Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 500SEL AMG, 90 560SEC AMG, 85 500SEC AMG Widebody
1,729 Posts
Asking opinions on wheels for the W126 is dangerous - you will get 100 different views from 100 different people.

My personal view is that 18" wheels look too big for a W126 because the wheel opening in each fender (wing) was designed for a 15"-16" wheel. I realize you can change the aspect ratio of the tire to keep a consistent rolling radius, but the visual perception is still a too big wheel for the opening. Lowering the car (springs) certainly helps the visual issue, but not entirely.

The 17" AMG Aero I wheels look great on W126's that are lowered.

You also need to be very mindful of the offset of the wheels in your link - W126's need low offsets to work. This subject has been discussed at length on this board. Be sure you know the offset of any wheel you are considering to avoid an expensive mistake if you have rubbing issues.

Al

·
Premium Member
W123 230TE | W126 560SEC | W126 560SEL
477 Posts

·
Registered
84 500SEL AMG, 90 560SEC AMG, 85 500SEC AMG Widebody
1,729 Posts
Exactly - the gap looks awful with large diameter wheels and the car not lowered.

Again - please pay close attention to the wheel offset - this is must-know information before you buy any Mercedes wheel (or non-Mercedes wheel for that matter). Any Mercedes wheel will bolt on (5x112 bolt pattern), but the offset is critical to ensure a proper fit without rubbing or sticking in/out too far.

If you depart from your stock wheel/tire setup, the rolling radius must be maintained - there are many posts on this subject - use the Search function. There are tire/wheel rolling radius calculators on the internet to help with this. If the rolling radius is too far off, your speedometer will not display the correct speed.

Al

·
Registered
1983 500 SEC Lorinser 1971 280se w108
1,963 Posts
Saw a 380SEC with the same wheels as OPs add parked in the street a couple of days ago
They are obviously look a likes
They actually didn't look too horrible in fact a lot of people would like em looks and fit wise
However the guy was running big spacers to make the offsets work and with 18s and low profiles ride will be noticeably effected..

·
Registered
1988 560 SEC
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replies guys!

i'll take into account the size and offset.

gonna continue the difficult search for the Aero Is in South Africa!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts