you said. That’s means I got to replace just the clock or the command unit as well?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,206 Posts
Something is screwed up in your prior post..."on the command it Sagan 5:41 Andy one the analog it says 6:40." I take it that was meant to say "on the COMAND it says 5:41 and on the analog it says 6:40." Also, there was no picture - but that's OK. It is not needed if we understand the description properly.

You might also consult the thread at https://www.benzworld.org/forums/au...081-weirdness-2005-w211-comand-date-time.html - while it isn't much, it's about all we can do short of telling you to have diagnostics run. Checking satellite reception and pulling fuses to reset the system is about all there is. What differentiates your problem from those in the link is the way your clock is not responding; that suggests a bad clock.

You posted in the W221 forum, but did not tell us the year of your car (or even confirm that the question is related to the S-Class). The Navigation section of your owners manual or COMAND manual (they are combined for some years, separate for others) will tell you how to determine the number of satellites you are receiving. At least three are required for reliable information. The attachment below is from my W221 manual.

Before replacing anything, you need to be certain of what is wrong. If resetting the system by pulling and reinstalling fuses, and checking satellite reception (too few satellites would indicate a possible antenna problem) doesn't solve the problem, you risk throwing parts at the problem and not solving it, without diagnosis. To determine which fuses, consult your fuse diagram. I do not have one for your car, and the one in our DIY & FAQs is for a 2010.

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Skylaw, sorry for not supplying my car information as it may have helped you answer my questions better. I have. 2007 Mercedes S550 .

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where would that button be?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,206 Posts
There is no such "button" on the '07 W221. Setting the time (and the date) are done via the COMAND system Vehicle>System Settings>Time menu, and the instructions begin on page 213 of the 2007 Owner's Manual (YouTube should not have been necessary). clb0099's problem seems to be that his analog clock is not accepting the settings made in COMAND. Because the COMAND settings (date and time) are correct, the question is whether it is a communication problem between COMAND and the clock, or a bad clock itself. That was addressed in post 4, to the extent that I am able.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
606 Posts
FWIW, and not sure if it is related, but the one of the vehicles I had the issue with the date not saving in the COMAND (it reverted as soon as you exited the Date menu displaying the calendar to 2003 every time). The IWC clock in this W221.177 was also not adjusting the time as expected with the clock - expected meaning adjust the time on the COMAND as soon as the Time menu is exited after setting Time Zone, the analog clock begins moving to the set time on the COMMAND. This one did not do that, and was generally within 60 minutes off. Not sure if it is related to the 2003 date (honestly not sure how it could be right off) but I do find it odd if the OP's data is stuck in 2003 as well, that would be two defects in the software from what I am gathering that is tripped after the GPS time exceeded week 1024. This unit was an NTG 3.0 with the most recent Telematics update on all MOST-ring devices.

There is no such "button" on the '07 W221. Setting the time (and the date) are done via the COMAND system Vehicle>System Settings>Time menu, and the instructions begin on page 213 of the 2007 Owner's Manual (YouTube should not have been necessary). clb0099's problem seems to be that his analog clock is not accepting the settings made in COMAND. Because the COMAND settings (date and time) are correct, the question is whether it is a communication problem between COMAND and the clock, or a bad clock itself. That was addressed in post 4, to the extent that I am able.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys. I have a very similar problem. I have a 07 CL500 W216. I noticed recently that the time on the analog clock is not correct. (it has not been correct since DST change) The clock is working but is not syncing with the Command clock. If I disconnect the battery and reconnect the analogue clock spins back to 12.00 and continues working from there. The command clock picks up the correct time from the sat nav system. I also noticed that the date is not correct. Every time I go into the date to try to change it is in year 2003. I can change the date to todays date and exit but it is not saving the change. Any ideas.?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Konigstiger,
Thank you!
The work around has solved the Problem of syncing the analog clock.
After leaving the car overnight, turn on the ignition and quickly go to command..vehicle... Vehicle settings... And adjust the time. The analog clock will go to the correct time. This must be done before the sat nav collects the correct time from the satellite.

The date will change also but will revert to the March 2017 after the sat nav connects.
Looks like a sat nav software issue.
I wonder if an updated version of the sat nav will solve the problem.
Thanks again.V.

·
Premium Member
2007 S550
9 Posts
Analog clock on '07 S550 corrected

So, I had the clock replaced by my tech before reading the forums. The replacement analog clock didn't update and the date stayed at 2003.

After reading the forums, I pushed in my auto start without putting my foot on the brake.

I did wait almost 24 hours for the moon to pass the earth and the space Station to finish it's circumnavigational elliptical orbit around the southern hemisphere. I then reset the clock and it happily whirred to the correct time. I reset the date, but it now is stuck on 05/23/2019.

I did watch the Twilight Zone marathon this week. Not sure if that's the reason why my car date is now in the future. My car promised to never date anything else, even with an out of date nav.

I'm OK with that as long as the analog clock reads correctly.

That's because you are now in the MB S550 Twilight Zone.

·
Registered
2007 S550
2 Posts
Hi, I have a 2007 S550 with the same issue, command clock is correct but analog clock is 1 1/2 hours behind, date is reading June 28, 2013. When I try to adjust the time the minutes on the command system jump in 30 minute increments and the clock does not move. The date will adjust but goes back to 2013 upon exit. I disconnected the batteries to try to reset the system but it didn't work

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
606 Posts
correction on the date it's 2003
We are all awaiting an official response from Daimler. COMAND units from 2000-2009 have all been affected. Although there have been no official commitment of a fix, we hope at least some of the newer models are addressed and a solution can be provided via a software update provided by the dealer. It is anyone’s guess the cost, if any, that may be involved.

·
Registered
2007 S550 4matic
10 Posts
Kind of late to this thread but my clock is doing having similar issues except for no matter what time it is when I start the car the clock will spin forward until it hits 12 and then stop and start time from there. The COMAND clock is correct. Think that is related to what everyone else is running into or something altogether different? Sorry, my car is a 07 S550

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,206 Posts
browntim, your situation reads more like a defective analog clock. The preceding posts reflect that the COMAND system's date and time were wrong; that is what caused the analog clock error. With your COMAND's time being correct, it is properly translating the GPS satellite info - so the problem is likely your analog clock.

·
Registered
1997 C280 , 2008 S550
210 Posts
I have the same problem where the analog clock does not match the COMAND clock. This usually happens when I disconnect the trunk battery. So this time, I thought I was smarter when swapping batteries which was to do it ASAP and within 1 minute of disconnect and reconnect. When I reconnected my new battery, for some reason, the analog clock has set to 12 o'clock. Ugh! Trying to set the clock and date through the COMAND did nothing. (The time was correct, but the date was in 2007.)

My solution was to make sure that the real 12 midnight had past (not the clock) and on the following morning, start the car, and reset the clock in COMAND. Just before you reset, it will show 12:00, so when you see that, you now have the ability to change the time. When you do change the time in COMAND, the analog clock will finally sync to the COMAND clock.

The date in COMAND is a similar issue. You might be able to change the date then. However if you cannot change the date, realize your clock has a day and night 12 hour cycle (if you set it that way instead of the 24 hour format). When you set the time in COMAND, you have no idea if it is set at AM or PM. If you cannot reset the date when you adjusted the clock per above, wait another 24 hours before you try to reset the date. It will then allow you to adjust the date. Yes, this procedure can take two days for this to work!

This was based on my trial and error and similar experience with a clock I had on a Maserati! (You get good in figuring out Italian electronics!)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts