Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1997 SL500
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I typically use Amsoil in all my cars so I am going to start it in the SL once my AutoRX treatment is done. Do any of you suggest the Signature Series OW-30 or the Europian 5W-40? Temps here can get to -40, so I need a cold weather oil and I change about every 10,000 or so.

What is a good filter for these cars? Mann, Wix, etc???? Thanks!

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
12,182 Posts
I think Mann is one of the OEM filter suppliers for MB factory, so it should be OK.
I am interested to hear about your experience with AutoRx. I am aware of this product but have never used it. What was the reason for you to use AutoRx in the first place ? and what is the result (may be too early to tell)?

·
Premium Member
95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
10,980 Posts

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
I use Amsoil "5W-40 European Car Formula".

Though people are always telling me it's too thin for the excessive heat of Florida's summertime...

·
Registered
1997 SL500
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I never really get how the oil can be too thin for the Florida heat, after all, if you have a 190 thermostat in your car isn't that as hot as your engine is going to get (for the most part)? So I think that is a good oil for you. I think I will use the 0w-30 for the extra cold weather protection.

AUTO RX... I have used it in two of my Honda's before with positive results, my 95 Accord seemed to run smoother, (very scintific huh!) and it had about 180,000 miles on it. My 98 Odyssey was burning a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. I did the full treatment and now it is 20,000 miles later and it doesn't burn any oil or very little. I am on a 15,000 mile OCI with it and it has been about 8,000 miles so far and oil is still up at the top. So if you ask me that is pretty impressive. :D

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
So do you think your '98 Odyssey was burning oil due to sticky piston rings which let the oil get through ? and the AutoRx treatment un-stuck them for better seal ?
What is the reason to use it on your SL ? Is it showing problems? or just want to clean thing up as preventive measure.

·
Registered
1991 500SL
140 Posts
I just switched from Mobil 1 to Amsoil European Formula 5w-40 in preparation for a new driving year. I don't run the car in the winter, so just summer temps. I was running 15w50 in the Mobil 1, so I'm a bit nervous going down to 5w, but my indy highly reccomends it, and I flipped Amsoil an email with my location, ambient temps I would be using the car in, and driving style. They also recommended going to the European formula within thier product line.

·
Registered
1997 SL500
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So do you think your '98 Odyssey was burning oil due to sticky piston rings which let the oil get through ? and the AutoRx treatment un-stuck them for better seal ?
What is the reason to use it on your SL ? Is it showing problems? or just want to clean thing up as preventive measure.
I was thinking my Odyssey was buring it through some bad seal with the rings or valves. The van sat a lot and was kinda abused before I got it.

For my SL, the previous owner put like 5,000 miles on it over the last 5 years, so it sat a lot too. He also used regular oil instead of synthetic, so I had an extra couple of bottles of AutoRX sitting in the garage so I thought I would give it a good treatment (it has 88,000 miles on it). Just a good way to prepare it for my synthetic I will use. I am thinking I will use the 0W-30 Signature Series from Amsoil now, as that is what I run in my van too and then wouldn't have to fart around with another type of oil.

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
Thank you for sharing your experience with AutoRx. I've heard about it but never used it myself.

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6 (SOLD) 2012 E 350CDI Cabrio 265 PS
4,544 Posts
Catterman excuse my ignorance but could you please explain me about the AutoRX thing or give me some links? Now I have a 2003 CL 500 with around 79K miles on it and always serviced at the dealership since I bought the car 18 months ago: since the previous owner was a pig I was wondering if I needed such a treatment too just to be safe.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6 (SOLD) 2012 E 350CDI Cabrio 265 PS
4,544 Posts
Thanks RKH.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1997 SL500
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Catterman excuse my ignorance but could you please explain me about the AutoRX thing or give me some links? Now I have a 2003 CL 500 with around 79K miles on it and always serviced at the dealership since I bought the car 18 months ago: since the previous owner was a pig I was wondering if I needed such a treatment too just to be safe.

Cheers.
Hey you bet. It is a very unique product, not like snake oil at all and very easy on your engine. I learned about it from Bobistheoilguy forum, here is a link to that one that explains a lot
Oil Additives - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Very creadible sources over there too. So if you have an extra hour or two you can really read up a lot on it! Good luck!

PS, I would post more about my experience with AutoRX in my Mercedes, however I am only about 700 miles into the treatment. :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts