Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have an 06 S430 and am having issues with the trunk. Started about 2 weeks ago and the silver handle that slides out of the trunk lid by the button would not retract back into the trunk lid. Now the trunk will not open at all with the button inside the car and on the keyfob and the button on the trunk. I only have the valet key so I cant get into the trunk at all. I replaced fuses, the battery died over the weekend and I am barely able to jump the car from the passenger footwell. Any way to force it open so I can get a look at the mechanism or any emergency release from inside the car? Any insight is much appreciated

·
Registered
2005 S600
533 Posts
You have there problems: 1. Bad battery 2. Leaking trunk actuator and 3. No key.

So, it’s possible to drill the rear deck lid and open the trunk, but personally, I would start the process by getting a new key.

Proof of ownership and the VIN (plus a few $$) will get you a new, proper key at your dealership.

Then you can replace your bad actuator, and charge or repair your battery.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have there problems: 1. Bad battery 2. Leaking trunk actuator and 3. No key.

So, it’s possible to drill the rear deck lid and open the trunk, but personally, I would start the process by getting a new key.

Proof of ownership and the VIN (plus a few $$) will get you a new, proper key at your dealership.

Then you can replace your bad actuator, and charge or repair your battery.
Ya thats looking like my only route unfortunately. Do you think they could just cut a master key and I could use my same keyfob?

·
Registered
2003 S500
2,515 Posts
First thing to try is to find the floor light assembly just behind the right rear passenger's heels. Pull the assembly down at the top, then lift the light out from the carpeted wall. Find the yellow 20-Amp fuse near the right (inboard) end of the row of fuses and remove it. Make certain that it is not blown, and reinstall it. Try the trunk and see if it opens. If so, you have a leak in the pneumatic actuators. The computer keeps track of how long it takes for the actuator to work - if it is longer than the programmed time, the computer will disable the faulty actuator to protect the PSE pump. Removing the fuse resets the computer - but it will shut the system off again after a few too-long actuations.

Does your key fob really not have the metal key hidden in the end?

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,744 Posts
if your plastic car key fob doesn’t have a metal blade key inside Of it, you can order just the blade key very cheaply (should be $30 or so) which is the physical metal key to open your door and trunk . You’ll need to take your registration ( in your name ) to the dealer to order the key , to prove you own the car

now let’s talk about the problem you are having with your trunk and battery draining - you likely have water damage from a clogged drain under your windshield , check to see if there is standing water in the black waffle grills under passenger side windshield . If you can see water then you must pull up the passenger side carpets front and rear to dry the water sitting in the metal floor under the carpet pad

·
W220 Moderator
6,175 Posts
First thing to try is to find the floor light assembly just behind the right rear passenger's heels. Pull the assembly down at the top, then lift the light out from the carpeted wall. Find the yellow 20-Amp fuse near the right (inboard) end of the row of fuses and remove it. Make certain that it is not blown, and reinstall it. Try the trunk and see if it opens.
After doing the PSE reset as above /\ /\ /\ also try to open the Boot, (Trunk), using the Switch on the Drivers Door below the Window Switches ;)

Also try that reset and opening method with Engine running after jump start, and finally be very careful with that Jump Start Technique, you can fry Electronics and render the Car into a deceased write off :eek:
It is better to charge the Battery slowly overnight from those connections than actually Boost Start it ;)

HTH

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First thing to try is to find the floor light assembly just behind the right rear passenger's heels. Pull the assembly down at the top, then lift the light out from the carpeted wall. Find the yellow 20-Amp fuse near the right (inboard) end of the row of fuses and remove it. Make certain that it is not blown, and reinstall it. Try the trunk and see if it opens. If so, you have a leak in the pneumatic actuators. The computer keeps track of how long it takes for the actuator to work - if it is longer than the programmed time, the computer will disable the faulty actuator to protect the PSE pump. Removing the fuse resets the computer - but it will shut the system off again after a few too-long actuations.

Does your key fob really not have the metal key hidden in the end?
Yes have replaced that fuse and still nothing unfortunately. I do have the metal key but it only works on the door, not the trunk or glove box. What I was hoping was that they could just cut the metal key and I can slide it into my existing key fob

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if your plastic car key fob doesn’t have a metal blade key inside Of it, you can order just the blade key very cheaply (should be $30 or so) which is the physical metal key to open your door and trunk . You’ll need to take your registration ( in your name ) to the dealer to order the key , to prove you own the car

now let’s talk about the problem you are having with your trunk and battery draining - you likely have water damage from a clogged drain under your windshield , check to see if there is standing water in the black waffle grills under passenger side windshield . If you can see water then you must pull up the passenger side carpets front and rear to dry the water sitting in the metal floor under the carpet pad
great info I will take a look thank you

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After doing the PSE reset as above /\ /\ /\ also try to open the Boot, (Trunk), using the Switch on the Drivers Door below the Window Switches ;)

Also try that reset and opening method with Engine running after jump start, and finally be very careful with that Jump Start Technique, you can fry Electronics and render the Car into a deceased write off :eek:
It is better to charge the Battery slowly overnight from those connections than actually Boost Start it ;)

HTH
Would it be possible to charge the battery from there? I will hook up a charger tonight if so. The car is currently beached in my garage due to a seperate airmatic issue lol The battery is dead, I let it run for about 20mins but didnt get enough juice to start on its own, it probly will need a new bat which is no issue but I cant get into the trunk

·
Registered
2005 S600
533 Posts
Letting the car run, when the battery had been dead, won’t get it anywhere close to full charge. The AGM battery (you do have the correct battery type, don’t you?) takes a lot to fully charge. I would put it on a smart charter for a solid several hours when you get this open.

You can apply 12V there, a few amps, to charge the battery, but don’t try to jump it, just enough charge to run the PSE pump and see if you can get the trunk open. If you can open it, then put a proper charge on that battery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts