Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'62 220SE Cabriolet SOLD '63 230 Vanden Plas Estate SOLD '68 300SEL SOLD WTB CLK320 Cab: Call Me Up
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I've been looking into buying a 2002 CLK55 Cabriolet, but wanted to know just why it was only offered that single year. Other CLK Cabriolets were sold in the same body style in 2003, but NO CLK55 cabs.

Was the power too much causing accidents or unmanageable chassis flex and very poor handling on this older platform? Is this why they waited for the new more rigid C-platform to once again offer in 2004 a new version of the CLK55 in cabriolet form? Or was it due to poor sales of the cab version, or excessive costs to properly beef up that older chassis?

Thanks for your comments, as I don't want to buy into a wet noodle... even if I prefer its styling to the W209.

Vic
....the Roadracer...

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Hi Guys,

Was the power too much causing accidents or unmanageable chassis flex and very poor handling on this older platform? Is this why they waited for the new more rigid C-platform to once again offer in 2004 a new version of the CLK55 in cabriolet form? Or was it due to poor sales of the cab version, or excessive costs to properly beef up that older chassis?
The cabrios are heavier than the coupes, but still handle surprisingly well on track. My MB independent owns a supercharged W208/55 cabrio and has never complained about chassis issues.

·
Registered
'62 220SE Cabriolet SOLD '63 230 Vanden Plas Estate SOLD '68 300SEL SOLD WTB CLK320 Cab: Call Me Up
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stiff and ready to ride !

The cabrios are heavier than the coupes, but still handle surprisingly well on track. My MB independent owns a supercharged W208/55 cabrio and has never complained about chassis issues.
Thanks a lot Chappy - it keeps the 2002 cabriolet on my shopping list, way up there if I can find a fresh unmolested unit at a competitive price. :cool:

Cheers,

Vic :thumbsup:

·
Registered
214 SL63/2015 E63s Estate
34 Posts
As Chappy says, there is a weight penalty, but this is more than offset by being able to hear the burble of a great engine!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts