Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not real sure the angle of the bolt seat on the Replica AMG's over stock, I'd imagine them to be the same, but, I'll throw this out to you with much more time with SL's. Is there a favored lock to use? I'v found some on ebay that look like they would be pretty secure as far as the likelyhood of others having the same key/nut, still I wonder what your all using or your thoughts. The ebay jobs list them as compatable, but I question the seat angle from stock wheels verses these AMG's. It would seem they'd incorperate the same configuraton for the fasteners, but?

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,588 Posts
I'm not real sure the angle of the bolt seat on the Replica AMG's over stock, I'd imagine them to be the same, but, I'll throw this out to you with much more time with SL's. Is there a favored lock to use? I'v found some on ebay that look like they would be pretty secure as far as the likelyhood of others having the same key/nut, still I wonder what your all using or your thoughts. The ebay jobs list them as compatable, but I question the seat angle from stock wheels verses these AMG's. It would seem they'd incorperate the same configuraton for the fasteners, but?
Link?

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,588 Posts
Stuff play-dough in the wheel to make a mold of the bolt pattern. That will certainly tell you the type (ball or cone seat). I spray with wd40 for easy play-dough extraction. :)
That's "Play-Doh" Fonzi. It also works as a great barrier when heating the steering wheel bolt for removal. I also used it to make sure the heads on my '73 were not machined so much that the valves hit the piston.:thumbsup:

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,823 Posts
That's "Play-Doh" Fonzi. It also works as a great barrier when heating the steering wheel bolt for removal. I also used it to make sure the heads on my '73 were not machined so much that the valves hit the piston.:thumbsup:
You can learn so much on this forum! :)

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,588 Posts
Yeah, spend a couple grand on rebuilding an engine then cheap out and use play-doh instead of real clay. But hey. It worked!

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,823 Posts
Yeah, spend a couple grand on rebuilding an engine then cheap out and use play-doh instead of real clay. But hey. It worked!
You guys on this forum have so many good "alternate" ideas, or "household remedies" for so many things that I was thinking about starting a thread on possible alternatives to getting a vasectomy. Are we at 10 posts yet?

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,588 Posts
You guys on this forum have so many good "alternate" ideas, or "household remedies" for so many things that I was thinking about starting a thread on possible alternatives to getting a vasectomy. Are we at 10 posts yet?
Close enough since GH hasn't given a link.
You already posted one alternative. Warm Play-Doh in the microwave. WD40. They rest is in your hands.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wanted to post the ones I found on ebay, but the picture would not load, and my ignorance of how to post a link (which I'v never done before) prevented a link. Though I think I'v located the proper bevel angle for my particular wheels. But I will consult www.Adsitco.com a parts retailer, to be sure. It seems after-markets designed for an SL would be conscious of the wheel lug angle in their design, thus an after-market compatible lock set would also carry on the angle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts