Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
161 - 177 of 177 Posts

·
Premium Member
1985 300D, 1991 560SEL
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
NEWS!!!

I received a text from Jonathan at BRM a few weeks back that he had some room open up to take in my 560. I've written him a nice little laundry list of items to address. She is scheduled to go see him this week! I don't expect it'll be a very fast turn-around but I'm thrilled nonetheless to be making progress. Ideally, by the time she comes home, she'll be a full-fledged driver and ready for road trips.

No movement on the wheel front, however. I last heard from my rebuilder about 6-8 weeks ago, to let me know everything is basically in limbo during supply chain shortages. Kind of a bummer, but not much I can do besides pout or deal with it.

There's also a new rear sway bar in the garage from John Cooper. I will install that when the car comes back from Blue Ridge Mercedes.

It's been a year since I brought the car home out of storage in VA. I'm stoked to be getting closer to the finish line.

·
Premium Member
1985 300D, 1991 560SEL
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
And she's off! Off to see the Wizard of Benz.

Jonathan's already had me order a set of adjustable KMAC bushings for the rear control arms. I don't know how long the turn around will be for all the work to be completed, but I know it won't be cheap, and I will be thrilled for it to be done.

Once this car is done, we are going to start putting together the turbo kit for the SC! She's just wrapped paint correction and I'll move to the interior now. This one's also going off in the next week or so to see the Toyota doctor.

·
Premium Member
1985 300D, 1991 560SEL
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 · (Edited)
It's been a while since I've posted updates. Well, fortunately, there are some.

I visited the car at Jonathan's shop about 2 weeks back. So far they've gotten a bit done. I'll try to hit most of it. They found the SLS leak. Who had their money on hemorrhaging low pressure hose running across the front of the engine? Well, you win!

Additionally they found one of my just-rebuilt front calipers was leaking, thus the inability to bleed the brakes properly. Hooray! I'm not that incompetent! The front suspension was raised by installing 4-nub spring pads. Not sure if there was anything changed in the back... They installed new engine mounts, and I think a new tranny mount. They found the timing service was just in the nick of time- one or some of the chain guides was evidently ready to grenade the engine. Yikes. Ignition cap and rotor were both in rough shape, likely contributing to my sputtering when taking off from a stop. So, new parts are in. The bit of oil smoke that I'd been getting from the passenger side of the car was, if I recall correctly, from the air pump. So, I believe they deleted it altogether.

A few other things here and there have been finished, I forget what they are. A few things remaining. I also brought them the rear sway bar that I bought from John's group buy a while back.

What's really interesting though... Jonathan called me a while back and says 'I'm 98% sure you'll need new cams. I've got some ECE cams here and they're not much more than the original style'. Well boys... We're getting some ECE cams and hopefully, if all works out, tri-Ys and exhaust. She'll be a runner!

On the wheel front... Well, it still sucks. I have gotten the one face, the one that I had repaired, back from powder. So for now it's just an odd piece of random 'flair' sitting on my work bench. Per the wheel builder, everything is completed save for 2 of the barrels, which are still yet to arrive to the shop. They did send me pictures of my lips, so that's sufficient, I guess.. I think it's 2.5" and 3.5" lips? Crap I don't even remember any more. They're due back to me 9 months ago.

Motor vehicle Rim Automotive wheel system Gas Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wheel Motor vehicle Tire

Automotive tire Fluid Automotive wheel system Rim Gas

So I'm just kind of hanging, waiting. Picking at little things on the red car before anything big starts. Started on compiling the big brake upgrade and HID projector retrofit parts. Supra TT rears, LS400 fronts, plus D2S 5.0 projectors and 55w components. Should be nice.

Wheel Sports equipment Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire
Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper

·
Premium Member
1985 300D, 1991 560SEL
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
Updates and great news abound!

I was advised last week that Jonathan was able to source the tri-ys for my car. So she should be pretty sweet with the goodies he's putting in.

I also heard from the wheel builder last night, my final 6.5" barrels have arrived! They'll be going in to the next powder coating batch and hopefully be at my door soon.

Oh man I can't wait.

·
Registered
'87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
1,223 Posts
Updates and great news abound!

I was advised last week that Jonathan was able to source the tri-ys for my car. So she should be pretty sweet with the goodies he's putting in.

I also heard from the wheel builder last night, my final 6.5" barrels have arrived! They'll be going in to the next powder coating batch and hopefully be at my door soon.

Oh man I can't wait.
Congratulations on the update/progress. Are the wheel lips polished stainless, aluminum, or some other metal?

Also, you can get the Tri-Ys and downpipes coated to minimize heat in the engine bay as well as prolong their condition (cast iron rust removed prior to coating), and maximize performance. I took Malcolm's recommendation and sent them to SwainTech in NY state. If you go that route, you guys will be responsible for packing/shipping, and they return the newly pristine items in the same packing material you sent them in.

·
Premium Member
1985 300D, 1991 560SEL
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
Congratulations on the update/progress. Are the wheel lips polished stainless, aluminum, or some other metal?

Also, you can get the Tri-Ys and downpipes coated to minimize heat in the engine bay as well as prolong their condition (cast iron rust removed prior to coating), and maximize performance. I took Malcolm's recommendation and sent them to SwainTech in NY state. If you go that route, you guys will be responsible for packing/shipping, and they return the newly pristine items in the same packing material you sent them in.
Gracias.

Lips will be polished, I'm pretty sure I opted not to have them cleared. It'll be a low-mileage, good-weather car, maintaining the lips shouldn't break me.

Good point on the headers. I know Jonathan had mentioned some sort of coating to me but I did not ask him about it when we spoke the other day. I should find that out before they go in..

·
Premium Member
1985 300D, 1991 560SEL
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
Not much for updates lately. Due to various things, the car is still in the shop and not quite yet completed. The Tri-Y headers were coated and are waiting to be installed. I did hear from my wheel rebuilder that all parts have been completed and entered in to the assembly queue. They advised about 2 weeks until completion, I won't be holding my breath. Remember, this was an 8-12 week project that I sent them early last year. :rolleyes:

I expect I'll have the car back and completed this year, but given the progress thus far, I'll probably get it back after gasoline engines have been regulated out of operation. :confused:

·
Premium Member
1985 300D, 1991 560SEL
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 · (Edited)
Read Posts 48,52,97 and 114, after a cost no object engine build ,by blue ridge

then read what was found once another shop opened it up
1986 Mercedes Benz 560SL — Carobu High Performance Parts and Accessories for Ferrari
Yikes, that's eyebrow raising. Such a departure from any other mention I've ever read of the shop. In fact, this would be the sole example I've ever known of where Jonathan didn't hit 100%. Huh.

·
Registered
Too many to list
11,510 Posts
Check out posts 1,3 and 32

·
Premium Member
1985 300D, 1991 560SEL
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
Thanks for sharing. I reached out today for news, hopefully there is some soon.

Jonathan is a great guy and wonderful to talk to. I expected a long turn around time, but I didn't think we'd be coming up to a year. Besides the motor rebuild you linked earlier, I've known and heard nothing but the best of him. I do have a little peace of mind that a lot of the wait time has to do with his perfectionism in finding the correct, non- alternative parts, and I am confident in his quality of work. To my knowledge he's one of the few remaining experts on the old cars and has knowledge to match guys doing this decades longer. I think the biggest thing I could suggest improving upon would just be more regular communication.

Anyway, this wasn't meant to be a criticism of him or his shop at all. I've been waiting much longer for the wheels to be built, I'm 4+years in to making this car a driver, I'm just ready for it.

161 - 177 of 177 Posts