Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1980/1981 SLC titled as an '80 450SLC VIN is an '81 380 SLC
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now that we've figured out my SLC is indeed a mutant (and likely NOT a factory oddity) I can seemingly press forward with 'making this thing run, and preferably run right' - which is going to be interesting...

before i pollute the forum community with myriad 'what is this' and what 'should be hooked up to it' questions, are there *visual* aid type threads already out there? i emphasize the 'visual' aspect of this request as i'm doing what most newbies to a given car and/or marque must do - open the hood, remove the huge air cleaner housing and look for stuff that's CLEARLY not hooked up - or other things that are pretty clearly broken.

for example - the pic below shows a two wire connector (red circle) on top of the engine (117 apparently from a 450 SEL) on the left/US driver side of the air cleaner - what is it? can i re-solder, or do i need to replace?

and again... is there a thread like this out there already or... :eek: a suggested manual? this has several vac hoses loose... and dangling wires... all over the engine bay

Attachments

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,326 Posts
Difficult to identify in that picture. I have a guess but it would only be a guess.

·
Registered
1977 450SL
257 Posts
Picture is too far out. Need a closeup to identifiy good but it looks like the cold start injector.

Should have listened to dad when he told me it would make me go blind

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,498 Posts
now that we've figured out my SLC is indeed a mutant (and likely NOT a factory oddity) I can seemingly press forward with 'making this thing run, and preferably run right' - which is going to be interesting...

before i pollute the forum community with myriad 'what is this' and what 'should be hooked up to it' questions, are there *visual* aid type threads already out there? i emphasize the 'visual' aspect of this request as i'm doing what most newbies to a given car and/or marque must do - open the hood, remove the huge air cleaner housing and look for stuff that's CLEARLY not hooked up - or other things that are pretty clearly broken.

for example - the pic below shows a two wire connector (red circle) on top of the engine (117 apparently from a 450 SEL) on the left/US driver side of the air cleaner - what is it? can i re-solder, or do i need to replace?

and again... is there a thread like this out there already or... :eek: a suggested manual? this has several vac hoses loose... and dangling wires... all over the engine bay
After blowing the picture up a bit (right click) I will agree that it is the coldstart injector.

How does it start first thing?

Look at this thread and please add to it when you can........

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/1460113-components-locations-acronyms-pics.html

·
Registered
1977 450SL
257 Posts
Cold start injector is activated by the thermo time switch just below the front of the air filter box in the manifold. Under a certain temp it gives a extra shot of fuel to assist cold starts.
The female part of the plug can be bought at AutohauseAZ.

Shoot away with the what is it questions. These guys will either give the answer or direct you to where the answer is.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mo pics and follow-up!

How does it start first thing?

Start?! first thing? before, or after i shoot a good snort of Carb cleaner up its snout? - she don't wanna fire - so... hmmm maybe dats it!

Here are a few pics to be more clear - taken from the passenger (right) side of vehicle

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oil cooler?

it has been noted that my oil cooler (right side of radiator) is not hooked up... if it pressure tests well, do i connect lines to the bosses on the oil sump/oil filter doo-flickey on the front of the engine noted in this photo?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
one last - huh?! for today

noted this "connector" (at least i figure it's an electrical connector for a gauge or something that grounds through the sensor?) for location, we're on the right side of the front of the engine - we're right of the distributor above the alternator full pic again for reference and then zoom... its at the bottom right of the 'zoom' pic - is this the temp sensor? seems to be right there at the coolant hose leaving the engine block...?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fuel pup safety switch...

Fuel pump safety switch. Without it the fuel pump runs all the time.
and so... if i may inquire further any ideas where i should be looking for the missing wires/connector? does this go to a relay (underhood somewhere?), directly to the fuel pump (inside the fuel tank?), or... where? i'm guessing as this is something of a mutant (car, not me... or at least i'm not the focus of these forums here), i probably can't count on color coding of wires, but... if such info exists... i'm guessing i'd need color coding for the chassis which is apparently a 1981 380SLC (i'm not sure why it has a 450SE/SEL .117 engine wedged between the fenders, but woohoo... it runs - even with 30% of the vacuum lines open and a frightening number of wires/connectors not connected)

again... many thanks to ALL who are lending help! :thumbsup:

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,326 Posts
Put plugs in the oil cooler. There are too many parts that are missing.

·
Registered
1976 450SL, 1945 Willy's CJ2A, 2007 Dodge Nitro
73 Posts
and so... if i may inquire further any ideas where i should be looking for the missing wires/connector? does this go to a relay (underhood somewhere?), directly to the fuel pump (inside the fuel tank?), or... where? i'm guessing as this is something of a mutant (car, not me... or at least i'm not the focus of these forums here), i probably can't count on color coding of wires, but... if such info exists... i'm guessing i'd need color coding for the chassis which is apparently a 1981 380SLC (i'm not sure why it has a 450SE/SEL .117 engine wedged between the fenders, but woohoo... it runs - even with 30% of the vacuum lines open and a frightening number of wires/connectors not connected)

again... many thanks to ALL who are lending help! :thumbsup:

It goes to a relay located above the fuses under the dash on the passenger side. I believe it's the top left relay. Fuel pump, filter, and accumulator are all located in a bundle under the fuel tank near the passenger side rear tire.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
temp sensor?

thanks for all of the *excellent* help thus far!!! i may get this thing running one day without it needing a hefty snort of carb cleaner!

(as a side note: i use carb cleaner to crank stubborn engines rather than starting fluid as i have yet to find something that requires starting fluid that 'ought' to be running - in general if it's in such bad shape that ether is required, it might need more comprehensive rehab than simply a shot of starting fluid - granted this comes from years playing with aircooled vw's that may just have a lower tolerance for 'abuse' of this kind :) ) it is also because so many of my years underhood doing restorations on aircooled's that i stare blankly at all of the "stuff" under this hood... my beloved karmann ghia only had one vacuum line - and that was removed when i installed the bosch 009 mechanical advance distributor!)

anyway, back on task... I *think* this is the temp sensor? am i right? any idea what color wire *should* be attached here? when the car runs, the temp gauge swings from max to min, so i'm guessing it's sitting somewhere underhood, intermittently grounding and breaking ground (figure its a standard resistor - type gauge that changes as resistance goes up and down...?)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
'female two lead connector'

Cold start injector is activated by the thermo time switch just below the front of the air filter box in the manifold. Under a certain temp it gives a extra shot of fuel to assist cold starts.
The female part of the plug can be bought at AutohauseAZ.

Shoot away with the what is it questions. These guys will either give the answer or direct you to where the answer is.
would this be the part to which you are referring?

Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

as mine is crushed/mia i am fresh out of examples :eek:

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,326 Posts
thanks for all of the *excellent* help thus far!!! i may get this thing running one day without it needing a hefty snort of carb cleaner!

(as a side note: i use carb cleaner to crank stubborn engines rather than starting fluid as i have yet to find something that requires starting fluid that 'ought' to be running - in general if it's in such bad shape that ether is required, it might need more comprehensive rehab than simply a shot of starting fluid - granted this comes from years playing with aircooled vw's that may just have a lower tolerance for 'abuse' of this kind :) ) it is also because so many of my years underhood doing restorations on aircooled's that i stare blankly at all of the "stuff" under this hood... my beloved karmann ghia only had one vacuum line - and that was removed when i installed the bosch 009 mechanical advance distributor!)

anyway, back on task... I *think* this is the temp sensor? am i right? any idea what color wire *should* be attached here? when the car runs, the temp gauge swings from max to min, so i'm guessing it's sitting somewhere underhood, intermittently grounding and breaking ground (figure its a standard resistor - type gauge that changes as resistance goes up and down...?)
The sender for the gauge is located on the left rear of the engine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts