Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come across a set of AMG Monoblock 1, two-piece's (the 8.5J 10J ones with the billets). However, they don't have the AMG logo on it. Seller claims it was off an SL600 without AMG package which is why it doesn't have the AMG logo.

Has anyone ever come across a set of genuine OEM without the AMG words on the wheel? Or does that mean these are replicas?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have a set of each. The genuine AMGs have the logo cast/stamped on one of the spokes and the rims can be separated from the spokes, the others have NO logo and the bolts that appear to hold the rims to the spokes are fake, all one casting.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Definately fake. Beware of shady people like him.

Just wondering, what kind of stamp or part number do they have on the inside of the rim?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the responses. I personally don't mind using replicas, but it's good to have this confirmation so that he loses his leverage on pricing.

One of my concerns is that he is selling them with tires included. The rears are using 265/35/R18. It is my understanding that the OEM set up is 275/35/R18.

What are the differences/concerns for using the 265's instead of 275's?

·
Registered
305 Posts
If hes trying to rip you off, you are still going to buy from him? hmm.

different size tires will fit on the same rim... maybe he chose the thinner one to prevent the tire from hitting the sidewall? just a guess...
or maybe 265 is cheaper?

·
Registered
282 Posts
"ripping off" ???

Giving the seller the benefit of a doubt... Maybe he's telling the truth as he thinks it. Maybe he doesn't really know what he's selling, real or replica.. It's really up to the buyer to be informed when buying a used anything and dskippy888 is doing the right thing.

·
Greek God of the R129
8,364 Posts
I was never good in Latin. Haha.

But anyways here it comes.

BUYER BE AWARE.

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are there any visual differences between using 265's for the rear instead of 275? Any advantages for 265? My car has the stock suspension and original ride height

·
Registered
692 Posts
I've had a few sets of these too. Never come across anyone that have had any problem with them including myself. There are so few wheels that suit the R129 that i'd say even those replicas are now sought after, I don't think anyone makes them anymore(which is a shame because i'd buy another set!). If the polished rim edges are good and the price fair i'd go for them. 265's fine but less rim protection if you happen to nudge a kerb! fronts should be 245 40 18. But s'pose 235's would be ok too.

The only other wheels i'd consider which I think from memory are not completely crazy money are new genuine MB 5 spoke staggered set which are not split rims. They look quite simelar. Think they may be slightly less wide maybe 9.5 rear's.

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have come across a set of AMG Monoblock 1, two-piece's (the 8.5J 10J ones with the billets). However, they don't have the AMG logo on it. Seller claims it was off an SL600 without AMG package which is why it doesn't have the AMG logo.

Has anyone ever come across a set of genuine OEM without the AMG words on the wheel? Or does that mean these are replicas?
You do have to beware of replica wheels.

This is what they should look like:
AMG alloy wheels | Genuine new 17" AMG I 3pc | fits Mercedes SL Class R129 | Alloy Wheels Direct Ltd

·
Registered
692 Posts

·
W168, W169 Moderator
5,293 Posts
If you like debadge rims or stealth look, then go for it..:thumbsup:... lol.....:D

·
10,293 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts