Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know AMG, before their merger with Mercedes-Chrysler-Jeep, made some W124 CE wide bodied coupes that were not "Hammers."
This may have been an AMG Japan only item but I am not sure.

I would like some pics of the rear fenders. I have read on the net (so you know it must be true) that there is a guy who has an unused set in metal somewhere in the UK. He apparently is a friend of a friend of someone's cousins neighbor. Undoubtedly he is related to the lady who has the new 1967 427 Vette with 25 miles on it where someone died inside the car so she can't sell it... first time I heard that story I almost was hit by a Brontosaurus.

So if anyone knows about the rear fenders, a part number or a contact who can tell me about them, OR THE CARS, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Ron

·
Registered
368 Posts
He there.I think i know who the you talking about is,so i`ll ask him later.If you like to see a whole car,there is a member here also from UK username NICKGED who has a widebody

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I know AMG, before their merger with Mercedes-Chrysler-Jeep, made some W124 CE wide bodied coupes that were not "Hammers."
This may have been an AMG Japan only item but I am not sure.

I would like some pics of the rear fenders. I have read on the net (so you know it must be true) that there is a guy who has an unused set in metal somewhere in the UK. He apparently is a friend of a friend of someone's cousins neighbor. Undoubtedly he is related to the lady who has the new 1967 427 Vette with 25 miles on it where someone died inside the car so she can't sell it... first time I heard that story I almost was hit by a Brontosaurus.

So if anyone knows about the rear fenders, a part number or a contact who can tell me about them, OR THE CARS, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Ron
Ron

This is the original ad for "1AMG" which was a RHD 320CE AMG build by Strattons.

This vehicle which was publicized in most period auto mags is currently owned by a young man named Nick, as the previous poster stated.
It has been validated as "the" car.

Pix below are of the only known C124 AMG widebody kit which is also in the UK.
I communicate directly with the owner and the kit is not for sale.
The owner is a very private individual and only communicates with those that he knows.
I have all the part numbers, but they are useless as the parts no longer exist.

REAR

FRONT

The AMG kit sheet metal is quite flimsy and requires a great deal of expertise to install.

I'm in the process of building a "tribute" to "1AMG" and using late 80's 911 sheetmetal will provide an identical contour to the AMG kit.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
now rbycc,
why is that little project of yours only on the uk MB club forum? i had to register there just to see it. :mad:
should be posting that on MBCA forums...attract some attention if ya know what i mean. :D

anywho, yes, nick has the stratton coupe. wonderful piece of art he's created right about now.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ron

This vehicle which was publicized in most period auto mags is currently owned by a young man named Nick, as the previous poster stated.
It has been validated as "the" car.

I communicate directly with the owner and the kit is not for sale.
The owner is a very private individual and only communicates with those that he knows.

The AMG kit sheet metal is quite flimsy and requires a great deal of expertise to install.

I'm in the process of building a "tribute" to "1AMG" and using late 80's 911 sheetmetal will provide an identical contour to the AMG kit.

Ed,
Do you know how much wider the AMG flares are compared to 500E? I just acquired a full used set and only notice approx an inch wider than stock. I didn't realize Nick had a NOS AMG set, I noticed he posted his welding plans on Youtube.

bsmuwk, he's posted these on MBWorld as well...

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
now rbycc,
why is that little project of yours only on the uk MB club forum? i had to register there just to see it. :mad:
should be posting that on MBCA forums...attract some attention if ya know what i mean. :D

anywho, yes, nick has the stratton coupe. wonderful piece of art he's created right about now.

I did the build thread on the UK forum mainly because of the info I was able to get from a few members....
Got a great deal of insight on how AMG modified the C124 and C126 into widebodies...
It wasn't a simple bolt on procedure and require a great deal of skill to attach the panels..

Posted on a few of the USA forums, but many of the new 124 fans just want to see how low they can drop the car before it no longer rolls...!!!!

