Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys i am in Australia, Right hand drive 1999 ML320,

can anyone tell me if I can source a door lock actuator for front-left in US, for my vehicle, mine being reversed on the right side. The cost for this part is over $600 in Aus (Excluding delivery), verses under $300 delivered by express Air freight, from US!

(part #163 720 2735 in Aus) (part #163 720 2535 in US)

thanks for any help.

edit: Also if I had to take my actuator out after all, during the process I understand you have to drill the rivets of the window rail. instead of re-riveting them, can I just bolt it back on with nut and bolts? Reason being is because if I take my actuator out and try to repair it (as per a great pdf ill attatch here too) but it doesn't work, I still want to use my car before I can order the part from overseas or where ever. Not gonna pay $600. See folks, this is what us Australians have to deal with. Inflated prices everywhere.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,150 Posts
To get cheaper MB parts from the USA into Australia there are 2 basic types of sellers.
(1) Full-priced MB dealers that will export directly. e.g. MB of South Atlanta (trading as MBpartsworld.com)
(2) Discount parts dealers that won't export, e.g. MBOnlineParts.com, RMeuropean.com. However, they will send your parts via a freight forwarder.

The difference is, a direct exporter can give you more options e.g. cheaper methods. MBpartsworld sent me a box via Fedex International Economy which took a few days extra but saved $$. My freight forwarder sends everything by Air Express, which is the most expensive way.

You have to do the math to work out which is better. If you're spending a few hundred, the money you save in the discount makes up for the express shipping.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I use a freight forwarder and find it very economical. Parts in Australia are normally 2 to 3 times the online price from the states. I found the part you are after selling for $172.80 at genuinemercedesparts.com where I buy most of my bits. They don't ship overseas but will accept overseas credit card details.

I normally consolidate my purchases and only ship after several purchases. The freight forwarders will repack the items to save freight. There are some traps to be aware of.

[1] Ensure that the part number is correct. It probably won't be worth it to return an item.

[2] Even though specific parts for RHD vehicles are listed on US sites, they don't normally have the part. Other parts for US vehicles can have differences so be careful if the part number aren't the same.

[3] Beware of ordering bulky items. Freight companies charge for volumetric weight. If you order something big and light, then you can order something small and heavy and the two will ship for the same cost as one article.

[4] Don't ship more than $1000 worth of parts or you will pay GST on it. You don't have to pay US tax either so you win at both ends.

I've found that it is often quicker to order a part from the US, then forward it to Australia, than it is to order from the dealer. There isn't much stock for W163's stored here and most parts come from either Singapore or Germany.

There are several companies in the US that will forward the items for you. I presently use MYUS. I was using MyUSshopnship but they were bought out by MyUS. There is a small monthly charge to obtain the US address but they do give a discount on freight. I've shipped several packages so far with no problems.

·
Premium Member
4,491 Posts
I have a 99 ml 430 complete im wrecking if that would help it has all the door parts still in it . I'm in melbourne but could post it to you.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Matt, thanks for the offer. I would be interested in the part for the right price of course. How many km's were on your 430?

Would you have part number? I know it may be a bit of a bitch to remove the part, but how much would you think is fair for it?

Of course I would prefer a new part as who knows how much life your actuator has, but I also would give it the gamble for the right price.

Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Driver side door mate so R/H. $50 sounds fair :) If it goes shot after a little while maybe I can combine the two and repair.

Also, thanks to the above replies. I really appreciate you guys going out and looking for me on those websites. I would've ended up going with an overseas dealer, even though I found the part through a courier friend who works for Mercedes Benz for $285.

·
Premium Member
4,491 Posts
I'll pull it out tomorrow and let you know the part no. i would think it would be ok.Whats your post code so i can work out postage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts