Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
'89 300E Turbo project, ‘85 Audi Coupe Quattro, ‘71 BMW turbo 2002, '73 BMW 2002tii, ‘67 Kaiser M725
17,691 Posts
Those wheels are indeed chrome underneath. I'm currently dechroming my Aero 1's for the same ailments those OZ's have. Completed one and it turned out fine. The chrome on face was like paper foil and lips were a harder, thicker chromed metal.

If you buy the wheels and get buyers remorse, I'll buy them off you as is. There is/was a set on eBay for like $3500 I wanted to buy, but I couldn't bring myself to pay that for used wheels.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Would anyone have the guts to put an offer behind those wheels and those pictures? If so, I could go out on a limb and buy them. It would require buying the whole 1992 r129. (I have stock wheels and tires for the 1992 r129.)

·
'89 300E Turbo project, ‘85 Audi Coupe Quattro, ‘71 BMW turbo 2002, '73 BMW 2002tii, ‘67 Kaiser M725
17,691 Posts
That's a great job, Nutz.
Thanks, after the black paint cured, I wetsanded them from 1200, 1500, and 2000 then polished the entire wheel. Gotta find the pic or go take another up close photo here in a few.

·
17,691 Posts
Would anyone have the guts to put an offer behind those wheels and those pictures? If so, I could go out on a limb and buy them. It would require buying the whole 1992 r129. (I have stock wheels and tires for the 1992 r129.)

How much you thinking?

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
How much you thinking?

Whole car is under $4500 plus my local state taxes for the purchase. I was interested when I thought I could sell wheels for $2000 and car for. $4000. Doesn't seem feasible now that I know they are painted over chrome. See second four pics in post 1. Those are what my interest was based upon.

·
17,691 Posts
About a week dirty in these photos I just took.

One of the wheels I haven't gotten to yet and in same condition finished wheel was.

·
Registered
62,475 Posts
Ok. So I will go back to my previous assumption, which is that powder coating over chrome is asinine.

It would be asinine if that's what it was said, but it wasn't.

Have you ever seen any powdercoating done without prepping the surface? And if the surface is nasty old chrome falling apart, do you think any company will just powder coat on top of it? Are we 5 year olds that have to have every obvious detail explained?.... listen, johnny, make sure you have gas in the tank before going on that car trip to Vegas, you hear?... :read:

I also understand that metal/chemical plating is only as good as the underlying surface. I thought you had to have smooth metal to start with, at which point, why not just polish the aluminum.

You could, nobody said you couldn't, but polishing will not protect the already compromised surface of a wheel like powder coating would. As time goes on you would still have to keep polishing and waxing.

But I don't really care one way or another and kick myself for once again just trying to offer some advice so people can crap all over it. As usual. :)

So I'll leave all the experts with this...

Wheels: Technical Service Bulletins
Wheels - Recommendation Against Chroming Alloy Wheels
Date: February 2008
Order No.: S-B-40.10/18a
Supersedes: MBNA 40/18 dated April, 1991
Group: 40
Revision History
Revision Date Purpose a 02/2008 Updated to include current models - 04/1991 Initial issue SUBJECT:

All Models Chrome Plating of Mercedes-Benz Light Alloy Wheels Warning! Chrome plating of Mercedes-Benz light alloy wheels is not recommended.

The reason that we do not recommend chrome plating is as follows:

When chrome plating an Mercedes-Benz light alloy wheel, the wheel must first be anodized (copper plated).

The difference in EMF (Electro-Motive Force) values between copper and aluminum results in electrolytic corrosion with aluminum being the sacrificial metal. This will result in weakening of the base metal as well as poor adhesion of the subsequent plating, and thereby premature flaking of the chrome finish.

Wheels of cast light alloy, with their porous surface, are even more susceptible to this condition than those of forged light alloys

Porsche Aluminum Road Wheels

Model Group

All 4

Part Identifier Number

4410 9011
ATTENTION: Service Manager/Service Technician

This bulletin supersedes Technical Bulletin Group 4, Number 8705, Book D, page 163.

Models Affected: All

General Information: Porsche does not approve of chrome plating Porsche aluminum road wheels.

Corrosion tests by PAG on chrome plated aluminum wheels have shown heavy pitting, especially with winter use.

The high difference in potential between the base metal of the wheel and the plating material (chrome, nickel) may cause pitting and could reduce wheel strength.

Polishing road wheels is an acceptable alternative. When polished, the wheel's protective coating is removed. To avoid corrosion and discoloration, wheel maintenance will need to be increased.

Warranty Information: Corrosion and/or discoloration due to a lack of maintenance are not a warranty matter.

Important Note: Please make a copy of this bulletin and give to your dealership's Sales Manager and General Manager.

People love the look & shine or of traditional chrome plated wheels. While this is all and good, most chrome plated wheels are a migraine headache just waiting to happen.

The traditional chroming process produces a nice looking new wheel. Very shiny, very pretty...Ooooh, look at that!

However, in reality, you will have nothing but problems in the future with traditional chrome.

The chroming process actually begins to deteriorate the aluminum of the wheel as soon as it begins, and consequently weakens the structure of the wheel itself. This process is also extremely hazardous, and produces many toxic byproducts.

Q: Ever have a chrome plated wheel that leaks, and you don't know why?

A: Over time (and not so much time) the chrome will start to pit, peel and corrode. This is caused by just the basic elements in nature. You know, road salt, brake dust, curbs, etc. Once the chrome plating is compromised (ie. cracked, gouged, curbed, etc.), the aluminum below it (the actual wheel itself) begins to oxidize (this is caused by exposure to oxygen and moisture) and corrode.

Once the corrosion starts, and it will, it is only a matter of time before the wheel/tire starts to leak, and the general appearance of the wheel degrades. The chrome will start to pit, crack and peel. There is NO WAY TO AVOID THIS once it begins. This is just a common (and not advertised) side effect of the process. There are different qualities of chroming out there, but in this situation, you don't always get what you pay for.

Many of the domestic OE Manufacturers (ie. GM, Chrysler, Ford) offer chrome plated wheels as a factory option for most of their vehicles. Whereas, the majority of the Highline Import brands (ie. BMW, Jaguar, Porsche, Mercedes) do not offer this as an option from the factory. In fact, Hexavalent / Trivalent Chromium (typical tradition chrome) production is not even permitted in Europe due to the toxicity and environmental impacts. Most of the world's chrome plating of automobile wheels is being done in China.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,621 Posts
That's not true at all. I am watching a show on chrome right now and aluminum is often plated chrome, you just have to nickle plate it first.

Also, you do NOT what to powder coat over chrome without stripping the chrome off first, because as the chrome further peels off, it will take the PC off too.
For Germany:
Chromed aluminum wheels are not legal in Germany.
All wheels need to have a TUV security certification.
Chroming of TUV certified aluminum wheels at a later date invalidated the certificate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technischer_Überwachungsverein

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
It would be asinine if that's what it was said, but it wasn't.

Have you ever seen any powdercoating done without prepping the surface? And if the surface is nasty old chrome falling apart, do you think any company will just powder coat on top of it? Are we 5 year olds that have to have every obvious detail explained?.... listen, johnny, make sure you have gas in the tank before going on that car trip to Vegas, you hear?... :read:

You could, nobody said you couldn't, but polishing will not protect the already compromised surface of a wheel like powder coating would. As time goes on you would still have to keep polishing and waxing.

But I don't really care one way or another and kick myself for once again just trying to offer some advice so people can crap all over it. As usual. :)

So I'll leave all the experts with this...

Why not say what you mean then? Nobody to that point in the thread had mentioned anything about chrome stripping.

Your post:

I'm sure you know this but, if the chrome deterioration is not too bad, you can powder coat them and get a few more years out of them.

Don't get your panties in a bunch because your post seemed to imply powder coating over chrome.

If it wasn't what you intended, then I can't see why you'd be offended by my comment of calling it asinine. :D

·
Premium Member
87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
4,226 Posts
About a week dirty in these photos I just took.

One of the wheels I haven't gotten to yet and in same condition finished wheel was.

Those AMG letters on the Caps
is that a compete sticker covering the cap?
Or is it just the AMG letters affixed to the cap?
Curious as it looks better than just a plain face on the cap
If you had the caps re-furbed where did you source the stickers if you don't mind saying.
Good work -the rims look great

·
17,691 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I'm guessing my only shot at selling those wheels would be to refuse to inspect them and sell them on ebay with virtually no description.

Anyone interested in them?

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
Not a three piece but a one piece, the bolt-head's are plastic and sit in a hole some good ones made in germany but a lot of cheap ones made in china and liable to give trouble when under stress Be Aware

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello Mr.Wheelhoader,

As long as the wheels are true and straight, you can't go wrong.... that's my opinion of the day! Price is right? Take it as it is !

21 - 38 of 38 Posts