Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just back from a three day break in Córdoba which is about 300 Kms from our home.
Things didn't start too well (sic) on Monday morning when the battery was not able to start the car.
With the boot/trunk loaded I had to make a decision, put the battery on charge and wait, or risk a jump start from our 4x4.
I decided to try an 8amp charge for fifteen minutes (+ terminal disconnected) which meant partially unloading bags to get to the battery. Luckily this strategy worked and the engine burst into life.

With everything repacked we set off for Córdoba.
I really had a chance to try out and test my new R230 wheels and tyres on the very twisty Málaga - Granada motorway, the G forces were with me :D

We were directed on to a brand new section of the Córdoba motorway that had just been opened, and with nothing else about I floored it on a very long flat straight.
I can report that my ECU has been de-limited ;) which may explain why a recent ECU chipset upgrade was not compatible.

The brief stay in Córdoba was superb and the main attraction, the Mezquita is an awesome work of architecture and art.

The journey home this morning was just as enjoyable which involved a some very friendly camaraderie with a seven series BMW for about 75Kms smoking anything in sight. We parted company driving side by side with huge grins and friendly gestures.

I'm not too sure if my wife enjoys it as much as I do, when we start going over 200Kph she starts to get a little quiet which maybe isn't a bad thing.

Maybe we should start a road trip thread

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,372 Posts
Just back from a three day break in Córdoba which is about 300 Kms from our home.
Things didn't start too well (sic) on Monday morning when the battery was not able to start the car.
With the boot/trunk loaded I had to make a decision, put the battery on charge and wait, or risk a jump start from our 4x4.
I decided to try an 8amp charge for fifteen minutes (+ terminal disconnected) which meant partially unloading bags to get to the battery. Luckily this strategy worked and the engine burst into life.

I really had a chance to try out and test my new R230 wheels and tyres on the very twisty Málaga - Granada motorway, the G forces were with me :D

We were directed on to a brand new section of the Córdoba motorway that had just been opened, and with nothing else about I floored it on a very long flat straight.
I can report that my ECU has been de-limited ;) which may explain why a recent ECU chipset upgrade was not compatible.

The brief stay in Córdoba was superb and the main attraction, the Mezquita is an awesome work of architecture and art.

The journey home this morning was just as enjoyable which involved a some very friendly camaraderie with a seven series BMW for about 75Kms smoking anything in sight. We parted company driving side by side with huge grins and friendly gestures.

I'm not too sure if my wife enjoys it as much as I do, when we start going over 200Kph she starts to get a little quiet which maybe isn't a bad thing.

I am glad you had a good time, and came, safely back home. :)
One warning though, about about wifes.
They are like cars, the older they get, the more noise they make. ;)
Enjoy now.
Trust me on this. :(
Regards.
aam.

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts

Well RedLiner you know it's not a bad idea? Well your story makes me think as a soundtrack "Steppenwolf - Born to be wild" at full blast, with the top down doing as you did 200+ KPH with a huge grin on your face ehehhe :D.

Cheers.

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
I remember all to clearly when doing about the same speed.
My wife said, "You know this probably isn't to good for your car, don't you."

·
Registered
95 sl500, AMG - F/R Brakes, Exhaust, Wheels. RennTech - ECU, CF Airbox. H&R Sport Springs. K&N
1,027 Posts
I remember all to clearly when doing about the same speed.
My wife said, "You know this probably isn't to good for your car, don't you."
funny to hear all of this cause my wife pushes the car as much if not more sometimes as i
will. I will never forget her going over a small rise in the road over the railroad tracks and she hit it so hard that the roll bar popped up. All the while she was grinning with glee. :) I am a very lucky man.

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,372 Posts
funny to hear all of this cause my wife pushes the car as much if not more sometimes as i
will. I will never forget her going over a small rise in the road over the railroad tracks and she hit it so hard that the roll bar popped up. All the while she was grinning with glee. :) I am a very lucky man.

Lol.
Mine is complete the opposite.
Did I get married with the wrong wife?
Should I trade her in, for two 16s, no that's not legal.
Ok I will have to settle for two 18 years old. :)
Hmm.
On the other hand.
No, I think I am going to keep her.
I don't think I can stand nagging in stereo. :(
Regards.
aam.

·
Registered
Mercedes 320sl
49 Posts
I think your idea of a road trip thread is a great idea Redliner

My favourite drive was on a trip to the UK last summer it was the first time on holiday with the Merc, we decided to take the coast road from Portsmouth to our destination Ashford in Kent passing through Worthing, Brighton, Hove, Beachey Head, Hastings and many more.
It was a different world away from the typical motorway madness of lorries and the repmobile, sunshine all the way with the top down, just fantastic.

As for over 200kph I dont know which would fall apart first me or the old motor!!!

Keep smiling
Baggers

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think your idea of a road trip thread is a great idea Redliner

My favourite drive was on a trip to the UK last summer it was the first time on holiday with the Merc, we decided to take the coast road from Portsmouth to our destination Ashford in Kent passing through Worthing, Brighton, Hove, Beachey Head, Hastings and many more.

Keep smiling
Baggers
I was born and lived in Hove until I emigrated to Spain.
My first sports car was an old Triumph TR5 Surrey top which I used to thrash around the Brighton area. The rules in those days were that the police would only stop you for speeding if they could catch you :D

One thing that dawned on me since returning from the Córdoba trip is that the car has been recently transferred on to Spanish registration plates. So maybe there will be a pile of speeding tickets in the post :(

Last year we did a mini gumball starting from Gibraltar through Spain and Potugal.
Stuart Knight's entourage is passing by this summer on their way to Morocco so maybe they can stop off here for a 'tapita'.

I'm visiting the UK next week and will hopefully meet up with Stuart, Jeff and Hal for a 'Middle England' pub crawl ;)

·
Registered
92 600 SL (LPG), 94 Subaru Impreza,02 Maserati 4200GT,97 Suzuki TL1000Sv, 02 Yamaha Fazer 1000
562 Posts
Next summer for our next Europe Blast James unfortunately, not this one. Mind you my wallet can only stand one of these trips every other year :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts