Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a set of AMG side skirts that I bought from Jonthan yesterday and I'm quite excited about them. :D

Only one has the AMG stamp and markings: AMG 7880377, 1810025304. The first number is of the standard AMG nomenklature. I don't recognize the second number.

They're quite different from the set of side skirts I have from a Series 1 SE. The SEC ones are made of fiberglass and are therefore quite rigid, whereas the skirts for the SE are made of PUR, a much more flexible polymer.

One thing I hadn't thought about is that the side skirts cover the jack holes and I will need to get another jack for the car. I have a floor jack in my garage, so at home it doesn't matter.

As you can see from the pictures, the rear bumper skirt is not really deep enough to match the side skirts and front spoiler. That is a Series 1 bumper skirt and I guess I'll be hunting for a more aggressive rear skirt/spoiler next.

The side skirts are going to the body shop for fixing and painting on Monday. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
From my understanding, the fiberglass ones are fake - down to their AMG stampings.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Very nice, there is a pretty noticeable difference there. The SE ones are more subtle, was there a difference in the ones made for Euero SEC's and American ones such as size to match the larger NA bumpers?

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Fake...Really?? That's news to me...I've seen quite a few fiberglass valences on a fair number of vintage AMG's. I remember reading somewhere that they used both materials in their production.

When were the fakes supposedly produced..the car these came off of was totaled back in the early 90's and was sitting in a yard till a few years ago.

Jonathan

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Fake...Really?? That's news to me...I've seen quite a few fiberglass valences on a fair number of vintage AMG's. I remember reading somewhere that they used both materials in their production.
Going from my 80s memory, AMG heavily advertised that the kits were the "polyformed something or other (plastic?)". On my 1983 500SL, all the body pieces are polyformed plastic - no fiberglass. On my 1987 300E AMG, I have a fiberglass front, but polyformed plastic sides and rear; I think the front is a replacement due to years of damage, however.

What I remember most in my readings on AMG was that the polyformed plastic was the only material that could withstand the years of use while retaining its durability. Fiberglass was a cheap alternative, and AMG was anything but cheap.

I could be wrong on all counts, so I'd love to know the truth. I have to call Barry Taylor this week anyways, so I'll ask him while I got him on the phone. He ought to know.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I've seen both. My w123 has a plastic front and fiberglass sides and rear. In looking through boxes of side skirts, again, its mixed. Some are fiberglass, others are plastic. I'd be interested in hearing what Barry says.

If I were making them, I'd say only the front would need to be plastic as the sides and rear probably won't face the abuse a front bumper would.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts