Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300SD
203 Posts
Wow, very nice, but I dont know current prices for these items. Is 1400$ acceptable? it just seems like alot of money...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Very nice, ya the price about right although I seen them go higher since these are discontinued in the late eighties which make them hard to find. love to have it

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
Ten years ago I looked into this kind of thing, and a new Remus muffler for the W126 priced out at about $750, so this is probably reasonable, all things considered.

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
I think its unreasonable as if you look closely, the whole muffler has been painted. The chrome tips are supposed to be much longer.

A while back, there was a seller selling NEW Remus W126 exhausts in the $350 range... just for the rear box. Here you've got a used, painted over chrome tips for 3-4 times more.

Now, if the muffler was NEW... then I'd say its very reasonable.

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
OMG. you'd have to be a fool to pay $1400 for a muffler. you can buy a descent car for that price. i swear, people make such nasty inflation on prices just cause it's a period AMG piece. what is everyone's fascination with ///-less AMG pieces?! i'm sure timevalve can replicate that muffler to exact dimmensions inside and out with stainless steel for 1/3 of that price. shit, you could even find genuine tips or the exact same style/size and have them engraved with the logos. no one would even know the difference! then you could sell them on ebay for hundreds of dollars.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
^^^good observations, especially in view of the fact the market is flat for the whole W126 gasser line these days.

I think also, everyone here would agree that you have the most knowledge and are probably the best fabricator of W126 exhausts of anybody around here, so I'd accept what you said as pretty much the last word about the choices...

Real AMG pieces form the 80's seem to be doing pretty well on the market these days, nonetheless....some people are willing to pay for that stuff, just like the $2,000,000 1971 Plymouth Barracuda convertible last year: a slapped together good looking piece of junk car that can only accellerate and sound good, can't corner, brake or handle for shit, but yet they sell for silly money,.... the American muscle car fad....... there is no accounting for taste, go figure.....

·
Registered
'90 560SEL
2,551 Posts
NüR-SPEC said:
OMG. you'd have to be a fool to pay $1400 for a muffler. you can buy a descent car for that price. i swear, people make such nasty inflation on prices just cause it's a period AMG piece. what is everyone's fascination with ///-less AMG pieces?! i'm sure timevalve can replicate that muffler to exact dimmensions inside and out with stainless steel for 1/3 of that price. shit, you could even find genuine tips or the exact same style/size and have them engraved with the logos. no one would even know the difference! then you could sell them on ebay for hundreds of dollars.
I reckon your reply nailed the opinions of many around here!.
Dunno about the AMG tip stamping for fakes though - even with genuine AMG this is an absurd affection - It's only a bloody exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
$2,000,000!!!?!?!?! absurd.. for that kind of money you can make your own car. something completely unique to perfectly suit your tastes.

i've also noticed how people claim a set value on something, but when it comes to selling for that value, no one is willing to pay what it's worth. i've gotten completely f***ed on the sale of my 16x8" ET11 pentas. people say they are worth a bit over $1,000 in perfect condition, but i couldn't even get my asking price of $800 for fully restored original pentas with 21 stage hand polished lips. i did however get about 6 offers for $300... i got $600+ shipping and even then, i never recieved the money for shipping. then i find a refund request on paypal!? still in limbo with that one. if people will openly say what they are worth then shy away when they're for sale, then either everyone is a shark out for a steal, or the market really is horrid.

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
shrimpton said:
It's only a bloody exhaust pipe.
EXACTLY...

however, WE are the ones who determine the value of these parts. all of us. it's just a matter of how greedy you are and if you can corner the target market and appeal to it. most all of us enthusiasts are the source of the inflation.

·
Registered
'90 560SEL
2,551 Posts
NüR-SPEC said:
EXACTLY...

however, WE are the ones who determine the value of these parts. all of us. it's just a matter of how greedy you are and if you can corner the target market and appeal to it. most all of us enthusiasts are the source of the inflation.
My whole exhaust system replacement cost about $600 a couple of years ago - works for me.

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
it's funny that in 8 years of R&D, i've come to find the most simple, cost efficient setup is typically the better performer.

i only use mild steel tubing because it is quieter than stainless.
smaller diameter to maintain velocity (cfm).
thick 3 bolt flanges (so i don't have the need for a turbulant flex pipe).
mandrel bends are also a plus in reducing the turbulance.
a cowled resonator allows heat retention to allow the gasses to flow faster aswell as being quieter and cheaper than a glasspack.
and a simple non-baffled magnaflow stainless satin canister muffler with a stainless non-polished tailpipe.

and that's where the power, smooth deep tone, and low decibels come from. and that should cost no more than $500 if done by a respectable indy exhaust shop.

·
Registered
'90 560SEL
2,551 Posts
'and that's where the power, smooth deep tone, and low decibels come from. and that should cost no more than $500 if done by a respectable indy exhaust shop.'

Exactly!
Mine is as you describe it should be (above) and done by a local exhaust shop with commonly available componentry - nothing fancy wancy.

·
Registered
'90 560SEL
2,551 Posts
Ooooh yeah!.
But I do appreciate the committment others make to preserve originality in - or add period correct features to their car....just not to the extent of such silly priced arse pipe extensions.

·
Registered
1983 Euro 500SEC AMG, 83 SEC custom convertible, 2x 84 500SEC, 02 w203coupe, euro 1985 300d
1,579 Posts
Talbir might buy it for that to add on his fine collection--some have deeper pockets than others and not bothered by the price--but if it is not original then it is not worth the price--- from past expirience, i had one of these mufflers made by sebring and they are total crap---mine rusted from the inside out---it is really shoddy material unless you put it in the garage and don't use it----I kept just the tips when i threw the dodgy pos in the trash can--my brabus one sopunds much deeper and it is made of stainless

·
Registered
1982 300CD|1998 GMC Sierra 2500 6.5 Turbo Diesel|2008 Chevy Cobalt 2.2L DD
2,003 Posts
What metal is that? if it was a stainless steel muffler I would have paid for it, It looks like a perfect peice. But it is a lot..

·
Registered
83 300d turbo, 79 c123 AMG
1,870 Posts
That price is out of this world. Based on the fact that it has been painted, I am going to assume this muffler has been USED!

I guess my $100 for a new AMG muffler wasn't so bad. I thought the price was high too.

·
Registered
1982 300CD|1998 GMC Sierra 2500 6.5 Turbo Diesel|2008 Chevy Cobalt 2.2L DD
2,003 Posts
AH!
I want it! haha

·
Registered
89 SL RENNtech / 89 AMG 560 SEC
241 Posts
if you look at the tips, one side is damaged and the whole muffler appears to be filled w/ mufffler bandage and painted over corrosion

if memory serves me -- the seller is the Kyle that used to sell the AMG cars

1 - 20 of 20 Posts