UK forum guys are really avid enthusiasts..they still fix stuff that we would trash !!!

Nick got himself a TIG welder for Christmas, so he will be very creative..
He just needs to get the power to the ground without tearing up the rubber bits and pieces that Merc is famous for..!!!

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
yep,

we've been talking and there seems to be common ground going with u joints at the transmission and differential. $$, fab time and parts all that's really required to get the ball rolling with these things. as soon as my flywheel comes, we'll see what the fellas at the chicago hot rod chassis garage will think up. :D

anyway, yes, nick should be the man to contact regarding those rear fenders.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Ed,
Do you know how much wider the AMG flares are compared to 500E? I just acquired a full used set and only notice approx an inch wider than stock. I didn't realize Nick had a NOS AMG set, I noticed he posted his welding plans on Youtube.

bsmuwk, he's posted these on MBWorld as well...
Hey Felix...

Happy New Year...

Nick isn't the individual with the NOS kit..he just has the original " 1AMG"...

The widebody front flare extends a bit more then the 500E...
I have the measurements somewhere...

We got about exact by overlaying a cut out stock wheel arch on my existing fender...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hey Felix...

Happy New Year...

Nick isn't the individual with the NOS kit..he just has the original " 1AMG"...

The widebody front flare extends a bit more then the 500E...
I have the measurements somewhere...

We got about exact by overlaying a cut out stock wheel arch on my existing fender...

Happy New Year to you too, I'm looking forward to a better '10!

Nice work, I guess the radial cuts were necessary for the extension. I was debating whether the 500E width was worth the trouble but "ultra" wide makes sense for your power.

for those of you interested in Nicks video:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just gotta say fellas....your expertise, knowledge, and connections with each other both here and abroad remain an inspiration for me.

Thanks for the exciting photo's and hopes that I too can make the MB enthusiast "connections" you've so clearly demonstrated are possible.

Happy new year guys,
David

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

FRONT

THANK YOU.

And a pair of genuine Wellies too, no repros there !!!!
When you say flimsy do you mean thin gauge metal?
The panels look like they are stamped but it seems unlikely that AMG would go through the expense of metal tooling doesn't it?
Maybe they used wooden forms to press the metal, thereby accounting for the thin gauge. But you're still looking at a considerable expense for that alone. What do you think?
Were they meant to install over the existing rear quarter panels for example?
I'm not seeing any mounting holes so maybe they were TIGed to the existing panels. Or as per AMG spoiler practice, bonded.
I will be having lunch with one of the body guys who worked at Westmont in a week or two. I know, per conversations with Buxbaum, that they (AMG NA)didn't produce any wide bodied C124s, not sure about BHMA though.
Do you think that this was a Stratton only item?
Then again I have seen a few different pics of Japanese Wide Bodies, they seem to use 500E front fenders as well as the 500E rear arches. Looks good but on all the pics I have seen there seems to cladding fit problems. Apparently the heating of the plastic under an IR lamp and then clamping it into shape has eluded them.
Not to mention the 500E front fenders with AMG front bumper just doesn't fit right. I can't put my finger on it but something just doesn't look right.

As a side note, if you could provide the part numbers for the fenders I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanking You in advance.

Ron

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Happy New Year to you too, I'm looking forward to a better '10!

Nice work, I guess the radial cuts were necessary for the extension. I was debating whether the 500E width was worth the trouble but "ultra" wide makes sense for your power.

Felix

The radial or "relief" cuts were made to extend the stock overlay arch out enough to cover the 17x8 ET17 Aero I 3 piece AMG/OZ wheel.

This matched what AMG did on "1AMG".

Nick's videos helped me quite a bit especially on the initial patterning.
Along with the dimensions "Nev" ( who Nick mentioned as the owner of the elusive AMG kit ) took off of the AMG kit sheetmetal.
The AMG panel install is rather crude as Nick shows in the vid !!!!

Uncanny how close the 911 rear stamping matches the AMG kit.
Probably do to similar wheel arch shape and contour to cover the same size wheels?

Looking at about 100+ manhours per side to get to primer..
Fortunately a friend is doing the paint and body work which holds the labor cost down.

2009 wasn't as good as 2008, but no complaints...
2010 will be great as long as I have my health !!!

Ed A.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
THANK YOU.

And a pair of genuine Wellies too, no repros there !!!!
That proves they are in the UK !!!!
This is where they are carefully being stored in a "climate controlled environment"...as in it's the same "climate" as the outside of the shed...

I also have pix of the front, rear bumpers along with the side skirts

When you say flimsy do you mean thin gauge metal?
The panels look like they are stamped but it seems unlikely that AMG would go through the expense of metal tooling doesn't it?
Maybe they used wooden forms to press the metal, thereby accounting for the thin gauge. But you're still looking at a considerable expense for that alone. What do you think?
Were they meant to install over the existing rear quarter panels for example?
I'm not seeing any mounting holes so maybe they were TIGed to the existing panels. Or as per AMG spoiler practice, bonded.
Flimsy in the sense of thin gauge sheetmetal.
Not sure if stamped or panel beaten on a buck which is typical of one off pieces.
Why I think it may be a short run stamping is the surface of the panel.
If they were beaten and shaped on an English wheel, they would have some minor dimpling which is then covered by a thick body filler.
Typical even of high end coach built cars.

You can see in Nick's video of "1AMG" how the panels were crudely welded.

I will be having lunch with one of the body guys who worked at Westmont in a week or two. I know, per conversations with Buxbaum, that they (AMG NA)didn't produce any wide bodied C124s, not sure about BHMA though.
From my research I can find no true M103 or M117 widebodies produced in the USA.
BHMA did a semi widebody which has been posted on a USA forum.
Looked like just a slight flare to the front and rear along with a sheetmetal welded and blended ducktail.

I belive Stratton may have built two cars, and AMG Japan possibly a few.
There is one in the AMG museum but not sure of the drive train in this and the Japan cars.

Believe the UK produced the only two 320CE AMG M103 variants.

You're in Chicago..
Do you know Brian Murphy at Willow Automotive?
Wealth of knowledge on the 124 cars, especially with turbo installs.
I trusted him enough to ship my car from the East Caost so he could do the install of the period TurboTechnics kit ( another UK find !!)
I believe he knows a great deal about what came out of Westmont

Do you think that this was a Stratton only item?
More a UK item...
Believe the only known remaining kit came from the buyout of the Duncan Hamilton ( Hamilton was ex-works Jag D-type driver ) dealerships AMG inventory.

Many more parts exist in the UK then in the USA...

Then again I have seen a few different pics of Japanese Wide Bodies, they seem to use 500E front fenders as well as the 500E rear arches. Looks good but on all the pics I have seen there seems to cladding fit problems. Apparently the heating of the plastic under an IR lamp and then clamping it into shape has eluded them.
Not to mention the 500E front fenders with AMG front bumper just doesn't fit right. I can't put my finger on it but something just doesn't look right.

As a side note, if you could provide the part numbers for the fenders I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanking You in advance.

Ron
These are the part numbers I have off of the kit:

AMG V03B Kotfluegl Verbr.Vgl
W124 CE Breitverson

Front wings:C7880425 and 0426
Side skirts: C7880422 and 0423
Rear wings: C7880427 and 0428

The front has about a 17MM flare and the rear 60MM

If you can give me your email I can scan and send you a copy of the road test on Nick's car "1AMG".

I'll attach a few pix of the widebodies I located .
Anybody that could post any info to "fill in the holes" would be greatly appreciated.
I still believe that only two M103 cars were converted to widebodies and both in the UK?

Ed A.

Nick's car when new

Japan...drivetrain ?

V12 Brabus widebody "lite" one off

AMG Museum widebody..."Hammer" ?

Widebody "lite" done by BHMA

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Just gotta say fellas....your expertise, knowledge, and connections with each other both here and abroad remain an inspiration for me.

Thanks for the exciting photo's and hopes that I too can make the MB enthusiast "connections" you've so clearly demonstrated are possible.

Happy new year guys,
David
Happy New Year David...

2010 is the Chinese year of the working SBP...

Ed A.

·
Registered
682 Posts
i have seen one widebody advertised in north america, it was a simerler colour to eds car, and looked to have the original fiberglass cladding that mine has. i think it was canadian.

i think the cladding will be the stalling point for nev when he comes to fit his kit, i am under the impression that he has the full metalwork, but no fiberglass parts.

i posted my car on the net to show the fit lines that strattons used, and some people have thought that i fitted the kit myself! i could fit one if anyone wants to commision my services, but didnt fit mine!

the tig welder is to allow me to make an uprated intake for my car incorporating a chargecooler and water injection.

the front and rear bumpers on my car are slightly different to standard parts, wich could be modded to look the same (wich is why 500e's dont look right with areo1 front bumpers). the sideskirts and door cladding on my car is considerably different to any standard stuff made by merc, and will, i think, be very very difficult (expensive) to replicate. i have however looked at a number of 129 sl rear bumpers, and i am convinced that they could be used to easly replicate the rear bumper of my car, and have told nev about this.

happy new year everyone.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
i have seen one widebody advertised in north america, it was a simerler colour to eds car, and looked to have the original fiberglass cladding that mine has. i think it was canadian.

i think the cladding will be the stalling point for nev when he comes to fit his kit, i am under the impression that he has the full metalwork, but no fiberglass parts.

i posted my car on the net to show the fit lines that strattons used, and some people have thought that i fitted the kit myself! i could fit one if anyone wants to commision my services, but didnt fit mine!

the tig welder is to allow me to make an uprated intake for my car incorporating a chargecooler and water injection.

the front and rear bumpers on my car are slightly different to standard parts, wich could be modded to look the same (wich is why 500e's dont look right with areo1 front bumpers). the sideskirts and door cladding on my car is considerably different to any standard stuff made by merc, and will, i think, be very very difficult (expensive) to replicate. i have however looked at a number of 129 sl rear bumpers, and i am convinced that they could be used to easly replicate the rear bumper of my car, and have told nev about this.

happy new year everyone.
Happy New Year Nick !!

I don't think Nev has the cladding which is different then stock.
He has the front bumper and side skirts.
If I recall yours is not smooth but has a detail line near the top?

The stock cladding works if you contour the metal underneath to flare to match the wheel arches.
This involved making new mounts for the window regulator in the rear and using 2" teflon spacers in the front.
The stock cladding snaps in and takes the shape of the metal below.

The Extreme Diminesions replica AMG Gen I kit is a perfect fit in the rear.
Only need to add a top filler piece to mate up with the rear wheel arch.
It utilizes the stock bumper impact strips.
The front however was modified by cutting the lower half off and bonding to the stock assembly.
Relief cuts will be made in the corners to flare the side piece out.
A small extension piece will be bonded to the end of the bumper to align with the front wheel arch.

AMG Widebody kit front bumper

Replica front bumper

Relief cuts

Front fitted

Rear fitted

Installing the fog lights will reduce the amount of air entering into the plenum that supplies the intake box and intercooler. C6 Corvette brake cooling intake panels will be bonded to the underside of the bumper. A duct will be taken directly to the air intake box to supply the twin turbos

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Looking good Ed.This one also is an original widebody 1990 W124 Mercedes 300CE-24 + Boost but it came with Mosselman kit.Happy New Year everyone
Thanks much...

Never saw that one...especially with the M104 engine.
I wonder when the body kit was done and who installed it ?

I still believe there are under ten world wide that were constructed using the AMG kits..

1 - 20 of 62 Posts