Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Q: Is there a model you designed that you're unhappy with?

A: The W140 S-class from the early 1990s, because it is four inches too tall."

The Ford truck they used in the expendables had a 'chopped top' and west coast customs did a fantastic job on that.

The W140 would have looked so much better if Mr Sacco had his way. I was looking at my car earlier thinking "wow this car would look so exotic if it was 4 inches shorter in height". I'm sure they could have lowered the seating position to create more head room since that seems to be the only reason Mercedes didn't go with his the man's suggestion.. oh well.

Is anyone good with photopshop? Let's see a photoshopped W140 that's about 4 inches shorter in height. :thumbsup:

Read more: Q & A: Mercedes-Benz's Bruno Sacco - Latest News, Auto Show Coverage, and Future Cars - Automobile Magazine

·
Registered
403 Posts
He's not specific on how he would make it 4" shorter. I don't think you could just chop the top. I think the W126 is shorter. I owned both at the same time but I never remember looking at them side-by-side.

Interesting that he considers the R129 and The W220 as good designs. At this point in time I don't think you'll find many people who would pick those two.

The W126 is certainly a classic design. Instantly recognized as a Mercedes from any angle.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly I've always liked the W220 design and almost bought a W220 S500 on three different occasions. One was an 02' I was looking at back in 06' and the other two were 04' and 05' I saw in 07'. I test drove all of them and although they don't feel 'solid' they are certainly quiet and comfortable. I was surprised that the W140 S420 seemed like a more expensive car than the W220 S500s though (at least when sitting behind the driver's seat) The W220 has a cheap plastic japanese feel to it.. I'm glad I didn't buy any of them.. We couldn't agree on a reasonable price so I walked out on every one of them. I almost even bought an R230 at one point... Wow that would have been a nightmare too... Although arguably I think the R230 is the best design Mercedes has come up with since the coupe W126.

The W126 is a bit shorter in height and width but not by much. The windows are not as tall on the W126 so it gives the illusion that the car is longer and sleeker than the W140. I think had Bruno Sacco been given the OK to make the car shorter it would have resulted in a much more beautiful S class.

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
i don't think the w140 is too high(actually seems low enough when i look at from a front angle). but i too like r129, w126, w201 but i don't agree to the w220. at-least not the 00-03 w220 it is a money pit with too many plastic parts in the interior. i don't know if all issues were resolved in the 04-06 ones but if they were it might be a good car. but the way the w220 looks is nice but that was about it for the early model w220. but if it was up to me all older mercedes are great, they felt very good to drive, the parts were quality parts, and they had a great impression on people. i remember back when my dad got his 300d and it was worth $30,000(new was $40,000) back in the day and everyone would make great comments on the car. now days mercedes lost that impression

the next car i am considering is going to be w221. quality is great and it is safer than a w140 and its modern. i drove a 08 s65 and i literally fell in love lol comfortable, fast, good looking, and safe but the thing i hated was the shifter. i cant afford that car right now but its a great car, once they drop down in value i might look for a 600.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Hmm here's a quick photoshop. Not sure if its a 4 inches but you get the idea. I don't think the 4 inches he referred to is the roof alone, that'll look awkward. Perhaps 2-3 inches from roof and then lower the body an inch. I always though stock W140 rode really high, sort of like its made to go offroad as well. The commercial where they drove the W140 into mud just makes it more that way too lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
96-99 had the updated suspension so it did
Feel a whole lot lower but i mean the height matches the long wheel base. But on the short wheel base it looks alot higher

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
LOL. Interesting about the 4" shorter comment...

It's possibly his way of saying...the project was over budget, over engineered, and over extended...it's basically a little too much...4" too much....lol

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is IMO the way it should have come out from the factory. Very good job Sinned420! It looks incredibly good. :thumbsup:

I'd go as far as saying this looks better than any body kit or wheel upgrade I've seen. I had to save the picture. I think dropping the roofline another inch in your photoshop would have made it perfect looking.

Attachments

·
Registered
614 Posts
I think a chop top on a coupe could look amazing.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
six foot with a hat!

I've read that the reason is because Mercedes-Benz S classes had a standard that a six foot tall man with a hat on had to be able to get into the back seat without knocking off the hat.

The only other Bruno Sacco comment I heard about the W140 was that he said the car was "overall a bit severe in concept"

BTW I like the R129, I have one and enjoy it just as much as my W140!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i like it a little shorter.

I also like the W220. it just doesnt scream Mercedes in the same aspect that a 140 or especially like said above a 126 does

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I like it with H&R springs, 18" rims with front/rear offset wheels, Eisenmann exhaust, engine modified and tuned by AMG...

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
4" shorter = CLS

and we all know how spacious (sarcasm) that one is.

Anyway, they did get their shorter S class... 20 years later with the CLS.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
From a designer's aspect, I can see why Sacco feels the car is too tall, but from an engineering perspective, Mercedes made the right decision.

The W140 as a whole was designed to be larger than its predecessor so obviously the look of the car will be affected.

When it came time to design the W220 and address the criticism of the previous generation's bulky looks, the smaller, sleeker design was more up Sacco's alley (from an artist/designer perspective)

Notice how the design of the S-Class radically changes when the successor is meant to be larger than the predecessor?

W126 > W140 and W220 > W221.

Just think about it ;)

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
4" shorter = CLS

and we all know how spacious (sarcasm) that one is.

Anyway, they did get their shorter S class... 20 years later with the CLS.
Except the CLS looks like a saucer :surrender:

To me, if the roof was reduced, it'll resemble the chrysler 300's now with the small windows and huge body.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts