Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First....let me say two things. 1) I'm including a bunch of pics. 2) Yes...my car is filthy. Don't give me no crap people.

Ok.....I decided to try a fun afternoon project. I'm pretty happy with it. I think I could/should have thrown one more coat on there but as it is I like it. Anyway, the pics pretty much tell the whole story. I put 3 light coats of black transparent tint on and 2 coats of clearcoat. Then I took off the tape and gave 2 more quick coats of clearcoat. Enjoy!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Looks good! I thought about doing that to mines too. Did you clear coat the entire tail lamp after you were done or did you just clear coat the tinted area?

·
Registered
02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put two coats on just the area and then took the tape off and put two more coats on the entire tail lamp. It does look really good. I know some people go the opposite route and just tint the red part but I like it better this way.

·
Registered
02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bellx1 - 10/21/2005 5:41 PM

davidalexanderny - 10/21/2005 6:38 PM
Did you clear coat the entire tail lamp after you were done or did you just clear coat the tinted area?
BUMP ... ?

and I must say it looks great..

It took the edge off of the brightness yet is not too dark !

PS.. Great pics of the step by step !
Thank you. It really wasn't hard to do at all. Took me less than 2 hours and I wasn't exactly rushing through it either.

·
worst mod in BW history
ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
27,762 Posts
Looks great! I did the reverse and tinted the red part but now I'm thinking about doing the clear also.

·
worst mod in BW history
ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
27,762 Posts
blackbenzz - 10/22/2005 11:34 AM

That looks good! I was thinking about doing this but since everything on my car is silver I wasnt so sure about how it was going to look. Anybody have pic son a silver car?
That's why I tinted the red part instead. Also I have clear sidemarkers and clear blinkers(changed yellow bulb for led)so Iwanted it all to match.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
JT, that looks great. I've been thinking about a couple of light passes on just the backup area, then a couple on the entire lens to tint it all a small amount. Picked up the stuff, just haven't found time when the weather has been conducive to the project.

Gateway1, here's a link to the publication on this site for step by step: http://www.benzworld.org/publications/pub.asp?id=164

You can get the tint and clearcoat at any good hobby shop.

·
Registered
1999 CLK320
83 Posts
i did my taillights on friday....they turned out great but instead of using the high gloss clearcoat i used Ultra gloss clearcoat which left more of a metalic look that a gloss look.

·
Registered
01 CLK55 & 00 ML55
863 Posts
deyainrdy4ds said:
EKlassbenz & daguitarist.....u guys got pics? and what exact kind (brand and everything needed) of products did you use?
So far, i've used Pactra RC294 window tint and you can get rustoleum clearcoat enamel. I just tinted and clearcoated...haven't dealt w/ sanding or polishing yet. I have rubbing compound and some 400 grit paper, but I think i need more like 800 paper. I might try just using rubbing compound and polish. I'll let you know how it works. here's a phone pic of what it looks like w/ 3 light-medium coats of window tint and 3 coats of clear

Attachments

·
Registered
w208
1,462 Posts
good job! it looks hot....im getin black rims, grille, etc....so i was debatin if i should tint out the white part black or the red part of the taillite, black....i should be doing this in a month or so ...so ya just keep me updated on how it all turns out for you...thanks

·
Registered
01 CLK55 & 00 ML55
863 Posts
so i suck at the clearcoating and polishing stage. the clearcoat was stopped up and didn't spray right, so it's not glassy. I suck at wet sanding...so the clear is really glossy, but not even. any good painters (wet sanders etc) have suggestions or guidance?

Every time I try to wet sand, it just takes the gloss away. I used wet sanding and polish, but didn't have any wax, so it wasn't shiny. And the clearcoat is still lumpy (the bottle was clogged and it made the finish uneven). I put on another layer of clearcoat just for a temporary fix so i can drive! It looks fine unless you're a foot or 2 away and then you can see it isn't glass smooth

1 - 20 of 32 Posts