Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to sorting the build on my AMG/OZ 3 piece widebody wheels for the black WB coupe project.
Did not too crazy on width and tires
Rear 17 x 11" (7' barrel/4" lip) wearing Sumitomo HTR-Z 315/35/17
Front 17 x 9" (6.5" barrel / 2.5" lip) wearing Sumitomo HTR-Z 255/40/17 - my front centres are the very rare version
Decided being a black coupe to stick with silver centres and bling it up with gold screws - haha
IMG_2842 by Kim, on Flickr
IMG_2845 by Kim, on Flickr
IMG_2860 by Kim, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
4,067 Posts
They look awesome.

315 width is substantial. Makes my 275's look inadequate.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
looks awesome

did u clear coat the barrels or bare aluminum?

for the centers did u use the standard 18 et and 17 et f/r one would have with a typical staggered set?

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,827 Posts
Why do tires use the metric system for width, and SAE / English for wheel diameter?

Wouldn’t it be more appropriate to say this?

They look awesome.

12” is substantial. Makes my 10” look inadequate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looks awesome

did u clear coat the barrels or bare aluminum?
Yes they were stripped and painted both sides in etch primer and then aluminium colour coat and then clear coated

for the centers did u use the standard 18 et and 17 et f/r one would have with a typical staggered set?
I am very fortunate that over the years i scored 3 x pairs and a spare (7 front rims) of a very rare centre offset that AMG had made for the front.
The wheels are still 17 x 8.5" et18 (as per the normal fronts) are are stamped et18 but the rear hub was made to allow a 6.5" barrel & 2" lip in instead of what you normally see with a 7" barrel & 1.5" lip
I run these rare spec rims on the front of both my white coupe & my SEL which allows me the extra depth of lip without any change to the ET18 offset.
So on the widebody build i simpy stepped up an extra 1/2" with a 2.5" lip to give me a 9inch front.
I could have easily gone to a 3" lip (from a rear) to give me 9.5" front but thinking more of stress on steering components etc kept it to 9" for now and that is the sweet spot for a 255/40/17 tire

The rears were standard 17 x 10" et17 (7" barrel/3" lip) and i simply swapped in a 4" rear lip to create an 11inch rear width.
Again i could have gone wider on the rear up to 12inch but i reckon 11inch is the sweet spot for 315/35/17 tire without getting that stretch look

Interesting fact about original AMG widebody & these wheels -
AMG created their own brand spacers and you see a lot of widebodies with standard width 8.5" & 10" combo simply pushed out with spacers.
Then they also had a rear offset made in ET5 to push the 10" rears out with no spacers and those rare 8.5" fronts of mine in ET18 but with wider lips

The most radical is standard body spec sets that are swapped in with 5" lip = 12" wide rears and that rear 3" lip swapped to the front = 10" wide fronts (as per Henric on AMG Classic Forum) wearing same tires 315/35/17 on the rear with stretched look and 275/40/17 front tire - which i believe is too wide for a front tire re stress it places on steering components and issues with tram lining etc

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
talking about stress on suspension components, especially in the front...the front standard amg face is heavy as heck...i remember noticing 2 yrs ago when i was refinishing my wheels and painting blue

the face of the front is quite heavier than the rear face....and compared to what my car came with....stock forged 14 bundts....very different.

ok so clear on barrel too? along with face

·
Premium Member
4,067 Posts
Here is a comparison between the front and rear hubs for the 3-piece rims.

The front has a much deeper bolt section.

·
Premium Member
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With my rare ET18 AMG fronts the hub is made 1/2inch shorter than the tall front one in the pic which is also ET18
So my fronts are actually lighter than a standard front due to the design - which reduces the barrel by 1/2" and increased the lip by 1/2" in standard body 8.5" width - if that makes sense.

I am not sure when AMG decided to introduce the rare spec ET18 fronts i have - but i have a hunch it was designed for the front WB applications to allow a deeper lip and remain an 8.5" rim

·
Registered
5,009 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Good question -
AMG 3-piece rims ran special make 72mm bolts (39mm shank) on the 10" rear rims / and 85mm bolts (39mm shank) on the standard 8.5" ET18 fronts with the tall hubs
However these bolts were always very hard to source these days - but the simplest solution was to buy these new lugs from USA for both front & rear in the link below which are 63mm in total length and look fine.
http://www.ezaccessory.com/Lug_Bolt_12x1_50_Ball_Seat_39mm_Shank_Mercedes_p/957.htm

In my case with the shallower front hubs i just run the above new 63mm lugs on both front & rear and they look spot on

Of note the above seller also supplies new the MB factory spec extended shaft 95mm lug bolts which are far better than re-using old lugs that are in crap condition for standard MB factory rims

·
Premium Member
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No the original rims bolts were always just chrome plated, so these are aftermarket from the UK supplier - SSR Hardware Ltd
They supply new lips/barrels & rim screws - you can get the rim screws in titanium from them if you are wanting to shred some weight
You can get lug bolts custom made in USA in Titanium (at a cost) if wanting to shred some more weight

For those interested as per my white coupe rears - you can run a 3.5" rear lip on 275/40/17 tires no problem on your standard body coupe if wanting to go a
bit deeper on the rear lip from 3" lip to 3.5" lip (+ 1/2inch). It does look better

·
Premium Member
4,067 Posts
Looks like you got gold hardware but were you able to source original OZ 10 point?
The dimension of the bolts is M7x32 and can be sourced from several outlets. One of them listed by KRH. A few years back I tried several different eBay vendors and found the quality was generally quite poor.

The original OZ bolts are no longer available, so take extra good care of them when you find them. If you send your wheels out for refurbishment, make sure they are aware that your wheels have the original bolts and that you expect them to be retained.

·
Premium Member
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For those interested here are the AMG part #'s for the forged centres specific to W126 chassis (and earlier R129 chassis)
The stamping on the rear of the centres are as follows in exact order (the Part # is the bottom line)

It would be interesting if we found why AMG (pre-merger) later produced the bottom listed centre with wider lip but same ET18 spec as the original front.
My hunch was for widebody front application in later series Gen2. But i cant confirm that

Standard front 17 x 8.5" ET18 with 1.5" lip / 7" barrel
12 . 87. 7. MB5
8.5J x 17 H2 E18
C740 0175

Rear 17 x 10" ET17 with 3" lip / 7" barrel
12 . 01. 0 . MB2
10J x 17 H2 E17
C740 0146

More rare front with wider lip
17 x 8.5" ET18 with 2" lip / 6.5" barrel
12 . 85 . 7. MB4
8.5J x 17 H2 E18
C740 0135

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
Wonderful and precise information. Good work gentleman.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Interesting facts about the front widebody OZ wheels, Kim. I knew the widebody rear wheels are ET5. Did not know there was also a widebody front OZ. Thanks for posts and we all look forward to seeing posts on your WB build.

What are the P/Ns for the rear ET5 wheels? I had one with a cracked lug hole - gave it to Jono to use the barrels.

Al

·
Premium Member
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am not sure Al what that part # was for the ET5 offset 17 x 10" rears ?
I do know the part # for the higher offset 8.5" rim that was fitted to the W124 and i think later model R129
12. 85 . 7 MB6
8.5J x 17 H2 E30
C740 0189

Here is a pic of the AMG spacers that were originally used on the standard body W126 rims 8.5" front / 10" rear to push them out on the WB builds

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts